Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - In Car Mount For iCN 520 (Pretty Rubbish?!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

In Car Mount For iCN 520 (Pretty Rubbish?!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monsieurcanard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: In Car Mount For iCN 520 (Pretty Rubbish?!) Reply with quote

Hi All,

Having recently purchased my Navman, my fears about the window mount proved to be real. I have a Peugeot 406, like most modern cars the dash is quite deep, being some way from the window screen. Why oh why do navman produce such a useless mount? It is much too far away from the driver and gets all the reflections! What I really need is a length of 'bendy' type stick between the window 'sucker' and the cradle to bring the satnav closer to the driver. I've seen these for other satnavs/PDA's, are there any for the navman? I thought about sending off for one but don't know if the ball socket would be the same, my thinking being that I could just use the 'goose-neck' bendy bit.

Anyone know of any goose neck type attachments that would fit the Navamans cradle?

Hope this all makes sense!

Regards,

Bob
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Navman cradle Reply with quote

http://www.carkitonline.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=175_220

Have a look at this page. It's not exactly what you want but could be a suitable alternative. Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair to Navman, the iCN510/520 mount is one of the better ones. The long bendy 'goose' neck type mounts wobble and vibrate so much that they're pretty poor.

I have a 406 and mount my 520 to the right of the steering wheel using the original mount and have no problems reaching it. However if you prefer to mount it in the centre I'd reccomend the Brodit iCN510/520 mount, coupled with a ProClip it can mount to the dash without requiring any holes be drilled.

See a picture in this thread and more details here.

www.brodit.com

Last edited by Darren on Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dilemma
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staples sell the flexible mount you refer to for £4.49, and you can rotate it 90 degrees to accomadate the 520. I used to have a 510 and it worked a treat. It also comes with the fixings to allow it to be fitted to an air vent if you prefer.
kjelln
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at my post 'Good position in a Seat Toledo.
This may work ok in a 406 as well.
monsieurcanard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies, Dilemma, what you describe sounds more appealing in terms of cost, however, I can't find anything like on Staples website. Could you be more specific?

All these other mounts seem good but very expensive considering I've just paid out £300!

Given me some ideas though, thanks again.

Regards,

Bob
Dilemma
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The item I bought was a generic mount and bought in store.
I have long since binned the packaging but if you look at their instore PDA/ phone accessory section, the item was in a blister pack with a red background. I am back in staples Thursday evening to pick an order up, and if they have stock will let you know the stock order number via the forum.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monsieurcanard wrote:
Thanks for your replies, Dilemma, what you describe sounds more appealing in terms of cost, however, I can't find anything like on Staples website. Could you be more specific?

All these other mounts seem good but very expensive considering I've just paid out £300!

Given me some ideas though, thanks again.

Regards,

Bob

Further to Dilemma's post, I had to go to Staples today - the mount is a PDA Vent Mount and the number is 380005-233 ande now costs £6.99 (that's inflation). it is still in the blister pack with a red background. I did not buy one as I dod not have my device with me and I would like to fit it before buying. The pack also contains a couple of adapters to use it in the air vent.

Good advice Dilemma Exclamation
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monsieurcanard wrote:

Think about what you wrote there! You've invested £300 in a delicate piece of electronics and yet you don't think it reasonable to spend a bit extra on a secure mount!

When your £9.99 vent mount dumps your £300 investment on the floor you'll wish you'd bought a Brodit. Pay cheap pay twice as the saying goes Smile
monsieurcanard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
monsieurcanard wrote:

Think about what you wrote there! You've invested £300 in a delicate piece of electronics and yet you don't think it reasonable to spend a bit extra on a secure mount!

When your £9.99 vent mount dumps your £300 investment on the floor you'll wish you'd bought a Brodit. Pay cheap pay twice as the saying goes Smile

Hi Darren,

I just knew someone was going to say that! What you say is of course true and quite reasonable. I may well end up going that route but I come from a background of trying to sort a problem by my own initiative if I can. So once I decide I can't sort it, I'll maybe give Brodit a call.

Keep up the good work, newbies like appreciate it!

Best Regards,

Bob
Dilemma
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Just because Navman mount costs just south of £30, does not mean you are getting a superior product (could be that Navman are ripping off it's customer base, and may in fact be no coincidence that there rivals are gaining ground on them very fast).

I assure you the mount I bought was more than adequate for the job, and in fact better as it allowed the unit to be fitted to the cars air vents avoiding windscreen glare.

Strangley enough, I still have the mount but have long got rid of the 510 in favour of Tomtom!!!

Kind of says it all really.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to the Brodit Mount Smile I use them and they are worth every penny as anyone who has one will attest.
monsieurcanard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again!

It's all relative to what you want to or are willing to spend. Personally, if I can buy something that does the job from Staples for less than a tenner, then that's what I'll buy! I don't care about looks, style etc I just want something to do the job. But then I'm 50years, younger peaople these days tend to want and expect more (if they can afford it fine, mostly they can't! but that doesn't stop 'em!! (sorry going off on one). Tomorrow, I am sticking a circular piece of plastic on the dash and then try the suction mount on that, to me I will get more satisfaction out of that if it works than spending x amount on the other stuff,...if it works!!!

Regards,

Bob
monsieurcanard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help re the mount. I will check Staple website again to see if I can get it, assuming they will deliver to france- I suspect not.

Regards,

Bob

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: