Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mossman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also forgot to add - how about the team commenting on how they intend to combat the proliferation and use of a paid-for copy appearing on P2P networks, and the sharing of a single copy between a number of people (by whatever means)?
Bigstoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they cant. if microsoft cant stop it, i hardly think they will be able to. granted we aren't talking about the same sort of exposure, but will be relative i spose.
Bigstoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i read somewhere (so dont quote me) that 60% of the worlds microsoft installs are pirated. yes i know that most of those are korea/china but 60% is a hefty figure which ever way you slice it.
mfuller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfuller wrote:
PGPSW Front Page wrote:

Charging £2.00 per download will not only facilitate our very first full-timer, but eventually allow professional physical checking (through sampling) of the camera positions.

You say eventually in your front page post.. what sort of time frame are we talking here ? I wouldn't mind betting the database is already suffering due to this charge scheme. How long before it's "professionally checked" ? Your statement makes it sounds as though it may be a while before we see professional physical checking.

I don't mind paying for a database, but I'm certainly not going to pay for one that is inaccurate. It was fine when the database was free, but if I'm paying, I expect accuracy.

Darren,

Can I get you to cast your eyes over my earlier post and get a comment from you ? As I said previously, I don't mind paying for the database, as long as it's accurate.

Thanks

Marc
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfuller wrote:
Quote:
You say eventually in your front page post.. what sort of time frame are we talking here ? I wouldn't mind betting the database is already suffering due to this charge scheme. How long before it's "professionally checked" ? Your statement makes it sounds as though it may be a while before we see professional physical checking.

I don't mind paying for a database, but I'm certainly not going to pay for one that is inaccurate. It was fine when the database was free, but if I'm paying, I expect accuracy.

Darren,

Can I get you to cast your eyes over my earlier post and get a comment from you ? As I said previously, I don't mind paying for the database, as long as it's accurate.

Thanks

Marc

We do not know present, obviously we would like to have the ability to physically verify every location already but the timeframe depends on the response to the charge and the income generated. We are looking at additional methods of verification, weighting every submission etc and perhaps ranking the people who report much like some SPAM services.

However we have a pretty accurate database already, certainly as accurate if not more so than the hardware based GPS SCD's.

Last edited by Darren on Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mossman wrote:
I also forgot to add - how about the team commenting on how they intend to combat the proliferation and use of a paid-for copy appearing on P2P networks, and the sharing of a single copy between a number of people (by whatever means)?

There are options open to us but of course it is impossible to protect against 100%.

However, if you wanted to use a camera database as a serious tool would you really trust a database sourced from a P2P site? If you would then good luck to you.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Questions that need answering from the pocketgpsworld te Reply with quote

SweetWilliam wrote:
Darren, I am truly sorry if you and other have beome the targets verbal abuse, but you are missing the obvious on the issue of newbie posters. The new posters by their very nature do not knoweach other and cannot possibly be part of an organised pressure group working against you.

What you have done is to provoke some of the normally silent majority into speaking their minds. You are obviously right - most of your regular downloaders have not expressed an opinion, and they never will - they will simply move onto a new free site without saying "thank you" or "good bye". You should listen those who are prepared to take the trouble of offering you feedback.

And that is fair comment. I was not suggesting that every post from a first time poster should be immediately disregarded but we have made some checks of posters against contributions (I'm talking camera submissions here as clearly first time posters have not contributed in the other forums threads) and only a handful can be matched to a camera submission.

We are looking at systems that will reward contributors of valid data, subscriptions etc but it's early days.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonB wrote:
As a thought.... could PGPSW just supply Fixed Camera Locations for Free in one POI File.

Then for additional cost, provide all the split POI's as are currently available.

This should provide enough info for people who just want free data, and then give a suitable justification for those who want to contribute etc.

Simon
--

Again, another valuable suggestion which we are considering. Thank you.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps73uk wrote:
The £2 per download is fine, but i hope you will at least consider an option of a £20 (ish) annual subscription?

Indeed. We have a problem with subscriptions via Credit/Debit card as for reasons I don't claim to understand, the Merchant Service providers do not like these for charge back/risk reasons.

However this is possible with PayPal. I would much prefer the annual option and we will push to offer this.
Bigstoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so let me get this straight. some PGPSW mods/admins are in favour of per download charging, some are annual charging, none of you know what formats the database will be available in. but yet you have taken the time, trouble and expense to get together, register it as a limited company, with no business plan, and obviously no idea what you are going to do or when??
mfuller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

We do not know present, obviously we would like to have the ability to physically verify every location already but the timeframe depends on the response to the charge and the income generated. We are looking at additional methods of verification, weighting every submission etc and perhaps ranking the people who report much like some SPAM services.

However we have a pretty accurate database already, certainly as accurate if not more so than the hardware based GPS SCD's.

OK, that's fair enough, Thankyou for your response.

When will we here more about how payment/downloads will be handled etc ? Will we still be able to use Poiedit ? I know Poiedit supports usernames/password for downloads so I assume it should be pretty easy to allow ?

When can we expect the database charges to come into effect ? (apologies if I missed it, it's a long thread :D)

Regards

Marc
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigstoo wrote:
so let me get this straight. some PGPSW mods/admins are in favour of per download charging, some are annual charging, none of you know what formats the database will be available in. but yet you have taken the time, trouble and expense to get together, register it as a limited company, with no business plan, and obviously no idea what you are going to do or when??

This is the precise reason why I avoided responding earlier, supposition, assumption and conjecture without any factual basis!

None of the above is based on fact! We have been a limited company for over a year and became so for reasons wholly seperate from the camera debate.

We hope to offer monthly and annual payment options (I have already explained why the annual option is not straightforward) and the database will be available in formats compatible with all the mainstream devices as it has been to date.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfuller wrote:

When will we here more about how payment/downloads will be handled etc ? Will we still be able to use Poiedit ? I know Poiedit supports usernames/password for downloads so I assume it should be pretty easy to allow ?

When can we expect the database charges to come into effect ? (apologies if I missed it, it's a long thread :D)

We have plans for a number of delivery options/install methods. POIEdit is one of those being investigated.

Charging is not proposed until February at the earliest as we have to complete the agreements with our Merchant Services provider
mfuller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
mfuller wrote:

We have plans for a number of delivery options/install methods. POIEdit is one of those being investigated.

Charging is not proposed until February at the earliest as we have to complete the agreements with our Merchant Services provider

Ok, sounds good. Fingers crossed the Poiedit works out Smile

Thanks

Regards

Marc
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ringostarr wrote:
RabStewart wrote:

As a newbie, I would just like to say thank you for an excellent site, forum and knowledge base, also the note above is about as middle of the road as can be and I agree..
As a newbie, I have bought road angel £150 s/h (now knackered) Godesy (knackered) and am using 02 XDA11i right now, tomtom 5 and your database and I am delighted with the result, I will happily subscribe to this in any of the forms discussed. At the current rates I will need to pay you for years to make up for the time you have put in, and I would like to add, dedication and proper support for an animal this big requires correct funding, so count me in? where do I sign up..

Me thinks this may be a MOD in disguise trying to cheep up the rest of the team ;)

after a quick IP check i can confirm that the only user that has posted from this ip address is, infact, rabstewart.

unfortunately the same cannot be said for many of the 'first post' users slagging off the decision...

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 30 of 60

Jump to: