Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with road angel and TTN2 &e740
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with road angel and TTN2 &e740

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RajUk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Problems with road angel and TTN2 &e740 Reply with quote

Hiya

i have a strange problem if you can help.
i wanted a PDA sat nav and Speed camera detection.

I considered a tttn2 bluetooth option with Traf cam.

But instead I bought a road angel and the Holux- Uk cable for my Toshiba e740. This cable powees the e740 and connects to road angel

I did this option as i thought it would be better to have a popular dedicated speed camera detector and also use the GPS out put to my PDA.

i also needed a USB to serial adapte for my laptop to update the Road angl so bought one from PC-mobile.net of hongkong as it is also compatible with my PDA using prolific driver.

Now firstly the cable from HOLUX doesnt work.
intially when i plug it in it says unknown usb device please give a name?

I then loaded up the profilic driver and it stopped happening but the cable does not work.
Im sure i just need the right PPC2002 usb serial driver fromHolux.

the annoying problem is this. USing the usb to serial adapter from Pc- mobile i can connect the road angel to my PDA.

It works on COM 1 and it will output date to GPS engine and Vito navigator.

However Tomtom maps online GPS sttings will not recognise it nor will Holux GPS test program?

I ahve tried setting the TOMTOM to NMEA 4800 v2 and port serial to usb and it wont work, no with the Holux GPs tester.

However GPS engine and vito program happily talkand the GPS data can be seen on screen.

Can anyone help? My worry is that Tomtom navigator has the same GPS engine and wont talk with road angel.

If that is the case i will save up and get Bluetooth tomtom instead of just Tomtom navigator software alone.

thanks for help

Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Problems with road angel and TTN2 &e740 Reply with quote

Raj, let me get this straight, you're using the standard GPS cable that comes with the Road Angel ? And PC-Mobile's USB to Serial connector ? The cable won't work connected to your PC, but will work if you connect it to your PDA.

If that's the case, you don't need any specific driver. I have a Belkin USB to Serial converter that plugs into my 8 port USB Stack hub. All you need to do is install the program off of their CD like usualy, make sure that a specific COM port is assigned to that serial port, then have the Road Angel program use this port. If you are using WinXP you may get a few spurious connectin errors, but it will continue and download the updates over the internet.

Now from a PDA perspective, you will not see any GPS Status (satellite signal strengths), because GPGSA/GPGSV is turned off on the internal GPS Receiverin the Road Angel, you will still be able to get position information and use the GPS, but you won't be able to use it to check how many sats you are locked onto.
RajUk
Occasional Visitor

Hiya Dave thanks for your reply.

I have two cable

PC-Mobiles USB2 which is USB to serial convertor.This cable can work with the Toshibae740 if one has the expansion pack, however i bought it to use with my laptop

I use this cable on my laptop to update the Road angel via net. My compaq laptop has no serial port.

I ordered a special cable from Holux uk like you mentioned before. This is one connects from roadangel serial to the Toshiba expansion port, and also supplis power in the car.

I also downloaded tomtom online, as i was told it had the same gps settings as tomtom navigator 2. I didnt wanna fork out 120 pounds and not for it all to work , which it isnt at the moment.

The Road angel talks happily to my laptop as well as GPS software on the laptop via the usb serial adapter.

The problem i have is one the holux cable from road angel to pda does not work.

But it PDA and road angel talk If i use the Toshiba expansion pack and then the usb serial convertor connected to the road angel.

The starnge thing is with the above setup i can get a signal into GPS engine Vito and manually make a dial up connection to the road angel and confirm it works.

However tomtom online will not respond to the GPS signals. I have set it on Holux 200 and serial on usb, nmea 4800/nmea 9600 etc and i justcan get it to work.

I took your info on board from PDA persepective and ignored that the status screen shows o satellites. But i still cant get the GPS pointer to work on Tomtom online?

Any suggestions? SHould i just but TTN2 and see what happens? could it be that Tomtom online's GPS setup is not as good as TTN2?

The second problem i have is that despite talking with HOLux i cannot get their cable to work.
It strange in that if you reset device there is no com port 1. if you plug in cable it comes as unknown usb device. I then install the holux software and toshiba e740 says holux pl2303 and profilic 2303 driver nstalled.

when i connectthe cable no error message comes up and i have a COM 1. using the supplied TEST and COM software by holux i can open a COM port 1, but when i connect it to the road angel, no signals go to the PDA.

If i disconnect the cable, snap on the Toshiba expansion pack and plug in the serial to usb convertor and then attach the road angel it all works

i am at a loss what to do

Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

Do not know about Road Angel setting but in Tom Tom, you should configure it to com 1 just like other software, NOT serial on USB as you have been saying, whichever cable you are using.
I suspect you can use our driver for the Holux cable too.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: