Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Toshiba e330/ fortuna u2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Toshiba e330/ fortuna u2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Toshiba e330/ fortuna u2 Reply with quote

Hi,

Being a complete newbie to GPS and PDA's I hope you can answer my questions. I am tying to connect A Toshiba e330 to a Fortuna U2 antenna. I have been trying to follow Daves 'Tweaking and Testing' page. At first I could not get anthing out of the winfast navigator prog and presumed that the aerial was faulty and returned it, I have tried the replacement and when I plug it up I get the message 'Enter the name of the device driver. For information consult manufacturers docs.'If I cancel this I can still get nothing from Winfast.I have tried to get and install a driver for the U2 aerial from Fortunas' web site But Either they dont work with what I got or more likely I dont know what to do with them!?

Can someone advise me. Are the Toshiba and U2 compatable?

Do I need a Driver and where from? And if so where should I put It? ( on the PDA that is :-)

Thanks in advance,

Dave H.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Toshiba e330/ fortuna u2 Reply with quote

We haven't tested the Fortuna U2 yet, but will have one shortly for review, but it sounds to me that they're not compatible. Very few GPS Receivers require a driver (only usually the 8 sat receivers and not 12 sat receivers). If you have WinFast Navigator on screen and insert it and you don't get a COM port come back, but you get that driver message "enter the name of the device driver" then it sounds like it probably isn't compatible or requires a driver. If the latter, then it should be on the CD. Looking at the specs on the Fortuna website, there's no mention of drivers, so I would say it might not be compatible with the e330.
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

There are 2 issues:

1. Driver - you do need one. You need driver for you PC, don't you? So you need that for the Toshiba too (a PPC driver, not Toshiba in particular). You have to ask the manufacturer for the driver because there are variations of USB>serial chips used by diferent manufacturers and different drivers have to be used depending on that. Driver for one cannot be used for another.

2. Power - a USB GPS is normally powered by the USB port of PC. Toshiba USB port cannot provide near enough power required by the USB GPS so it probably will not work even if you have the correct driver.

This is an advice we always give - forget about using USB GPS on a PDA.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the replys guys. I have contacted Fortuna and this is what they say:

With the "Unidentified USB device" message usually means you might have a cable that is not working right. You do not need a driver for your PDA so it might mean that the cable has some kind of problem..........

We had not encounter any problems with regarding the linking between the Toshiba units so please try it and let me know.......

I hAve tried connectin it again today and have not got the original error message. Set to com One it says cannot open the serial com 1 port. Then nothing from winfast.

On the Tools / portsetting menue in the dropdown box I have: USBF SERIAL COM9 ; IRDA COM2 ; irCOM3; I CANNOT SEE A COM 1 !! Surely I should see COM1 in there?

If I use the winfast menues to change the com and connect to any of the other ports com1 disapears from the menue bar of Winfast. To get it back I have to reinstall and start over.

The other ports just get nothing. Maybe not seeing com1 is the problem.... comments?

Dave H
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I think the Toshiba as it has a combined usb/serialport,it uses USBF Serial COM9. COM1 usually is the case for most PPC's, but I think the Toshiba's are different.
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Guest on 02 September 2003

Thanks for the replys guys. I have contacted Fortuna and this is what they say:

With the "Unidentified USB device" message usually means you might have a cable that is not working right. You do not need a driver for your PDA so it might mean that the cable has some kind of problem..........

We had not encounter any problems with regarding the linking between the Toshiba units so please try it and let me know.......

I hAve tried connectin it again today and have not got the original error message. Set to com One it says cannot open the serial com 1 port. Then nothing from winfast.

On the Tools / portsetting menue in the dropdown box I have: USBF SERIAL COM9 ; IRDA COM2 ; irCOM3; I CANNOT SEE A COM 1 !! Surely I should see COM1 in there?

If I use the winfast menues to change the com and connect to any of the other ports com1 disapears from the menue bar of Winfast. To get it back I have to reinstall and start over.

The other ports just get nothing. Maybe not seeing com1 is the problem.... comments?

Dave H

I am sure the Fortuna guy gave you incorrect information.

Toshiba NEEDS a driver. May be it was unclear to him what you were asking.
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

I have just visited the Fortuna site and there is no PPC driver for U2.

Take advice I gave previously - forget about using USB GPS on a PDA.

BTW, I take it you have a USB U2?

How do you connect them?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Pc-Mobile on 02 September 2003

How do you connect them?

FYI:

Itis marked on the box as ps2. it has a female Ps2 on the aerial lead which plugs into a fly lead comming from a car cigaret lighter connection. comming off of this there is another lead which pugs into the (combined?) usb port oe the Toshiga e330 This is the only connector on the pc.

I will be retuning the aerial to the supplier. The next one I buy I will be asking wherever I buy to connect it and llet me SEE it works.

Dave
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Pc-Mobile on 02 September 2003

How do you connect them?

FYI:

Itis marked on the box as ps2. it has a female Ps2 on the aerial lead which plugs into a fly lead comming from a car cigaret lighter connection. comming off of this there is another lead which pugs into the (combined?) usb port oe the Toshiga e330 This is the only connector on the pc.

I will be retuning the aerial to the supplier. The next one I buy I will be asking wherever I buy to connect it and let me SEE it works.

Dave
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

So you have a serial one, not USB. That is a different matter.

And you have a TOSHIBA lead to connect the 2?

You should be supplied (or told where to download it) with a driver for Toshiba. Your Toshiba lead must be equiped with a USB>serial converter and that is the driver you need.

That is the only way, and there is no other way for Toshiba.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

You mean pl2303 usb to serial driver? thats the only one I can find on the net. Unfortunatly I already had it installed and I didnt work. The answer might be at: http://www.pc-counselor.com/u2s.htm for anyone interested
I have followed the instructions at the site including anrun time library update. Now I have a comport showing up in Winfast Navigator called USBER COM1. So I think I may have a driver but as I said I returned the GPS mouse as incompatable with the Toshiba e330. Will be buying another soon and any probs i will post them on this forum I just hope I have it right this time
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

Not necessarily PL2303 driver.
Many manufacturers use different USB>serial chips so must have different drivers.
You should not have to look for it. You should have been supplied with one.
If they made a cable for the Toshiba, it MUST BE compatible with e330/335/740/750.
Unless the shop who sold you the GPS does not have a clue what it is about.
RajUk
Occasional Visitor

sIMILAR Problem with my Toshiba to serial cable.

I bought a Toshiba to serial cable with power from Holuxuk and it comes up with unknown usb device.

if i try the USB driver on pc-mobile the message goes away but the thing does not work Sad

Await holux tomorrow and see what happens
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

All cables connecting Toshiba are the same:

They include USB>serial converters so you need a driver from the cable supplier/manufacturer.
M@rtin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Fortuna U2 off ebay and it was supplied with a Toshiba cable that works on an E335 (PPC2002) and an E755 (WM2003) using Tomtom Navigator 2. There are two versions of the U2, one serial and one USB, so perhaps you have the wrong one for Pocket PC use??

The E335 connects using COM1, the E755 uses COM2 for some weird reason. I do have one problem where Navigator doesn't realise it's getting GPS data and acts as though nothing's connected - the GPS status shows it's working fine. This is quickly fixed by switching to the map view and then back again. I've tried different versions of the GPS driver but nothing has fixed this so far.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: