Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KnightOwl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
However, the overwhelming majority of the 100s that completed the form agreed that a charge of £2.00 per download was reasonable.

I have to agree that £2 per download is unresonable on a "per download" basis, however I would much prefer between £12 to £20 per year.

I currently connect via POIEdit to update my Tomtom RIDER and this would cost £26 based on the "per download" basis thatyou are suggesting.

POIHandler on charge £11 approx per year, although not up to date like your database it's still a resonable charge compared to Tomtom and the "per download" basis.

Regards,

KnightOwl
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pushandpull wrote:
1. Have all the moaners on this site any idea of the amount of time and effort Mike Barrett and co. put into organising and maintaining the camera database - all completely voluntarily? Would any of them be prepared to give up all their free time to do the same? .

A number of contributors to this forum have already suggested that they would be willing and I'm sure that more than enough volunteers would come forward if that idea was proposed by the mods. Mike and co have done a wonderful job and no-one disputes that. But anyone inside the bunker could have seen that the job was getting too big and they could have asked for more voluntary help ages ago. The door is still open.

pushandpull wrote:
2. I forsaw the inevitablility of charging or for such an enterprise a long time ago. Such a massive undertaking as it has become needs to be run full-time..

...or by more volunteers.
pushandpull wrote:
3. I own a TTG Classic, a Garmin i3 and a Garmin Nuvi300 (my favourite) and use the PocketGPS cameras on all of them. When I first bought the TTG I made the mistake of buying the TTG camera database only to find it's nowhere near as accurate/comprehensive as the PocketGPS one! - and it's bl**dy expensive..

Good point - which illustrates just how good our database is and further proves that it doesn't need to become 'professional'. Does the TTom DB rely on the goodwill of contributors who believe in a community such as this? No. That's where our strength is - our DB relies on us helping ourselves, which will fast disappear once it goes 'professional'.
pushandpull wrote:
4. Around £24 a year or a £60 fine and penalty points on your licence. Surely there's no doubt which you need. I am not a "speedster" but there are occasions when one can exceed the limit without being aware of it so the camera database is a necessity. .

Yes it is a necessity. But that doesn't mean it should be charged for.
pushandpull wrote:
5. There are no other options. This is not a case of PocketGPS having us by the 'short and curlies' but is down to their innovation, devotion, expertise and willingness to provide such a service for our benefit (which nobody else is prepared to undertake) and I for one pray that they will continue to maintain the service to its' present high standard, even if it has to be paid for..

Others have already volunteered to undertake it - for free as I understand from earlier posts. The present high standard will fall once charges are implemented. Just read over the past week and see for yourself.
pushandpull wrote:
6. Like it or lump the database is going to be a paid-for service so let's stop moaning about it which will achieve nothing and instead talk about what we consider would be a fair payment and the method(s) of payment. .

A fatalist attitude. This is not a fait accompli. I'm sure the mods are reading all this and are willing to come to an agreement over how the DB could remain free with some extra help. To tell people to like it or lump it is not only unhelpful, it also ranks of arrogance which will only do more to get people's backs up.
pushandpull wrote:
7. My personal opinion? - No objection to a charge BUT (a) would much prefer a two-tier option of either £2 per download OR an annual charge of £20. (b) Would prefer payment by Credit card instead of Debit card as you have no protection from the card agency with a Debit card should it get compromised.

Your opinion and you're welcome to it. The majority opinion - don't charge for our DB. You'll end up undone and with a poorer site as a result.
alistairwat50n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: POI database charges Reply with quote

Its 9 days since the notice that started this thread was posted. Isn’t it time we had a response from the Pocket GPS World management to address the issues and suggestions raised?
gsxr1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truth is if the database was charged for annualy with unlimited downloads i am pretty sure passwords would be getting shared around with many people letting others use their password to bypass the charge

truth is people go on like they own this information and it belongs to them

i call b/s this information is public domain - just like the speedcams

some people go on like they installed the camera out of their own pockets
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey this is still going.
Perhaps those in favour stay here,
Those against, go to the new site and put your efforts into the free site being put together.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtomgo wrote:
Blimey this is still going.
Perhaps those in favour stay here,
Those against, go to the new site and put your efforts into the free site being put together.

Considering your Sig on that other forum, I'm surprised you're still here.
SonniesEdge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sacd wrote:

My recent post didn't even have a link to the alternative site but it was deleted anyway. I can't tell you how much this action disgusts me.

I've just had a post deleted for stating that admins deleting posts will damage community spirit here.

If that's the attitude the admins are going to take then quite frankly I hope this whole commercial venture fails horribly for them. Go and do a search for Censored .

How long before this post is deleted?

:x
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm still here to keep you lot honest.
Fat chance.
Hope you had a good christmas.
And judging by what you Directors and mods have said about the database being free, i'm surprised you still have the gall to suggest a charge for it.
You know what they say, people who live in glasshouses..........
conroyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: POI database charges Reply with quote

alistairwat50n wrote:
Its 9 days since the notice that started this thread was posted. Isn’t it time we had a response from the Pocket GPS World management to address the issues and suggestions raised?

They intend to respond on Thursday. Tomorrow.
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi con, looks like the mods are finally being themselves again.
Selective quotes, selective deletion, At least somethings remain the same.
How long before you charge £2 for spending so much time "moderating" these forums?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtomgo wrote:
Hope you had a good christmas.

Not bad, but I'm working nights in the freezing cold (from last night) just to make ends meet.
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a few days over in Holland but back at it Tommorow.
Have a good new year Tim, and everybody else.
cherryton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Who?How? Reply with quote

How will the database be updated if not by the users of this forum?
I know of 3 fixed and 3 mobile sites that are not on the database yet. (all in Scotland)
I was excited at the prospect of being able to contribute something back, and the TomTom 'POI 'upload' software looked like a good easy way to do this.

Im sure its a lot of work etc... but its appreciated. There are other ways to make a profit, and keep the whole ethos of the 'shared community' going. Other sites are purley funded through 'links' and advertisers pay a % of any subsequent spend etc when those links are used.

Anyway - not ranting or raving or disagreeing ........just wondering who will update the database? at least some of the commercial packages give you a 'money back' option if you get 'snapped' by an non recorded Speed Cam.

Confused
Parisno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Who?How? Reply with quote

cherryton wrote:
How will the database be updated if not by the users of this forum?
I know of 3 fixed and 3 mobile sites that are not on the database yet. (all in Scotland)
I was excited at the prospect of being able to contribute something back, and the TomTom 'POI 'upload' software looked like a good easy way to do this.
Confused

You and me both, I will not be sending any updates, if I have to pay to get them back. Shame on "Pocket GPS World" it seems greed is the name of the game round here!!
kevpol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: sad time NOT Reply with quote

Someone earlier said this was a sad time for the community and I agree.
It has shown that contrary to a very popular view this community has devolved into pettiness and backbiting.
OK so a few individuals own the coordinates of the cameras. Most police forces supply them anyway. no one except PGPSW owns the database.
Have you ever tried to call a directory enquiries number at xxP a min.
who owns the number ?
If you want you can post the coordinates into a forum and manually load it into your GPS.
My 16yr old can earn £3.50 an hour min wage. Bet it takes longer than one hour a month to manually input !

Sorry rant over but I think the guys here are still the good guys.
By taking ownership of the database they can ensure it is continued. Volunteers find other 'projects' to play with... Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 54 of 60

Jump to: