Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 30 min to calculate 750 km itinerary?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

30 min to calculate 750 km itinerary?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bog standard Fujifilm SD card, not a high speed card. Shortest from Spalding to Aberdeen took 65 seconds, then if I avoided toll charges the total was 2 min 30 secs. Quickest took about 25 seconds, no toll charges indicated
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep my fingers crossed then, Robin2. It happens to be a Fujifilm 60x card that I've ordered. Hopefully it's not my Dell computer, as compared with whatever you're running, that accounts for the speed difference.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To complete the story as far as fast cards are concerned, at least with my Dell Axim X50v...

I got my Fujifilm 60x card and it reads at just over 6x according to Pocket Mechanic - thats just over 20%quicker than my original card of the same capacity (1gig). However, the Spalding Aberdeen calculations are so nearly the same that my finger oin the stop watch might account for the slight differences.

Still, I now have bags of storage capacity!!
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
RicoBunyon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're speeds are better than mine. With my PalmT5 and whatever make SD card that TomTom ship the product on, mine took 63 secs for Spalding to Aberdeen, fastest route. I was going to buy a new card anyway for some more maps, so I'll look for something quick.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been trying this with the Exec, loaded up an old card (Lexar 512MB 32x), 15 mins to get to the toll question, 21:08 in total to the route - this is down to the card, using the setting for fastest route planning it takes 45 seconds, which is reasonable for a card of that speed - Mike
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Just been trying this with the Exec, loaded up an old card (Lexar 512MB 32x), 15 mins to get to the toll question, 21:08 in total to the route - this is down to the card, using the setting for fastest route planning it takes 45 seconds, which is reasonable for a card of that speed - Mike

From the results posted here http://www.durrans.com/cardspeed/ and those posted by PONDEROUS and myself using Pocket Mechanic to benchmark, it seems clear that the bottleneck is with the device and interface, faster cards seem to have little relevence. The max read speed in the link is just 7.8x, where the best I got was 6.5x with a 60x MSD card.
I wonder how fast the route calculation would be if the TT map could be intalled to device RAM (capacity allowing).
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet writes:

Quote:
... it seems clear that the bottleneck is with the device and interface, faster cards seem to have little relevence.

That's the conclusion I've reached myself. However, shouldn't software design take account of hardware performance?

Are these times really good enough? I don't think so when Copilot, for example, will calculate them in a couple of seconds.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 45 seconds is usable for me anyway, and I wouldn't bother driving the shortest route on a lond distance run, I prefer to get to my destination without stopping assuming the wife and fuel load will allow for this, how dissimilar are the routes when you compare TT with CP? - Mike
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, looking at the two maps, I think that the two Shortest routes from Spalding to Aberdeen, avoiding tolls, are identical except that Copilot makes an inexplicabe detour through Newcastle upon Tyne. There is also a mileage calculation anomaly, with Copilot showing about 24 miles further. It may well be Copilot's mileage error, as there are issues of this kind with CP 6 at the moment.

Of course, the time necessary to put in waypoints to eliminate the detour through Newcastle will tend to make up for the saving in calculation time. Until CP 6 has its routing problems sorted, then, it's probably swings and roundabouts.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PONDEROUS
I just done the route to Aberdeen on my Ipaq 2210 and it took 15 seconds to calculate. I use a Compact Flash Card, a cheap one too.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PONDEROUS
The time that I qoted on my first reply was for the fastest route. The shortest route worked out at 1 min 50 secs. With the 1paq 2210 one can use either SD cards or Compact Flash. I swapped to CF sometime ago and taking 1min 50 seconds to plot a 400+ miles route seems quite resonable.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Trevor1234. My Dell Axim X50 takes CF cards, so I'll try moving TT5 onto one.
Googlebot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my times are : 22 seconds for quickest and 2:17 secs for shortest with the recalculation for avoiding tolls.

I use a 'normal' Kingston CF card (not one of their quick ones) and these times are preftecly OK for me. The sppeed the fast cards work at these days are really only of use for the latest higher end digital camera's. Also I believe CF cards are quicker than SD cards. Also often a smaller card will help speed thigns up, along with a smaller map perhaps?
Holux CR-100

Soon to be replaced with TT720 (maybe....)
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has been useful to me, at least. However, I can't help wondering what became of rtang (the originator of the thread) and his or her 30-minute calculation for 750 km - which is not too much further than the distance from Spalding to Aberdeen. Any improvement, rtang?
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PONDEROUS
Perhaps rtang has gone on the journey that he was having trouble plotting. After all, working on the basis that it took him 30 mins to calculate a 750 km (about 460 miles) journey it should take him 2 months and 3 days to drive it. Perhaps he will be back in the Spring.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: