Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - THE ADVANTAGES OF COPILOT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

THE ADVANTAGES OF COPILOT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tivoboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: is there such a thread already? Reply with quote

about disadvantages? I would like to post this comment there

So, I am going to send this new one back. Regardless of whether or not this is SIRFIII or not, ALK has disablled the serial protocol for the BT receiver, meaning this receiver CANNOT be used with other GPS software products or tools.

Indeed, I am no longer able to connect using S&T or other GPS tools

that seems pretty beat.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tivoboy writes:

Quote:
Regardless of whether or not this is SIRFIII or not... this receiver CANNOT be used with other GPS software products or tools.

If you mean the Copilot branded SirfIII BT receiver (model number in my sig below), it works with all my non-ALKGPS products, so try pairing it up again.

This shows what I mean about users of the forum posting what they reckon to be relevant, regardless of the title of the thread. I'll set up that other thread and see if it makes any difference. I think it's wishful thinking to a large extent though.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
tivoboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

hmm, well when I called ALK to ask about this, asking about why in the regular bluetooth pairing the serial protocol had been disabled, and they said YES, the "device will only work with CP6"

I figured that would probably confirm it.

this was not some idle RANT than you very much. this was a comment supported by direct confirmation from ALK.

If you have one that seems to be pairing using the serial protocol methinks ye might have one of the older ones, which I have as well, which pairs just find.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tivoboy, I can't be sure, but this seems like an ALK telephone support agent guessingwhen unsure and making out it is fact, rather than checking out the real situation. Stranger things happen when talking to help lines, I am afraid.

I'm no expert but I've had quite a few BT receivers and it would be really unusual if a BT receiver was tied to one piece of software like that.

According to ALK's postings on this forum, mine is the SirfIII model, and I was assured that it was before delivery.

Is your GPS receiver a Copilot BTGPS3?
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one more point, then I'll leave you to "ponder", tivoboy. I've had SirfII receivers and they don't pick up GPS fixes indoors or under my overcoat. This BTGPS3 receiver does both those things, so I'd be very surprised if it wasn't the real thing.
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for the record my bt gps is new as delivered from alk in december. i paired it manually as a serial device, named btgps 333333. i also got it working with ttn5. then i paired it with my pc and got it working with autoroute without any problems.
tivoboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: thanks for the post Reply with quote

So, the new one I have says BTGPS when I try to pair it with the ppc, using the BT connection manager.

the OLD one, since about 1.5-2 years ago, ALSO says BTGPS, I haven't seen one that says BTGPS3, even though this was posted here somewhere. When I called ALK to confirm this was a SirfIII chipset, they said, same case, no real way to tell other than TTFF and whatnot.

But, when I try to pair it with the PPC Connection Manager it will NOT connect. I tried some other programs, they don't see it. And, I therefore called ALK.

Ask for tech support, asked to talk with someone who worked with the BT device and that person said, yes, serial connection is disabled on the latest receiver and it will ONLY work with ALK CP6.

It makes no sense to me either, but they why can I only connect with CP6, and not with the BT manager and when ALK second level tech support confirms this?

Have you or anyone else had an older model? Which says BTGPS as the device name? Does anyone have an OLD model AND a new model, that says BTGPS3?

I'd like to figure this out once and for all, and whether or not I can get it to pair, since I don't want to carry both - and well of course we ALL carry multiple types of software, right?
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tivoboy

Obviously, neither I nor anyone else knows what chip's inside your or any other Copilot receiver casing. However, you know that you have already posted about this on another thread on which ALK have stated clearly that the SirfIII model is marked "BTGPS3". That, and the line apparently spun by their Technical Support is ample evidence for you ask to talk to someone more competent and arrange for a replacement to be sent urgently.
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another advantage is the fact that the map can be moved or dragged while in navigation mode. e.g. while driving i can drag the map to see the surrounding area. Better still put it into where am i mode and zoom out a little.
This is a very flexible mode to use, something not easily achieved by TTN5
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-m wrote:
Another advantage is the fact that the map can be moved or dragged while in navigation mode. e.g. while driving i can drag the map to see the surrounding area. Better still put it into where am i mode and zoom out a little.
This is a very flexible mode to use, something not easily achieved by TTN5

CoPilot has always offered the optional choice of "Drag Map" (default) or "Box Zoom", selectable under Options, Home, Settings, Map.

But hasn't Garmin always had the Drag feature?

I used to prefer "Box Zoom" mode, but that feature has been ruined (for me) by a small new bug in CP6: double-tapping on a map point no longer brings that point to center screen. So Box Zoom is more awkward to use now, and I have become a Map Dragger. I'm learning to like Map Drag somewhat.

To try to stay on the positive note of this thread, I do like the new semi-transparent zoom buttons, always available on the map.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
tivoboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: only downside Reply with quote

The only downside I have found to the new zoom buttons, is if anything is near them like a POI you want info on, all one gets is zoom.

but yes, nice to have them on the screen.
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

push the map away from the zoom button then poke your POI.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-m wrote:

Quote:
... the map can be moved or dragged while in navigation mode.

I believe that Paul-m is using CP 6, from which Navigation mode, formerly found in CP 5, has been omitted, so his terminbology is a little confusing. This is probably through Paul-m not having seen CP 5. It also raises my unfortunate choice of heading for this thread; i.e. The Advantages Copilot rather than of Copilot 6) as I had to stop and think whether Paul-m was using CP 5.

Another point on the concept of this thread and its use was implied by BMWBiker, who suggested that Garmin has a Drag-map feature. The fact that users do not necessarily have knowledge of all competing applications will always limit comparisons. In my case, all I have beside CP 6 and a few GPS utilities is TT 5 or Pocket Streets, so that's all I can really comment on at the moment.

Continuing on matters concerning the use of this thread just for a second, it is already clear that advantages aren't necessarily going to be kept completely separate from shortcomings even if thread contributors want to do so. The following point illustrates it, but I still hope that the thread can be used mainly to show what's good in Copilot 6.

I think that Paul-m was right about TomTom 5 and the Drag-map facility as, unlike in CP 6, TT 5 has to be put into a dedicated mode to get a draggable map. It is great that CP 6's Drag-map is available in whatever mode or view a map can be viewed, including Guidance mode when the car is stopped. However, it is severly limited because street and town names aren't displayed when the map is at an appropriate scale. Also, map dragging is spoilt in Walking mode because the display immediately springs back to GPS-bottom-centre-of-screen.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
...Continuing on matters concerning the use of this thread just for a second, it is already clear that advantages aren't necessarily going to be kept completely separate from shortcomings even if thread contributors want to do so. The following point illustrates it, but I still hope that the thread can be used mainly to show what's good in Copilot 6...

I was thinking along the same lines - it really is a shame, because much of the useful information contained in this thread is effectively of no use whatsoever as reference. Absolutely nobody would think of looking in a thread titled the advantages of CoPilot to find answers to problems with GPS receivers! But as you know I had exactly the same frustrations with the thread I started on CoPilot's work-arounds. What solutions there were being drowned by all the, much of it valid, but 'off-topic' posts.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planning Mode

Subject to some improvements which I mention below, CP 6's Planning mode on the PPC is highly superior compared with other products with which I am familiar. With or without a GPS fix, numerous alternative routes can be planned and run in this mode for comparison, and each takes only a second or so to calculate. Such an exercise in TT 5 would take minutes per calculation (on my hardware anyway) and it is not really possible to do it sensibly where waypoints unless you have a GPS fix.

CP 6 also has Optimize Stops, which TT 5 has not. This enables stops between start and destination to be set in any order, then CP 6 finds the optimum route through them.

Some improvements that are needed - and the lack of which spoils what should be a superb feature are:

Arrow Quick view of whole route
Arrow Jump to any point on the itinerary - not just the stops.
Arrow View all necessary infomation (including the bl***y route!!!) in the Pick Point On Map and Jump to Point on Itinerary windows.
Arrow For speed, CP 6 should display the by default, not the itinerary.
Arrow Smooth scrolling and panning even on a VGA PPC (which TT 5 definitely does).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: