Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Confused about software levels for MDPNA175
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused about software levels for MDPNA175
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bearsieboo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Confused about software levels for MDPNA175 Reply with quote

I received a MDPNA175 for Xmas, hesitated about opening the box until last night. Having spent a few days reading several of these forums, I wanted to be sure that the unit had been sold to my wife with the latest software Navigator 5 or 5.1.
The CD inside shows Navigator 4. Called Medion hotline this morning who told me that the unit will work with Nav4. I said that I didn't doubt it, but I wanted the latest software as per multiple posters on this site. The agent then said that her techies had told her that the MDPNA175 won't work with anything higher than Version 4. I said that my understanding from posters to this forum suggested otherwise. She then said I could buy V5 from the medion shop, but couldn't guide me to the appropriate page on the web, but did tell me how to contact medion shop uk by email.

My questions,
Have I totally misunderstood postings on this forum?
Does the Medion MDPNA175 really not work with Nasv5 or 5.1 software? Should I try to get Halfords to take the unit back as being out of date?
Should I just stick with Nav4?

All answers greatfully appreciated, hopefully today before I trek to Halfords after lunch....

Thanks - BB
bearsieboo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Replying to me: Confused about software levels for MDPNA175 Reply with quote

OK, no-one had offered any words of wisdom, so went to Halfords who say they only have Nav4 software on all of their units, and I should load up the system, register and then I'd be able to download updates from the Medion website.
I can't see anything on www.medion.co.uk that suggests that I'll be able to download updates, so, the single question this time:

Has anyone done as Mr Halfords says, and loaded the software, then been prompted to download updates to it?

I'm a newbie and need your help please guys!!!!!
steve_starsky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Im in a similar position to yourself. However my pna175 came with ver 5.0 already on it !!

I'm looking at finding ver 5.1 so i can loads the poi + speed cmaera stuff on it.
I have seen ver 5.1 sold on ebay but only in germany! I assume from reading that you can install any version in any supported language?
bearsieboo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
I thought no-one would talk to me. I think I saw your other post about 5.1; but because I'm so new and inexperienced I can't offer you any guidance.
The fact that your 175 came with v5, confirms my belief that the agent at Medion didn't know what she was talking about, there have been other posts about the quality of Medion Helpline (and other suppliers) staff, it's a shame they don't seem to get the training that they need.
I've got to go away for a few days, but I'll check this board again on my return, when hopefully both of us may have some informative answers to our questions.

Regards - BB
spynappels
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: PNA 175 Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm in the same boat, I got a PNA 175 bought in Halfords in the middle of October. It has Navigator 4.4 installed and the other day I got a message saying the software was a year old and needed upgrading. I went to Halfords and asked what the story was and I was told that the unit I had might have sat in the warehouse for a while. Boxes of new units had Navigator 5 but I was told that they could do nothing for me. The "register with Medion and upgrade" story is rubbish as it will cost you big bucks. So far I have not had much luck getting hold of Navigator 5.1, but if I do, I'll let you guys know if you like.
bearsieboo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please keep me posted Spynappels. This software thing seems like a scandal.
If you bought a Medion PC with Windows XP and there were upgrades, you'd log into the Microsoft Updates site and upgrade the machine for free.
As Medion don't identify what level of software is in the MDPNA175 box (although they do list everything else it seems), it seems like theft.

Or is that too jaundiced a view?
BB
spynappels
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: I Agree Reply with quote

Hey Bearsie,
I'm with you, I think its ridiculous to ship an item with out of date software and then refuse to upgrade it, but there you are. I'll let you know if I get the software.

Stefan.
fozy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

I'm in the same boat, I had one for xmas but luckily it came with ver 5, however i asked halfords the same question about upto date versions and they said the same. I have checked the medion site but there are no updates.

I have seen that it is possible to put tom tom 5 on this device, this could be our only option!
spynappels
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Hey Fozy Reply with quote

Hey Fozy,

Might be an option for you, but for us poor slobs in Northern Ireland the Medion Navigator is the only one who has anyway decent maps. Shame, huh?

Regards, Stefan.
damonsk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right guys hope this helps you.

i got my pna175 at xmas came with version 5 of medion navigator.

the version 5.1 is for a miso which is a different model, i have had this installed on my 175 however it works but the internal gps cannot be found and i have been unable to make this work.

there are various versions. mn5.1 doesn't always mean medion navigator 5.1 as there is a similar version mobile navigator 5.1 which is made by the same company navigon which is not compatable with the pna as the pna uses windows ce and the mobile navigator requires windows mobile (different operating systems).

i have been trying and trying to add poi databases to version 5 only to find no one can do it as all the major programs like poi warner work with older versions such as medion navigator 4.4.

medion 4.4 will work fine on your pna175 infact im looking for that version as i feel version 5 is to be quite honest complete shite.

also from what i have been reading in the past, having medion navigator 4 doesn't seem like a bad thing. you may have a older map but u can still use a A to Z printed in 2000. if i had a choice between mn5 or mn4.4 i'd go for the 4.4

hope this helps you.
steve_starsky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this website following the gumpf I got that came in th box.

https://navigation.medion.com/site/int/en/shop/consumer/accessories/11

Not sure if it helps
steve_starsky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fozy

Will be interesting to find out about the tom tom option and whether we can load it onto our 175's.

Any idea where that info is ??!
bikerian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: mn4.4 is good Reply with quote

hi guys just reading your posts.
i got my set earlier in 2005.
and it had 3.7 on it ,it too was from halfords.
my cousin and some friends who saw it went to their halfords and got the latest version at that time was 4.75.
this was within two days of buying mine.
i copied theirs and set it up on my set.
working fine ever since.
what i have read the new version is slow.
hope this helps.
ian
dabut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAMONSK i have a copy of navteq 5 ver 5.1 and that runs on win ce and works well
yorks_laddie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I too received a 175 for Christmas, it works well and I've used it on numerous occasions since, trying to fool it on known routes etc and it recalculates pretty quickly. My unit came with 5.0, I tried to install poi warner but unfortunataly it doesn't start, a vague error message appears.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: