Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Road Anfgel Navigator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Road Anfgel Navigator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NavEx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Road Anfgel Navigator Reply with quote

I am completely amazed at the new Road Angel Navigator system, my bets mate has been keen on getting sat nav ever since i got the first TomTom when it was released(showing my age) He got it yesterday, and last night he came round to show me, we went for a drive and from a warm start it took 28 minutes to get a fix on 4 sats then dropped out again after 30 seconds, It came back and we carried on, he had set it up to be in Miles, and where you have the option of adjusting the speed warning limits, on Motorways the max is 85, which is ok, A Roads incl dual carriageways, is 55!!!!!! No matter what option you choose 55 is the highest it will go before it starts a nerve grinding bleeping at you.

Then what it defines as major roads, 50MPH, so A roads but not dual carriageway, and the rest like public streets on housing areas is 30 , but the 55 on Dual carriageways, i had to tell him to turn the warning thing off it was doing my head in, it sounds like someone scraping their nails down a blackboard

In its favour, it didnt miss 1 camera, and even alerted us of the temporary roadwork speed cameras on the A12 in Chelmsford.

But when we got home i read the manual and he had fully charged it first and then left it stationary fort 45 mins for a first time fix, then on quote"after initial 45 mins warm up for first time fix, 2-3 mins from cold start" what a joke, he phoned me this morning and he drives 38 miles to work, he left at 6.30 this morning, it cut in and found a signal just as he was pulling into office car park, over 30mins later

He does not have a heated windscreen or any thing like that, and yes the antenna was up, I have a spare roof GPS reciever that he can try tonight there is a space on the flip up arerial for it, so hopefully that will be better

If it was me, i would have returned it by now, as for £500 pound, the mapping is awful, the routes it tells you are unreal, it advised us last night a route home, (a 9 mile journey which takes 15-20 mins) he had it set to show arrival time and it was showing 45 mins, then when we left the A12 for Chelmsford it kept telling us to u turn and keep going , if we had we would have ended up on the M25!!!!!!!!!!!

Road Angel has a good repuation in speed camera systems, its such a shame they did not invest in better mapping software, and gettting the device right

Paul
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of 'murmurs' about the RA Navigator and quality issues. Given its price I don't see how it can compete as its basically an old version of CoPilot with Speed Cams (and an expensive subscription to boot).
solo12002
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow lads thanks for this. I was thinking of buying the Road Angel sat nav system as I had the Road Angel 2 in the car at one point.

How ever I was also thinking of buying the Garmin nuvi 300, in light of the comments made in respect of the Road Angel I think I should go for the Nuvi.

May I ask what the thoughts are of other members? Im new to sat nav and I know from shopping around in Northern Ireland I need one with Navteq mapping as Tel has no or little covage in NI.

Should I look at any others, I looked at Snooper Ingago by at £600 pounds its a lot of cash.

Any advice would be welcomed.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look also at the AA's solution which uses Navteq map data and has Traffic as well.

http://www.aanavigator.com/shop/product.asp?id=58
solo12002
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren

Thanks for fast reply. I m looking at the AA one now,however it is about £500 pounds to, I know you get what you pay for, Im concerrred that its a lot of money.

Do you have any views on the Garmin Nuvi 300 its more my price range, but I will look fully at the AA one.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't had the opportunity to review a Nuvi but there are readers on this forum who have and seem pleased by it.

It depends what you need from a solution. Garmin's i3 costs less than £170, uses Navteq mapping and can use our Safety Camera Database, this might do all you need?
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 300 Reply with quote

Having upgraded from a Navman iCN630 v3, the Nuvi 300 is a great leap forward in easy (or speed) of use

Extremely fast sat detection, simple and fast address look-up (with full postcode entry), excellent display and an MP3 player you can use while navigating (pauses mp3s to give directions) to boot

The maps are also v8 so the most up to date available (excellent locally)

Having used the iCN630, the Road Angel Navigator, the i3 (good little unit!), a TomTom Go 300, and several PDA GPS systems, I would say choosing the Nuvi (300 or better yet, the 350) would be your best choice. The 350 has text-to-speech for street names too!

Let us know how you get on...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: