Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No Sat Signal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No Sat Signal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grumpy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: No Sat Signal Reply with quote

Sad I am dissapointed with my Navman 520. Sometimes it locates the satellite signal within about 10 minutes. Most times the journey is over before it gets the signal. This can be 90 minutes or more.

Speaking to the supervisor at their help desk (Bruce) said this was normal and that my expectations need to be reset!!

Can this be correct. My gps speed camera detector acquires the sattelite within a few minutes.

If I cannot rely on the Navman 100% it is no use whatsoever.

Is it something I am doing wrong.

The unit was cahnged once and this is happening to both 520's.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you just drive off straight away? this applies to ALL sat nav systems, WAIT until a satisfactory GPS signal is acquired by the device BEFORE moving, if you are mobile the device will be fight to achieve a lock on and take considerably longer than when stationary - Mike
Dilemma
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: No Sat Signal Reply with quote

Grumpy wrote:
Sad I am dissapointed with my Navman 520. Sometimes it locates the satellite signal within about 10 minutes. Most times the journey is over before it gets the signal. This can be 90 minutes or more.

Speaking to the supervisor at their help desk (Bruce) said this was normal and that my expectations need to be reset!!

Can this be correct. My gps speed camera detector acquires the sattelite within a few minutes.

This problem was quite prevalent on the 510 model. I found that when I deleted the backup directory on the flash drive, and then turned the unit on and off using the rear switch that it miraculously fixed the problem. When I posted my findings (I think on another forum), others also posted some success. However, not owning a 520 I do not know if the same file structure/ directory exits although I would guess it to be the same.
Dilemma
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: No Sat Signal Reply with quote

Dilemma wrote:
Grumpy wrote:

This problem was quite prevalent on the 510 model. I found that when I deleted the backup directory on the flash drive, and then turned the unit on and off using the rear switch that it miraculously fixed the problem. When I posted my findings (I think on another forum), others also posted some success. However, not owning a 520 I do not know if the same file structure/ directory exits although I would guess it to be the same.

Sorry... forgot to mention that the backup directory will automatically be recreated if deleted on the next power cycle. Albeit with newly created files which will not have been corrupted, which was my original suspicion.
CrazyQ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my new 520 but i have found a quick & simple cure. If u have programmed a route in before u set off just cancel the route and then click on 'go' again, this works everytime for me although for the last 6 or so times i have used the 520 it seems to find a fix almost within a couple of minutes. Try doing what i did and i'm sure it will fix your problem m8.

Q
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
Are you by any chance turning off the GPS at one destination for instance then turning it back on in another lacation. This is like a cold start as the GPS will have to sort its self out with location, before driveing off without a sat fix.
Regards.
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
Nigbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot seems to do wth the weather i find - if its really overcast - seems to take much longer to get a fix
apt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same long gps fix time on my 520, and have read various excuses for it's poor performance, but when i place a colleague' 510 on the same car dashboard, adjacent to mine, the signal strengh on the 510 is significantly greater than the 520 at all times!!! There must be a problem somewhere, and i can't understand why Navman don't fix the problem.
airmed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: No Sat signal Reply with quote

Hi Grumpy

Had the same problem as you when I moved the 520 from the windscreen mount to dash mount. Like you it could take ages (15-30 minutes) to get a signal only to imediatly lose it. And all this was made worse by the weather (heavy rain, overcast & even fog). I figured that as the 520 had worked fine on the windscreen mount the problem had to be the internal antenna not seeing enough sats due to it being further into the car. I solved the problem 100% by getting an mMCX external antenna which comes with 5m of cable & attaches via a magnetic mount to the roof of my car above the tailgate. The cable is thin enough to slip under the roof lining. All you do is lift the grey cover on the back of the internal antenna & connect it & job done. Worth shopping around on the internet; I got mine from Amazon for £24.95 with free delivery.

Hope this helps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: