Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Fees - Details
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Fees - Details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbbill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diplo wrote:
The reason all this software is free and open is because it's built by the community for the community.

we ALL have to stand together against these wretched speed cameras, Now they are funded , they are now moving to their next phase which is to be more mobile than static thus making all of these GPS sites worthless anyway . The plan is to extend the "" area "" of a mobile site, and some forces are arguing for ten mile stretches.

All the gps will do is remind u of a speed cam sign .

The statics are the trojan horse .

rgds
bill
Zaki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cornz wrote:
Nothing is free in this world. Ive used the database for free for a number of years now, its probably saved me 3 points on several occasions.
Christ folks, its £2.00. Less than a pint of beer, same as carparking for a couple of hours. Its not a great deal is it really. Sheesh, shut up moaning, if you dont like the idea then go elsewhere. Every other site has been charging for this data a lot longer than PGPSW. If other sites do it then so should this one. I bet the amount of users has increased exponetially in the last few years. I say the guys who run it should get some recompense.

I dont mind paying a few quid to keep my licence clean(er). Besides, if youve ever contributed then its free isnt it. Fair trade, i keep the camera database upto date in my area and i get it free. WHats the problem there then..If you havent been bothered to contribute then you must expect to pay.
My rant over...
Cornz.#

Must be one of the Bosses under cover Wink
Zaki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbbill wrote:
Diplo wrote:
The reason all this software is free and open is because it's built by the community for the community.

we ALL have to stand together against these wretched speed cameras, Now they are funded , they are now moving to their next phase which is to be more mobile than static thus making all of these GPS sites worthless anyway . The plan is to extend the "" area "" of a mobile site, and some forces are arguing for ten mile stretches.

All the gps will do is remind u of a speed cam sign .

The statics are the trojan horse .

rgds
bill

Is the writing on the wall for static cameras in the near future what with cats eye cameras and improved mobiles and have the Bosses realised this and therefore making a quick buck before it happens.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they dare close this thread. There would be a "censorship" riot, especially now they have started to delete posts that they didn't like.

Also the pay up or go elsewhere argument implies that people should not stand up for what they consider their rights, a dangerous thing we are seeing increasingly in our fragile democracy.

If the many people who intend to leave (or at least not use the PGPSW administered camera database anymore), didn't make their views abundantly clear, PocketGPSW would be able to say "well there weren't many complaints when we announced it, were there?"

As nothing of all this has even been mentioned on the actual database download page yet, I bet there are hundreds of users who aren't even aware of the imminent charges. They should expect a flood of new complaints soon after!
Zaki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, an announcment of the impending charges should be placed on the dowload page.
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaki wrote:
I agree, an announcment of the impending charges should be placed on the dowload page.

I can't see WHY they can't stick to the voluntry donations as they have done in the past.

All this talk over paying for a database, and becoming professional as caused nothing but discontent amongst most members, and to do it WITHOUT a VOTE
is very UNPROFESSIONAL the way they've gone about it.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Guys with the power here have used the "community" to fund their business venture, they have failed to acknowledge that the sites popularity has been built by the forum and other features apart from the safety camera data base.
They have just pooped on the majority and offered a carrot to the minority to try and shut us up!
Over the festive period I have done a lot of miles and found speed camera locations wrong such as one on a busy A road where the warning comes after you pass the camera.
Temporary sites on motorway bridges and the like where the warning comes only a couple of hundred yards before the site. Some of these temporary sites have people booked at over 500 metres away, taking it that you are travelling legally at 70mph with a warning at 600 metres if you were slightly unaware of your speed the warning would be to late to rectify your mistake.
As a free download offering, I guess this was not a problem. If you pay for a service it has to offer accurate and valid information and in a manner that covers prevention measures as that is what is implied by the offering of the service.
If sites are not 100% accurate and warnings given in good time you have a sale of goods issue.
Trading Standards officers will be very busy with PGPSW. If you get booked for speeding that is your fault but if you have a product that is supposed to give locations of safety camera sites and it fails to give them in time or in the correct position you have a sale of goods issue.
You can't claim that a road used car will do a 150 mph and then say sorry you have no come back on our claim as the speed limit is 70 and you use the car on public roads.
What ever you claim as a retailer, use is still open to general interpretation. Only a fool would think that the safety camera database will be paid for and downloaded just as a fun feature on your GPS.
As soon as PGPSW takes its first proffesional payment they had better have it 100% accurate and giving good warning or expect Trading Standards hammering the door down.
Also PGPSW will have issues with new camera sites, new sites should be added and offered daily if they are known or you may have sale of goods issues on the validity of the service offered. If you sell one day and then new sites are set up the next and made publically known and a week later a client is not warned of a location your quality of service and the validity of the service offered could again come under serious Trading Standards scrutiny no matter how clever you think terms and conditions of use are.
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cantgetlost wrote:
......... Temporary sites on motorway bridges and the like where the warning comes only a couple of hundred yards before the site. Some of these temporary sites have people booked at over 500 metres away, taking it that you are travelling legally at 70mph with a warning at 600 metres if you were slightly unaware of your speed the warning would be to late to rectify your mistake.

Surely, the distance from a speed camera location for 'your warning' is a setting you should make! It is not the responsibility of the database to do that. It is obvious that at 100mph the warning [in time/distance] will have to be greater than at 75mph

I set my warnings to sound at 1300m for 'mobile units', as it has been published on this website, that the M4 mobile units can 'catch' you at 1000m from the marked bridges. The software for the Garmin iQue gives the responsibility to the user.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingernut777 wrote:
I can't see WHY they can't stick to the voluntry donations as they have done in the past.

Just a wild stab in the dark, because I don't know any more than you do, but could it possibly be that those voluntary contributions weren't enough to mantain the site?
AlanCollier
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
.. but could it possibly be that those voluntary contributions weren't enough to mantain the site?

They aren't enough to pay Mike Barrett's salary, and that's what this is all about.

--Alan
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbbill wrote:
As a separate and personal matter, I just paid ten quid, as a donation, will that be taken into account ?

Anyone who has made a donation to us will be credited the amount of the donation to their subscription.
alFR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No organisation sets a price for a product based upon a figure they wish to achieve! They set price based upon what they consider fair for the product itself and that is what we have done.

With respect, that's rubbish. A standard way of working out charges for products/services is to:

Decide what you want to earn per hour/day/year etc. (£A)
Work out your running costs (excluding salaries) per hour/day/year etc. (£B)
Estimate how many products/services you will sell in whatever time period you're using to work out A and B (call this number C)
Cost per unit of goods/service = (A+B)/C

You're not seriously trying to say you didn't go through this sort of exercise, are you?
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
gingernut777 wrote:

Just a wild stab in the dark, because I don't know any more than you do, but could it possibly be that those voluntary contributions weren't enough to mantain the site?

I thought you had sponsors has well as donations to help maintain the site?
soweezy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Will I get my money back ... Reply with quote

dougconran wrote:
1. Is the database governed by the Distance Selling Regulations and thus will I be able to get my money back if I don't like it?

no, it's a subscription to the site that includes free access to the database, or that's how it reads on page 1 of this thread

Garmin Zumo 390LM
1275mini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think £19.00 is a small price to pay if it saves you money and points on your licence Laughing i will pay it!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 22 of 44

Jump to: