Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but look at all the revenue those clicks are making. Oh damn it, i just got flashed.
greenopela
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its too much..

u know someone going to jump in and put it on ebay for less..

Keep it FREE!!

Greed is greatist evil
AlanCollier
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: A question for the PGPSW team: Reply with quote

A question for the PGPSW team:
Which came first?

"We need to improve the quality of the database."
or
"Mike Basset needs a new job in January."

We're all hugely grateful for Mike's work but the way this has been announced makes it look like Mike needs a new job in January and charging for the database is the way he's going to get it.

You do still have time to re-consider this decision, please do.

--Alan Collier
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ringostarr wrote:
There have been several posts asking for a poll, one even created a poll, but was a bit limited to the data it was collecting. Once and for all why doesnt PGPSW create a poll with these two basic questions??

Presumably because they now realise, in light of the overwhelming lack of support as demonstrated by the many posts to this thread, that the answers they get wouldn't be the ones they want. (I made a post elsewhere suggeting a poll - by mistake, I posted it as a new topic instead of as a reply to this one ... I added a note asking the mods to merge the post into this topic, but they just locked it and left it where it was, 'out in the cold' ....)

I also asked, perfectly reasonably in my most humble opinion, what had happened to the old promises that the database would always be a free resource.

A large part of the issue appears to be that, by going ahead with the plan to turn the database into a commercial enterprise (and I'm another one who believes that someone in PGPSW-land has confused the words 'professional' and 'commercial'!), there's a whole load of goodwill that'll just disappear down the pan. Given that the database, by its very nature, relies heavily on goodwill for its continued existence, that strikes me as being akin to suicide.
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtomgo wrote:
Maybe but i bet pgpsw will flood the likes of emule etc with doctored versions, the ones that like blow up your GO, oh! but they wouldn't do that, would they now. Although it would save time by not having to worry about introducing protective code.

Maybe old copies renamed but as for ones that will blow up your GO you living in a dreamland :D for a start it would be just as illegal as the file itself.
velcrohead
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdrider1 wrote:
Quote:

it's been mentioned before that a deal was struck with maplin giving them the right to use the PGPSW database with their products. PGPSW were approached by the retailers wanting to add value to their product. i presume there was a financial incentive so basically the equivalent of maplin buying the database for each customer.

MaFt

If this is true did PGPSW get permissions from the contributors before selling it for commercial gain?

I thought the same thing.
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, Just a thought, If so many people object to paying to download the database that they contributed to, then how about leaving it free to download, and if you want to employ someone full time, then charge say £10 anualy to be a member of this web site. That way, only members can download the database, (as many times as they want), free of charge, you are getting your money to pay for a full time employee, and the issues about being sued for not providing acurate data will not arrise, as the database is still free to members.
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His job will be justifying his salary when we are all getting the database elsewhere.
Maldy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanda wrote:
Hi Everyone, Just a thought, If so many people object to paying to download the database that they contributed to, then how about leaving it free to download, and if you want to employ someone full time, then charge say £10 anualy to be a member of this web site. That way, only members can download the database, (as many times as they want), free of charge, you are getting your money to pay for a full time employee, and the issues about being sued for not providing acurate data will not arrise, as the database is still free to members.

What??? What does this solve? The objection is PAYING for a service which has up until now been free and contributed to by normal folk. Like everything else in this country, this is yet another example of a decent simple idea being hijacked by compexity and money making ideals. Membership fees, dual tiered services - for god's sake why do people have to complicate and ruin everything ?????
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Mike Barret Reply with quote

I've just noticed - the opening article was posted by Mike Barret himself, but it gave the appearance of having been written by someone else, as he refers to himself in the 3rd person.

I wonder why he did that - it seems odd.

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gareth71 wrote:
(I made a post elsewhere suggeting a poll - by mistake, I posted it as a new topic instead of as a reply to this one ... I added a note asking the mods to merge the post into this topic, but they just locked it and left it where it was, 'out in the cold' ....)

Sorry, but we don't have the facility to merge posts from different threads.
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe old copies renamed but as for ones that will blow up your GO you living in a dreamland :D for a start it would be just as illegal as the file itself.[/quote]

Unplugged, i know mate it was a tongue in cheek comment.
But seriously i have heard of a Major company putting bogus recordings on the site that wreak havoc with the systems they are used on.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we get our voluntary donations refunded with interest?
Making voluntary donation to a free to use site is one thing, help funding somebodies new business is a different thing!
Never saw myself as an internet site "angel", especially unknowingly Crying or Very sad
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A question for the PGPSW team: Reply with quote

AlanCollier wrote:
A question for the PGPSW team:
Which came first?

"We need to improve the quality of the database."
or
"Mike Basset needs a new job in January."

Mike Bassett? Wasn't he 'England Manager'?
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
gareth71 wrote:
(I made a post elsewhere suggeting a poll - by mistake, I posted it as a new topic instead of as a reply to this one ... I added a note asking the mods to merge the post into this topic, but they just locked it and left it where it was, 'out in the cold' ....)

Sorry, but we don't have the facility to merge posts from different threads.

So perhaps, instead of going back on previous promises and charging for a community resource like the speed cam database, you should look instead at levying a small charge for overall site membership and using some of the proceeds to register yourself some decent forum software? I'm a moderator on a forum elsewhere on the web which uses InVision software, and the ability merge, split and move posts from one topic to another is a basic, fundamental part of the software's functionality.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 16 of 60

Jump to: