Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN2 GPS 2.08 Bluetooth differences
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN2 GPS 2.08 Bluetooth differences

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TTN2 GPS 2.08 Bluetooth differences Reply with quote

I've noticed since installing the GPS 2.08 that even though I can disable the GPS driver and exit both TomTom Navigator 2 and the GPS Driver, but I can't then connect to a Bluetooth GPS on COM8 at all with any other program. If you try running WinFast Navigator, you'll see the problem. This is running on a 2210 under WM2003.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else is seeing this problem on PPC2002 or WM2003.
Batnun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TTN2 GPS 2.08 Bluetooth differences Reply with quote

I've notice that too.
Hi

I think they using proprietary Bluetooth driver, with start with windows.

Try to rename the file "ttbtdev.dll" in your mobile device/windows directory + soft reset, and then try again.

This is the reason that when you update the GPS driver, you get the message that this file is in use, even when no programs is running
shawnakelly
Occasional Visitor

I am experiencing the 2003 Bluetooth conflict where it caused the iPAQ's harware on/off button not to work most of the time. I am beginning to experience this problem on my 2003 5555 iPAQ. It is a major nuisance on the iPAQ 2215.

I installed the TomTom fix and now --like Dave commented-- the Bluetooth connection won't work at all within any other GPS application.

Batnum-- I don't see the file "ttbtdev.dll" in the windows directory, or sub directories. Please be more specific. Thank you for any further revelations! This is an important issue for the significant Bluetooth GPS project I am working on!

Northern California Mobile Computing
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I've contacted my contacts within TomTom to try and see if we can slog this problem out, because this is going to be a real PITA for other programs.

PS. Great to see you here Shawna!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

WORKAROUND FIX TO ENABLE OTHER GPS APPS TO TALK TO BT GPS

1. Undock your Pocket PC from the cradle or sync cable
  2. On Pocket PC go to START | SETTINGS | REMOVE PROGRAMS and select TomTom ~ GPS
  3. Once uninstall is completed it will ask you to tap OK to soft reset, tap OK
  4. Dock your Pocket PC and download TomTom Navigator 2.24
  5. Install TomTom Navigator 2.24 you have just downloaded
  6. Soft Reset your Pocket PC.
You may get one more error message about not being able to connect to the COM port, but after this, both TTN2 will be able to communicate with your Bluetooth GPS Receiver, and other GPS programs will also be able to.

Downside is, you'll still have the power off bug, but you will still have GPS 2.08 installed but at least you can use other GPS Programs with your BT GPS.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PS. I think you can probably do away with re-installing TomTom Navigator 2.24 as I don't think it adds anything of use to the equation, uninstalling the TomTom ~ GPS entry removes the newly fudged BT GPS driver which I believe is causing the problem, but still leaves you with GPS 2.08 from what I can tell.
Batnun
Occasional Visitor

You can't see the file "ttbtdev.dll" in the IPaq's File Explorer software.

Connect the IPaq to your PC, go to "My Computer", "Mobile Device", "My Pocket PC", and "Windows".

After rename the file "ttbtdev.dll" and perform soft reset, you will able to use other software (but not TomTom).
shawnakelly
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for your assistance Batnun, but this renaming did not make the Bluetooth in other applications work again on my 2215 iPAQ. Maybe the point was to simply get rid of the error message mentioned above?

Just for clarity: this Bluetooth power locking problem seems to be on all iPAQ devices running the 2003 OS, and was not caused by TomTom. TomTom's 2.08 fix, however, is incomplete and causes Bluetooth not to work with other programs.

I really appreciate your follow through on this Bluetooth power bug Dave! Your expediting a fix for this issue could be VERY significant. I'll be checking back soon.

Northern California Mobile Computing
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, I've been looking for this for some time!

For me the problem does not occur when connecting other software to a BT GPS reciever - I don't HAVE a BT reciever or any other GPS software, but it does occur when other software (SMS app, fax software etc) tries to use COM 8.

I find it incredible that TomTom would issue a "fix" that would be at the expence of any other software. Talk about arrogant Evil or Very Mad

I'm going to see if I can go back to an older version of the GPS driver, as my understanding is that if I don't use a BT reviever, 2.08 has no benefit for me. It won't fix the power off problem that I get when TomTom is not running. Is that correct?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think TomTom realise what they've done because I'm now not getting any response back on the bug Rolling Eyes
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that was standard practice for them, whether they realise or not Wink
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is, but not normally when we talk with them, as we do have direct contacts into TomTom. :D
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've now installed GPS 2.0, the one that came on the CD and the last one before they started messing with Bluetooth (AFAIK), and all is working better than ever - all other programs can use Bluetooth, Inbox dials over Bluetooth automatically (before I had to initiate the dial up connection manually via BT manager each time, as the modem connection in Settings>Connections would keep dissapearing), and TomTom works a treat. I've also had no power on problems yet, though it's only been a day! None of that was true under 2.7/2.8.

To instal 2.0 I had to copy the CAB file over from the CD - the installer won't let you instal just the GPS.

So, they've managed to use 8 point revisions to completely C*c£ it up for BT users. Way to go TomTom!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

BTW, re-naming the ttbtdev.dll didn't help (though thanks for the suggestion). There must be some registry setting redirecting BT trafic as well, because once I'd re-named it COM 8 disappeared altogether until I uninstalled 2.8.

Thank God TomTom did at least manage to produce a clean uninstal.
woodbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: So that's the answer! Reply with quote

AH!

I should have read this before - SO THAT IS WHY the GPSinfo program that came with the BT-308 wont actually talk to the thing - TT and MS have conspired to not let you use any other software with your BT GPS - so what's new?

The guy that runs TT hasn't got the surname of Gates has he?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: