Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rriggers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a question...

Could someone take a copy of the current database. Credit the current source to PGPSW and then use it as is and update it? (not reselling it obviously)

People link to and copy contents of news items in blogs and just link back to the source and i've not heard of any bloggers being taking to court for using anothers authors content?
soweezy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigstoo wrote:
so if PGPSW have been charging companies £2000 / £5000 for use of OUR db, are we not entitled to royalties from this?

they only charge if you do not acknowledge PGPSW or are pirating or passing it off as your own
most, if not all, of the companies I've found promoting the database as an added/pre-installed feature do

Garmin Zumo 390LM
soweezy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that should include "hosting it on your own or other web space" as well

Garmin Zumo 390LM
wibblemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite laughable really but the damage has now been done and the community, be they contributors to the database or not, now know the new site with the FREE database is now in the process of being compiled and will be supported by the community, something that PGPSW rather foolishly forgot about their "own" database. I use the term own very loosley as lat long coordinates cannot be copyrighted.

As far as i can see it the vast majority of the posts including myself are hugely angry at the way PGPSW have presumed that information provided by the community suddenly becomes theirs and theirs alone to do with what they wish and the community, imho, are going to stop supporting PGPSW out of the principle that the database was "by the community,for the community" and the "new" database on the other site (you all know what I mean) will strive towards the principles and ethics that was the founding reasons behind the database on PGPSW.

I deliberatley refuse to use the words "the PGPSW database" because, as far as I'm concernde it isn't theirs, it everybodys who contributes to it or assists other GPS users in the forums.

In other words it not PGPSW's it everybodies Exclamation
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst recently all the posts have been very well presented arguments (thanks for that it was getting very depressing) I feel there is something everyone is missing.

Surley the main objective is to ensure this community sticks together and continues to help each other in the way we always have done?

I realise without input from PGPSW it's difficult to reach a conclusion but I would hope this is still an option.

I agree whatever happens now damage has been done - but I believe it's still possible to resolve this with some reasonable discussion from both sides.

C'mon it's Christmas Thumbs Up

Chris
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Merry Christmas Everyone Reply with quote

Here here....chris_w...............MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE
soweezy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rriggers wrote:
a question...
Could someone take a copy of the current database. Credit the current source to PGPSW and then use it as is and update it? (not reselling it obviously)

not without PGPSW' permission, according to the license, although I'm not sure how legally binding their license is

you "could" take the data from the database, as they can't own or copyright the map data itself (IIRC map co-ordinates are the copyright of Ordinance Servey) only the database as a whole, and modify it to create your own
obviously you would have to check the validity of EVERY entry (that would take months) because PGPSW have almost certainly put in a couple of bogus cameras so they can proove the database has been pirated

Garmin Zumo 390LM
AL123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a suprise to come back to, I only visit occasionally, mostly to update my database and see If i can finally justify upgrading to tom tom 5 Laughing I don't exactly contribute though! However this site helped me a great deal to buy my mio 168 from one of your advertisers incidentely ;-) I can appreciate the ammount of time that goes into this site and you deserve some reward, sponsership/advertising etc can only go so far but I agree with the majority of productive posts here, offer some yearly sub discounts, especially as paying monthly is a pita, I realise this means you may not have such a constant monthly income but I simply wouldn't update each month myself as others have stated so you would probably end up with less cash from me and alot of others. Handled badly yes but going off to set up another one smacks of cutting your nose off to spite your face to me, just consider it a donation to pay for the staff's time, I think everyone underestimates how much effort goes into this. Admitedely I have never contributed but well so long as it stays significantly cheaper than any other then I will continue to support it hopefully it will continue to improve but if everyone off i think we will end up with 2 offerings both crapper than they should be :-(
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AL123 wrote:

but if everyone off i think we will end up with 2 offerings both crapper than they should be :-(

This is exactly what I' afraid of - surley if there is so much energy and enthusiasm to create a database (this means both of them Wink ) this can be done together? after all this will reduce the time everybody has to spend on it.

Chris
AL123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_w wrote:
AL123 wrote:

but if everyone off i think we will end up with 2 offerings both crapper than they should be :-(

This is exactly what I' afraid of - surley if there is so much energy and enthusiasm to create a database (this means both of them Wink ) this can be done together? after all this will reduce the time everybody has to spend on it.

Yup at the end of the day this is about perserving our licenses *ahem* i mean safety, the people contributing and putting this all together could doubtless be doing other stuff and getting paid well for it but have chosen instead to help others. Often these things grow much bigger and take much more time than you ever thought (something we are experiencing on another huge site) and you wonder where the time goes. I'm sure if we all stuck together and worked it through a compromise could be reached and we'd have the better database for minimum cost we all want
soweezy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a reminder, the POLL is here...

http://www.geocities.com/ringostarr_22/

Garmin Zumo 390LM
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about leaving manual downloads free, and charging a small amount to subscribe with an aplication on the GPS that automatically downloads whenever there's an update? (The app could then just download diffs which would be smaller than the whole databse, thus saving on bandwidth).
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could I just repeat what darren said few pages back

as yet the team are still deciding what method to use be it per download or yearly half yearly fee plus a few other things which the mods have come up as have members of this discussion. and I would think as soon as a decision is made the team will let everyone know

the reason I personally (i can't speak for anyone else) have been quiet on here is because so may people seemed be foaming at the mouth for want of a better fraise(persoanl view again) now it seams to have calmed down a bit I think that you'll be seeing more comments being posted.

and yes I am in favour of chargeing for the database and WILL BE PAYING for the updates
some might think I'm toeing the line I'm not
I think its something that should have happened 12 months ago but that's my personal veiw

back to business
could we please keep any comments constructive and try to move forward with this as it appears to be at the moment

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
furryfred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a recent convert to this site and its database. I had previously wasted my money on TomTom's own speed camera database which I immediatly found was inaccurate.
PGSW's however I find much better - and it is regularly updated!

The problem appears to be the number of people who have been using the database for free object to the possibility of having to pay.

What are the alternatives:

Pay £2 per download as aften as you feel you need to (not neccessary every month) for a reliable system?

Pay TomTom E65 a year for a hopelessly out of date product?

3 points on your licence and a fine of £xxx every time you miss a speed camera? There will then be added expense of your increased insurance premium after you have been banned as a totter when you have done Stop it! it 4 times (maximum) and the inconvenience of at least 6 months on public transport

Come on folks, use your common - we want a good service provided by someone we can rely on.
Do your bit to keep us all out of the traffic court and report the new cameras - and pay up towards a quality service!

Personally I will stay with this database and £2 per download is acceptable.

Merry Xmas

(a very very nice, handsome and generous gentleman who is really rather modest, shy and retiring!)

They didn't make many like him - and now they've lost the mould!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are following the thread and trying to digest the many and varied suggestions. Whilst in an ideal world I would reply to every post, clearly this is impossible here and the personal nature of some posts does not always encourage reasoned debate.

One option is to offer everyone who has submitted locations in the past free access which allows us to draw a line in the sand so to speak and reward those who assisted in building the database to what it is now.

Another possibility going forward is to reward submissions of new sites with free access etc for new contributors.

Payment methods are also something we are looking at in order to make access as easy as possible and allow subscribers the maximum amount of options.

Christmas is nearly upon us, I for one would like to sit back and enjoy this time with my family as outside of PocketGPS I work 60hrs a week running my own business not counting the time devoted here.

All constructive comments are welcomed, the thread will remain but I would repeat my earlier request that we keep it above board and in the spirit of the time of year cease the unwarranted personal attacks.

The January update will be released as planned free of charge and we will open a new thread with the options we propose as a result of the comments here sometime after Christmas.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 40 of 60

Jump to: