Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go 700 Reboots During Traffic Updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go 700 Reboots During Traffic Updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark_Darlington
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the original prognosis is pretty much spot on. I've had this problem twice, that the GPRS signal was lost during a traffic update and the system rebooted.

In my opinion it's related to the way the unit handles an incomplete traffic feed based on the mobile phone signal dropping out.

I don't think the units are faulty per se. I also had already loaded the updated OS for the unit.

I was on the free 1 month trial at the time - it hasn't done it since I've subscribed, but that could be a complete red herring because it maybe that I haven't lost the signal during an update.

A possible issue is that during the free trial you download all the traffic data for the UK and Europe I believe, which obviously you don't do if you only then subscribe for UK traffic data - so less data to download and less chance of the signal dropping out during the transfer. Just a thought.

Cheers,
Mark
rico670
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

You could be right. Ever since I had the problem I've been more careful as to when I start updating the traffic information, in other words I've not been starting it in areas where I know my mobile has a bad reception. Since I've been doing this I've not had another recurrence of the reboots.
PeteD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a possible 'work round' but there are a couple of potential problems I can see.

Firstly, don't you risk not knowing about traffic problems by using this approach? I travel around the country a lot and IMHO having the automatic updating feature enabled is integral to the usefulness of the Traffic service.

Secondly, I don't think I should be having to monitor the strength of my mobile signal while I'm driving and then deciding whether it's safe to up date traffic or not.

It'd be better if someone could fix it so it works like it's meant to. Hope springs eternal! Smile

p.s. for Mark - it's definitely not related to the Trial version of traffic. I've been subscribed to the full version since July and have been living with this problem since then. Two different TomTom's, three different phones, three different firmwares... only constant has been Vodafone PAYG GPRS service Crying or Very sad
warners
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this problem since Xmas at times when you would expect traffic to be busy, i.e. Monday morning. It happend last Monday and again today. Rest of the time it just seems slow to start with and then ok once it's going. Would this get better if I subscribed to the service?

My free period is comming to an end, does anyone think that it's worth subscribing to this service. It's something that attracted me to my TT700 but I am not sure now.

Disgruntled
Steve

Sad Sad Sad Sad
warners
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Traffic update for Monday 16th Reply with quote

Earlier post was based on travelling at about 10:00. I tried again about 18:30 and the unit just kept on rebooting. Has anyone else had problems today or is it just me? I can't believe that it's a hardware fault so it's either software, the traffic server being down or the traffic data itself. Is there a pattern with this? I have reported the problem to TT but I don't believe that I will get a sinsible answer.

Cheers
Steve
gg2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am yet another TTGO user suffering with the unit rebooting at what seems to be random intervals. It happened at least 6 times prior to activating Traffic and now has happened during a traffic download

The problem has occured both pre and post the latest sotware update.

I think TT have a real problem but as always they are unlikely to admit it Exclamation
mawsonp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is reassuring that others are experiencing these problems, the more people that have this problem, the more likely TT is to look at it.

My big dilema now is do I sign up for a year after my trial or wait to see whether TT fix the bug.

BTW tried another phone with my Vodafone sim this week (thats three in all now) and my TT One still crashed and rebooted, for me it appears to be Vodafone and not the phone.

Phil.
warners
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update, today (Tuesday) the traffic worked ok although it can take quite a while to get the initial load. Would this be quicker if I had a paid subscription and just downloaded the UK data?

No answer yet from TT support

Steve
rico670
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Got a reply from TomTom and they say it's because my trial subscription is bringing down all the traffic maps and that's why it's causing the problem. Here's part of what they said.....

" We have spoken to the technical department and we believe the problem with rebooting is due to the amount of traffic data being processed by the GO700 unit...........in the case that you are downloading the traffic information for entire europe we would like to disable some of the countries. Please let us know which countries you are currently nor interested in regarding the traffic information."
woodey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been having the same problem with my TT reboting I contacted TT and thay said it was a problem with my Nokia 6230. Heres their reply:We have got some feedbacks from customer using a nokia 6230 and they were reporting the same problem that you are experiencing.
Our testing team was able to reproduce the issue and it seems related to the ROM version of the phone.
Could you please check if you have the latest version installed on your nokia?
The problem looks happening when bigger amount of data are downloaded via the phone: that's why you could get problems during rush time as the number of incidents that you need to download is bigger.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
warners
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a reply from TomTom. They suggested doing a soft reset of the unit by bunging a pin in the reset hole. They also said move to s/w 5.42 which I was on anyway.

The unit has been working ok all week. It's very slow to get the data in the morning and quite fast in the evening. I am convinced that volume of data is one of the contributing factors. However, there have been occasions where the unit has been rebooting all day so there must be something else as well.

Steve
warners
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unit rebooted again this morning (twice). Anybody else have the problem? I live west of the M25 between the M3 and M4 and travel on either to work. Could the problem be to do with the area / route that I take?

Reported the problem to TomTom again. Let's see what comes back this time. I will not subscribe to the service until they can fix these problems.

Steve

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
rico670
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Got TomTom to change my trial subsciption to only download UK traffic data instead of the whole of Europe and have had no reboots since.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: