Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN5: 2 Search Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN5: 2 Search Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: TTN5: 2 Search Questions Reply with quote

I'm happily using TTN5 on my Palm T|X (Delorme BlueTooth Logger as my GPS receiver). Overall pretty happy, but a bit frustrated with aspects of searching for a POI. So:

1. Occasionally I want to search for a POI (in a city or not in a city) where I'm not sure which category to which it would have been assigned.

So is there a way to search directly for the name of the POI without specifying a category?

2. When I do a search, and there are multiple entries for the same item, in different locations, it shows the distances for each (presumably from the last known GPS location). But there doesn't seem to be a way to determine where each one is without selecting it and looking at the map. If it isn't the one I'm looking for, I have to redo the entire search from the beginning.

So is there a way to access the address or other location information about individual entries in such a list, or being able to directly return to the search which produced those results?

Thanks!

Don
DLC Photography
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. no

2. no

Man, I'm being helpful today... not. But that's how it is. Send your suggestions to TomTom.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Man, I'm being helpful today... not. But that's how it is. Send your suggestions to TomTom.

Thanks for the confirmation, Lutz. I figured as much, but was hoping that I might have missed something.

As for sending suggestions to TomTom, I have about zero confidence in their ability to acknowledge, let alone respond, to any communications, based on my past experience. Do I sound a tad cynical? :x

Don
DLC Photography
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed you do. And remember elections - you are only eligible to complain about the results if you have voted.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
flyguy26e
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: TTN5: 2 Search Questions Reply with quote

DLCPhoto wrote:

2. When I do a search, and there are multiple entries for the same item, in different locations, it shows the distances for each (presumably from the last known GPS location). But there doesn't seem to be a way to determine where each one is without selecting it and looking at the map. If it isn't the one I'm looking for, I have to redo the entire search from the beginning.

So is there a way to access the address or other location information about individual entries in such a list, or being able to directly return to the search which produced those results?
DLC Photography

THis might help: tap and hold on one of the enttries. It will shift to a smaller font and display the entire entry, which might let you decide it's the one. To see another entry, DON'T lift off the screen, but just drag to the next entry. If none of the entries are right, drag off the top or bottom of the entry list, then lift your stylus/finger. You can now back up or scroll the screen.
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: TTN5: 2 Search Questions Reply with quote

flyguy26e wrote:
THis might help: tap and hold on one of the enttries. It will shift to a smaller font and display the entire entry, which might let you decide it's the one. To see another entry, DON'T lift off the screen, but just drag to the next entry. If none of the entries are right, drag off the top or bottom of the entry list, then lift your stylus/finger. You can now back up or scroll the screen.

Appreciate the suggestion, and I was glad to read this. Unfortunately, on my Palm T|X, this doesn't seem to work. That is, when I press/hold an individual entry, nothing happens to the text size or display. I can press/hold, as well as go from one entry to the next, or down to the bottom, so it keeps within that screen, but since the text size doesn't change, it doesn't give me any additional information.

Are you on a PPC device? Which version of TTN5? This apparently works for you, and I'd love for it to work for me as well.

Don
DLC Photography
flyguy26e
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a PPC (Ipaq 2210) with TTN 5.0. I just assumed the versions all acted the same, but perhaps not in all the details. Bummer! It's a useful feature when you have a list of apparently identical items.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: TTN5: 2 Search Questions Reply with quote

DLCPhoto wrote:
Unfortunately, on my Palm T|X, this doesn't seem to work. That is, when I press/hold an individual entry, nothing happens to the text size or display. Don

That is very weird. It does work flawlessly on my T3.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: TTN5: 2 Search Questions Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
DLCPhoto wrote:
Unfortunately, on my Palm T|X, this doesn't seem to work. That is, when I press/hold an individual entry, nothing happens to the text size or display. Don

That is very weird. It does work flawlessly on my T3.

Interesting. I just double-checked, and nothing has changed. This trick doesn't work on my T|X. I checked various settings and preferences, changed the keyboard from small to large, but didn't see anything that did or could change this.

Sure wish this did work for me, as it would be quite helpful. Any thoughts on a particular setting or preference within or without TomTom that might enable this function?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, this is standard functionality. Get a decent PDA or report the issue to TomTom.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Get a decent PDA or report the issue to TomTom.

Are you seriously implying that the T|X isn't a "decent PDA"???

I will report it to TomTom, though.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. I think the T|X is a step back from the T3. And it has no chance whatsoever against my iPAQ 6315 (ok, apart from the screen resolution).

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Indeed. I think the T|X is a step back from the T3. And it has no chance whatsoever against my iPAQ 6315 (ok, apart from the screen resolution).

Certainly everybody is entitled to their own opinions, according to their particular needs and preferences, but to say that the T|X isn't a "proper" PDA seems a bit extreme. See, for example, this thread at BrightHand, with posts from T3 owners on their T|X experiences:

T3 vs T|X Thread

The added Wi-FI, improved battery life, 128mb memory, and superb screen of the T|X more than offset the missing voice recorder and vibrate option of the T3 for many users - ymmv.

I've seen very strong opinions and experiences on both sides of the Palm OS vs WM5 and PPC OS, and don't want to divert this thread needlessly.

My T|X serves me well as a superb videoplayer, MP3 player, provides Wi-Fi email and internet access, excellent GPS, in addition to the very solid basic PIM functions, with incredible battery life.

So again, I'm hoping your comments were more 'tongue-in-cheeck' since the T|X can certainly hold its own in this category, although certainly there is no one device that can be all things to all people. And it is certainly incumbent on TomTom to have all their program functions on what is likely to be a very popular PDA.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still at loss why the T|X would behave differently than the T3 for the TomTom hit list. Have you tried this both in portrait and landscape mode?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DLCPhoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
I am still at loss why the T|X would behave differently than the T3 for the TomTom hit list. Have you tried this both in portrait and landscape mode?

Tried it both ways - no joy.

And just to be sure we're on the same page here: I'll do a search (e.g. Advance Planning, and choose POI in a City, select a category, open up the keyboard to do a search, and then find multiple listings with the same name, distinguished only by the distance on the left-most side of the display for each entry. This is where I would want to obtain more detailed information about each entry, and apparently where you can just tap and hold any given line, and it will shrink the text and display address and/or other information.

If you are speaking of a different function, please let me know.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: