Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beldaal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - a mixed bag of responses here. My view - FWIW - is that you would be perfectly within your rights to say "OK - that's it. Let someone else do it" - and where would we be then?

Somehow we've got to cut through all the intellectual rights, copyright, and other crap, and let you see something for the enormous effort you have, and continue to put into it all. I really don't see if someone choses to volunteer the information that there's a camera at X/Y, that this information somehow becomes HIS possession. What if 2 people volunteer it? Do they BOTH own it 100%?

As I see it, the extremely nominal charge covers ADMINISTRATION and time spent, not ownership or liability.

I would certainly pay - and probably be willing to pay more that the £2. Why should we benefit so massively from the efforts of some who get nothing (apart from a probably rapidly-shrinking sense of self-satisfaction)?

Voluntary contributions to the site are fine and laudable - except that for everyone who contributes, there are probably 50 or more who don't.

Let's just settle down and think about this rationally and sensible.

And then agree to pay the extremely nominal contribution.

Buit then - I may be wrong (often am).

Nigel
JonnyW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is safe to say - judging by the responses from people on these posts - there is a lot of upset users who are not going to return to this website when charging comes into force.

This will of course impact on the revenue the site generates from advertisements as visitors will not be using the links

It looks like there will be more damage than good done to PGPSW's reputation and database. I am a little concerned about the amount of talk of submitting wrong information to the chargeable "service" and the talk of other people no longer contributing to the database. This will in itself render the databases useless and laughable as (1) a chargeable service and (2) as the so called "reliable database.

PGPSW, in my opinnion are silly to start charging for this database but it appears they have already made up their mainds and are going to do it anyway. BECAUSE OF THIS...

I THINK WE CAN SAY GOODBYE TO THIS ONCE EXCELLENT SERVICE
TheBoyGroucho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrRusty wrote:
Quote:
In this case ALL the third party data contributed to the database is protected by copyright.

This is just not true. For something to be copyright it has to be a unique creation in some way. Just reporting something that already exists does not create a copyright.

"Copyright is an automatic right and arises whenever an individual creates a work that exhibits a degree of labour..."
Visiting a particular location in order to collect data (which clearly has an intrinsic value) is well within the definition of a "degree of labour".
Consider also that the information was then forwarded as part of an email which in itself offers protection within the copyright laws.
Blue_Bear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean there will be new features, for example knowing what side of the road the GATSO is on, as with TTG it reports the Camera if it's on the other side of the road, which is something my Road Angel is clever enough not to do.

As for charging catch 22 really, TomTom charge for their service so some competition there, free is great but where would Bill Gaqtes be now if he'd gone down the same route, and if you do charge you are then providing a chargeable service so quality of product becomes critical, where as when it's free it's like it or lump it. Plus especially as it could cost people 3 Points & Fines "if" your data provided by other people is inaccurate you'd need to make sure the Legal people tie down your T's & C's very tight.

Might of been stated before, but not got time to read 13 pages.

All The Best
Steve
ringostarr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ringostarr wrote:
Bigstoo wrote:
Bigstoo wrote:
A couple of basic questions that would soon put an end to all doubts which way you could go:

POLL1
Would you be willing in principle to pay for the saftey camera database from PGPSW? YES / NO

POLL2
If charging was applied would you continue to contribute updates to PGPSW? YES / NO

If after the polls you have enough YES's to cover your costs, there is your answer. If you have a large % of NO's, then that tells you how it will be im afraid.

I will create these Polls as they appear to be desired ... URLs to follow

Rich

There have been several posts asking for a poll, one even created a poll, but was a bit limited to the data it was collecting. Once and for all why doesnt PGPSW create a poll with these two basic questions??

It seems obvious to me. If most are No, then you have no site and no product to offer. If most are Yes, then youre on to a winner. simple.

The New Poll is available on the same URL as the other one (which is still there)

Question is :

Would you be willing in principle to pay for the saftey camera database from PGPSW?

Options are :

YES : If Charging was introduced I WOULD continue to collect and submit data

YES : If Charging was introduced I MAY continue to collect and submit data

YES : If Charging was introduced I WOULD NOT continue to collect and submit data

NO : I would STOP using the database and get information elsewhere

NO : I would use the last version available and live with it as is

Hope this one has more detail

Please vote in your thousands (i'm sure you will)

the URL again incase you can't see it on this page

[url]http://www.geocities.com/ringostarr_22 [/url]

Thanks

Rich
soweezy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beldaal wrote:
As I see it, the extremely nominal charge covers ADMINISTRATION and time spent, not ownership or liability.

a nominal fee is one thing, the potential £100,000 plus a year in subscriptions just to administer a database we helped build is another

and that's just from 4,500 downloads a month, which I think is a conservative estimate

Garmin Zumo 390LM
shrubies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one other thing is, it is £2 now what stop them in six month uping that to £3 OR £10 a month, as it has now gone from free to £2. Also are they going to make there account avaible so we can have a look, like most public conpanys.
Horndean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was one of the guys that went to the Basingstoke Show, great show it was too. I can remember at reception signing in with my email address, did I really say I would be happy to pay for the database service!

Lets be honest It is a service, ok a few of you that have sent data in have contributed to its formation and you should be looked after but the rest of us get a good deal for nothing. I could and would treat this service for my car and my licence the same way as I do my computer, I have the paid version of AVG anti-virus @ £21.30 per annum and Spy Sweeper @ $19.95 per annum. Both of these are totally automated and I do nothing, it's all updated in the background saves a lot of hassle and grief.

If the owners of the site decided to charge I would expect a more professional setup than we have at the moment, an all belts & braces brand new program where my input was minimal.

As to charges, sell the program, annual fee for upgrades, just make it reasonable. £2 download will not work, 3 or 4% of that will go in the visa fees plus all the trouble of setting it up and I don't think punters would use it as often as you would hope.

I live in Hampshire which is a "quiet" little County compared to others regarding cameras, but a lot are not accurrately shown, I presume the owners would use a new army of agency workers to correct this small fault in a new program. A lot of good could come out of this for every one if it was setup right.

Regards

Bob
Bigstoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm dont think the bill gates analogy quite works here. when he bought dos, he paid for it (albeit a pidly $50,000 looking back) he didnt ask for all the programmers to send him all their individual programs free of charge, and then amalgamate those programs under the name ms-dos, and sell it. he bought a product, tarted it up, and sold it under licence. thats how commerce works. this aint the same.

if PGPSW think they 'own' the database, then they have a problem. If nobody updates it, and come on, there is no way in hell that 1 person is going to be able to physically check the validity of all the safety cams in the uk every year, never mind every month, so the data will become more and more inaccurate. So there would be no point even having a database installed KNOWING they are so inaccurate.

No sign of a poll from PGPSW yet?? nope.
Noony
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern is that users stop providing their updates of camera positions. The information currently freely provided by users is unbeatable.

I woud not use Paypal as a payment method.

The current download is big, users download every format everytime, surely it would be better to have smaller download options.

Finally I know that £2 per month is not much, but I do think someone else will try to setup another free service...

Certainly a hot topic!
Bigstoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers ringostarr, looks like pgpsw dont want to do one.
BERT_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBoyGroucho wrote:
MaFt wrote:

unfortunately these things happen! it's publicly available data (anyone can get co-ords for a fixed point on a street) so very hard to prove ownership.

MaFt

So how can Pocketgps sell something that they can't prove they own??.

Just because the individual data is freely available doesn't mean that the compiled data has to be given away free. Electoral roll data is freely available to anyone who wishes to view the public records but companies compile all of this data and sell it. Companies don't own your address but it's possible for them to sell this information to other companies.

I think who own's the data is a non-starter. Pocket GPS World are providing a service by compiling and distributing the data and therefore are entitled to charge a fee to cover costs (admin, bandwidth, etc) and potentially receive a profit.

I'm going to throw in some other ideas to consider too as there seems to be a lot of talk about how this MUST be free

As I've said before I'm not 100% sure about the decision but I can understand it. The Internet is practically one of the only "places" where you can get free products (I can think of virtually no physical stores etc where you can get anything for free), but people seem to be unrealistic and when they are unable to get their free thing they feel cheated and that a huge injustice has happened.

There have been numerous posts commenting on the adviertising banners paying for the site. I have no facts or figures for this site, but I know that Internet advertising makes some money but that revenues from advertising alone are usually low.

If you really don't want to pay anything for the speed camera database then there is really a simple option. ( Donning flame retardant suit:)16 )Take your foot off that accelerator! :D There are plenty of free signs informing you of the speed you need to be doing - you don't need a £20 database or £300 worth of GPS equipment to do it! :D In fact you might even save some money as you won't be burning your fuel up! Driving

People are also questioning the accuracy of this database compared to a commercially manufactured version. Is it not possible that a database with data submitted by a possible total of 20,000 and more members is going to be more accurate than one compiled by a company with no where near the same number of "camera detecting" employees?

If the database subscription could lead to an improved site then might it be worth the extra cost? A full time managed site might be able to negotiate discounts with suppliers, contain more content, etc
Bigstoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how would employing an army of agency workers to check the validity of cameras save costs????
bowler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just given up the subscription for Road Angel in favor of using the PGPSW database, which I have found to be just as good, both have cameras that have been removed or resited so even the commercial ones are not 100% accurate.

However the cost at £2 per month compares very favorably to RA's costs. I would pay £2 per month but would favor a yearly option just as RA Origin Blue etc.

I have used Paypal for years and found it to be secure, more secure than giving a CC no directly to a retailer you do not know.

I think its a shame that it has come to this but site/bandwidth costs will be high with this site becoming more popular by the day and costs dont go down.

There has been much animosity in this thread which I doubt the authors ever intended.
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple solution to all this is say stuff em and start our own database.
I am sure we have enough technically competent people but do we have people who are committed enough.
I would be for a truck load of readies!!.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 13 of 60

Jump to: