Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I have a new pda
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I have a new pda

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LizJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: I have a new pda Reply with quote

I have a new pda (Orange SPV M2000). I will not be using my old pda. Am I allowed to install TT3 on my new phone (and can I do it). I have tried by it is not offering me the right device code and I then started to wonder whether I am allowed to do this.

TIA

Liz
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your previous installation is more than six months ago then you can get a new activation code with the original Product code and the new device ID

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
LizJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear. The reason I have a new pda is that the old one kept doing a hard reset all on its own and I had to reinstall my programs.

I appreciate that TT have to protect their copyright but this doesn't seem to cope with real life situations.

I suppose I am stuck then for 5 months!

Liz
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz, Try giving TomTom support a ring, I know they get some bad press for poor support, But I have found them helpfull on both occasions, if you explain the problem truthfully then they might offer a solution, if you don't ask you don"t get - Mike
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz,
The hardest part is getting through. Just persevere and if you get the engaged tone, keep trying. There is a queue of five people only, once you are in the queue, stay there.
As Mike says, once you get through, they are very helpful.
Doug
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougproctor wrote:
There is a queue of five people only, once you are in the queue, stay there.

Doug, and others I think TomTom have changed for the better, I was in queue position nine the other day, so they must have more support, it also took less than 15 min to actually get through - Mike
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Tom's usual stance is to require you to provide proof that you have a new PDA in the form of a faxed invoice.
LizJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I did not purchase the new PDA, I got it as an upgrade from Orange (free) so I do not have an invoice as such. I might have a delivery or packing note. I'll search for one.

Cheers

Liz
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liz how many times had you installed it on a a new pda before getting this upgrade

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz,
Ring Orange and ask them to fax you a letter stating they have upgraded your phone. Then fax it if required to TomTom.
Orange will do this if you ask them.
Good to see TT have upgraded their support line. Must have been because of the complaints.
Doug
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having re-read your posts it looks like a new code shouldn't be needed. The software can be installed on a new device within 7 days of the first installation & every 6 months subsequently. Multiple re-installations to the same device should only count as one installation.

During installation to the M2000 you should get a new device code generated. Go to www.ttcode.com & enter this together with the product code & it should generate a new activation code.
LizJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reply to a couple of posts:

I had installed it on my first device (M1000) probably 4 times in all as the device did a hard reset all on its own a few times.

It is probably about 6 weeks since the last reinstall.

When I tried to install it on my M2000, I got a product code. When I went to activate the software, I got so far along the process and got to a screen that asked me if my device code was either one code or another. I could only click on one of those two codes. Neither of them were my device code that was showing on the device at the time.

I will try the Orange route suggested by some but as I have no access to a fax machine now until January, I will probably have to wait.

Thanks everyone.

Liz
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Liz,
Your product code comes from the plastic card that is supplied with the CD. The device code comes from your device when you install and run the program on the M2000. You then take the product and device codes from your PDa and put then to ttcode and get the activation code. As you have installed it before, it was picking up your previous machines device codes.
You do need to ring TomTom and, if you can get a letter, it might preempt them asking. Some have said you do and others said it was ignored. Depends on the wind direction and who you speak to. I was asked for it and got a code over the phone although they might say they will email it to you. Try and persist and say it is urgently needed.
Hope this helps
Regards
Doug
duette
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: re-installing TT Reply with quote

Hi liz,
I am a new user and just read your post, I had a similar problem with an Ipaq, got one stolen and bought a new one, after 2 months, I contacted Tom Tom and they asked to send inormation such as your original receipt for TT and your new receipt/proff of purchase for your Phone, next day I was back up and running, although they did forwarn me thatthis would only be a one off.

hope this helps.
LizJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this. I am glad you got up and running again. I do appreciate that TT have to protect their copyright but it is not inconcievable that your new device might break or be stolen. It is the software you have bought and I really think you should be able to use it on one device, whatever that device is.

I have found a way around my installation problems. I had purchased a new software and receiver pack to give my husband for xmas. I was going to install the new one on my old pda so he had a working system. Instead, I reinstalled the old one (v3) and the upgrade to 5 on the original pda and I will put the new software on my new pda.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: