Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PDA GPS Solution Advice
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PDA GPS Solution Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Storm1979
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: PDA GPS Solution Advice Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm on the look out for a GPS system to connect to my IPAQ 3850.

I've done pleanty of research, read the specs, read the reviews and unfortunately I'm no closer to making my decision.

As both units are similarly priced could someone try and sway me one way or the other based on their own personal experiences?

A couple of useful questions to be answered are:

1 - Does the Navman support Speed Camera POI's and other POI updates that seem so popular on this forum

2 - Did I read correctly that if I buy a TomTom2 I will also have to buy a UK map to get street level detail? Seems crazy!

3 - Does one systems offer much better functionality than the other?

I've seen some people mention that the use of a CF GPS coupled with a Ipaq CF Sleeve is a better option for upgradability. My question is this - what choice of software is available and will it work as well as an intigrated package (such as the tomtom or Navman), and finally isn't this a much more costly option.

FYI - I've recently purchased the IPAQ 3850, and thats all I own, no SD cards, no sleeves, nothing. (Still not bad for £100) - So which option would provide the best value for money?

Many thanks in Advance - and I appriciate your help!

Mike
Bigdrinks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: PDA GPS Solution Advice Reply with quote

Mike, from a laymans point of veiw. All I owned was a Toshiba E740 PDA, I bought a TTN2 kit off ebay for £170.

The kit contained brand new, sealed TTN2 software. A Haicom 203e GPS. A PDA mount/holder for your cars' air vent and all the necessary power leads.

TTN2 has the whole of the U.K. street level inc. in the software.

All I had to buy was a SD card, again £33 off ebay for a new 128mb sd card which I now have all of the UK loaded onto.

My whole system works perfectly, no probs at all.

Hope this helps.
Storm1979
Occasional Visitor

Cheers Bigdrinks,

It looks to me that a Haicom CF + TTN2 software is the way to go.

However, after reading reviews of TTN2 I have a couple of concerns:

Road Names - Apparently with TTN1 you had to be zoomed in quite close to read the names (because this has been displayed between the road lines) has this system been improved with TTN2

Could some please confirm that if I get the TTN2 software I wont need to purchase any further maps for the UK?

Also does TTN2 give you an ETA?

Many thanks,

Mike
Bigdrinks
Occasional Visitor

Mike

Dont know about TTN1, But on 2, the road that you are on is shown on the bottom of the screen in the info box (for want of a better expression).

All the UK IS inc. in a UK version of TTN2.

Not sure about an ETA, still learning (playing)

Perhaps my veiws are clouded as I have never compared it to anything else.

The key issue is that I'm quite computer illiterate, and knew sod all about sat nav untill I bought my set up. I'm very pleased indeed with it. I've even got the speed camera POI warner loded now !
Bigdrinks
Occasional Visitor

Furthermore.....

Just had another 'play' and Yes, you can have 'time to destination' and 'arrival time' indicators.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Mike, check out my reply in the duplicate thread you created.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: