Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Please help, should I replace my stolen TOMTOM with Navman??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help, should I replace my stolen TOMTOM with Navman??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnypascall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Please help, should I replace my stolen TOMTOM with Navman?? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I unfortunately had my beloved TOMTOM GO 300 nicked last week whilst working at work.

Just spoken to the insurance company, who have just posted a cheque for £150 for personal contents.

Not sure whether to replace my TOMTOM 300 with the new TOMTOM ONE, or buy a navman.

Having only used my brothers oldish (2 years old) navman a couple of times, and being very disappointed I am hopong you guys can advise me? Please?

What I liked about the TOMTOM:
1) Touchscreen
2) Very good interface
3) Tons of POI from internet e.g. gastro pubs, supermarkets, etc
4) Never let me down - good battery life, good clear directions.
5) 7 digit postcode search
6) Rechargeable battery
7) New TOMTOM ONE has a faster processer than the 300, is smaller and lighter, better antenna, and is cheaper: with 10%corporate discount from halfords its £225

On the other hand, I have been told that Costco wholesalers have the navman iCN550 for about £240 inc VAT. As you know, this is a hefty saving on rrp!
But:
1) Only 5 postcode search (I read a post below from a gentleman pointing out that perhaps this is not as big a disadvantage as it appears?)
2) Despite having touchscreen, the 550 doesn't look as simple to use (although I am sure it probably is easy to use?)
3) Don't know about the quality of downloadable POI's? (Are there as many available as for the TOMTOM? Doesnt look like it to me, am I wrong?)
4) What is the antenna like? How soon (from being parked outside my house) does it take to get an adequate signal?)
5) What is product suport like from navman? and how often do they update maps and software?
6) The 550 has the traffic module that sounds fantastic (and free), but how well does this actually work?

Very sorry about the length of the post, but am trying to put enough info in 1st time! I cannot seem to find any revies of the 550?

Basically, how does the 550 actually compare in real life usage to the TOMTOM ONE?

By the way, I am also posting this in the TOMTOM GO forum, just because there are probably people there who don't frequent this forum. Laughing

Many, many thanks,
Johnny
bootruss
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..are you sure that this is the icn550 and not the 520? If so that is far less than cost price for 4gb european travel maps!! The one is the number one sat nav on the market today for gb use, but if it is a 550 that you are talking about..well that is an awfully ridiculous price!
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help, should I replace my stolen TOMTOM with Navm Reply with quote

johnnypascall wrote:
Hi guys,

What I liked about the TOMTOM:
1) Touchscreen
.....So has Navman
2) Very good interface
.....cannot compare as I only have experience of Navman - I find that acceptable.
3) Tons of POI from internet e.g. gastro pubs, supermarkets, etc
.....plenty available see http://www.getoutguide.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/poidownloads/index.htm
4) Never let me down - good battery life, good clear directions.
.....usually good clear directions - has a problem with multiple exit roundabouts
5) 7 digit postcode search
.......Tom Tom the winner here!
6) Rechargeable battery
.......Same
7) New TOMTOM ONE has a faster processer than the 300, is smaller and lighter, better antenna, and is cheaper: with 10%corporate discount from halfords its £225
.....Wow! Excellent price!

On the other hand, I have been told that Costco wholesalers have the navman iCN550 for about £240 inc VAT. As you know, this is a hefty saving on rrp!
...Now that is a saving Exclamation
But:
1) Only 5 postcode search (I read a post below from a gentleman pointing out that perhaps this is not as big a disadvantage as it appears?)
.....I agree - never found that a problem.
2) Despite having touchscreen, the 550 doesn't look as simple to use (although I am sure it probably is easy to use?)
.....The iCN is dead easy to use either via touchscreen or buttons - I use the former. (But not while driving Exclamation )
3) Don't know about the quality of downloadable POI's? (Are there as many available as for the TOMTOM? Doesnt look like it to me, am I wrong?)
.....see above and http://www.getoutguide.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/poidownloads/index.htm
4) What is the antenna like? How soon (from being parked outside my house) does it take to get an adequate signal?)
...after first use - when it can take some time- I always get a signal within say 20 seconds even in europe.. [color=orange]However, I have seen posts where some people have had a long delay and this usually turns out to be because of an Athermic windscreen.[/color]
5) What is product support like from navman? and how often do they update maps and software?
[color=orange]My experience is that support is quite poor. I'm still waiting for a response after 6 days - I also phoned them and was promised a call within an hour - still waiting four days later.[/color]
Map updates - I understand - can be annually for which you have to pay. Full european maps and updated device software costs £99 at the moment.
6) The 550 has the traffic module that sounds fantastic (and free), but how well does this actually work?
....dont know.

Very sorry about the length of the post, but am trying to put enough info in 1st time! I cannot seem to find any revies of the 550?

Basically, how does the 550 actually compare in real life usage to the TOMTOM ONE?

By the way, I am also posting this in the TOMTOM GO forum, just because there are probably people there who don't frequent this forum. Laughing

Many, many thanks,
Johnny

Hope my comments will start of a list from others and I hope they will help. Wink
Dilemma
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple reply... as a previous Navman customer, I would now buy a Tomtom every time.

Navman are too expensive.

Navman sufferes from reliability issues (satellite lock, wrong directions, bad mapping).

Navman offer poor customer support (too slow to respond, assuming they actually do).

Navman closed down theie supportg forum as their customer base were bagging them due to support issues (says it all really).

Navman are complacent (believe features which have been requested on mass are irrelavent - 7 digit post code springs to mind).

Navman maps are already out of date this despite them supposedly supplied from the same mapping company (several roads not on Navman V3.5 are correctly mapped on my Tomtom).

Navman map upgrades are far too expensive (Tomtom offered a complete software revission upgrade including all european street level maps for 59 euros, at the time Navman wanted 149 pounds).

Naturally, others will have there own accounts and may disagree.
johnnypascall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting!

Thanks for the comments, I decided to go for the TOMTOM ONE. Waiting for delivery, but excited to see how it compares to the go 300 I used to have.

Thanks again guys!
Johnny

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: