Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Some questions re CP6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Some questions re CP6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to either start a new forum for CP6, or to review all of the announcements and stickies on this forum, and indicate in the subject line as to which version they apply to.

Everybody has different ideas of what needs improving. It's a shame that this forum software, or its implementation, doesn't support the creation of polls. Then people would be able to post what they consider to be urgent changes that are required for CP6, and we could really see what percentage of users agree or disagree with them.

Personally, I think that ALK are ignoring the advantage that they have over other products in that they have a desktop planning tool, but aren't maximising on the integration between desktop and PDA. I think that they should be using ActiveSync to share the settings for road speeds, etc, to load the Custom POI's into both at the same time, to synchronise routes and favourites between the two, and to load tracks back into the desktop application. But then I tend to pre-plan my routes on a PC, while others may be creating their (delivery) routes on the fly, during the day.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:

Quote:
... I think that ALK are ignoring the advantage that they have over other products in that they have a desktop planning tool

I agree. These advantages can so easily be missed by prospective purchasers.

As well as, perhaps, the polls also mentioned by iankb, what seems to be needed is a ready comparison, in columns showing the features offered, and not offered by the various PPC Navigator packages. I would also love to see a Remarks column describing whether, how, and to what extent they work worse or better in the various packages.

Having said that, I ould not expect anyone else to do the work to produce either the poll or the comparison when I can't give up the time myself.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a different brand of forum software (that I regularly use elsewhere), polls are easy to set up. What I'm talking about here is a poll-type thread for each feature request, where people would get to vote on 'essential / desirable / nice-to-have / might use / wouldn't use'.

As to a feature-by-feature comparison, this would be far too subjective, and would cause the same arguments as the forum review of CP5. Hence my suggestion for polls instead.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb

I respect your opinion on polls and feature-by feature comparisons but I think that polls would complement, rather than be a substitute for, discussion - which might well include some arguments. Maybe it's the disagreement that you want to eliminate, I don't know. Much of what I want to eliminate, however, is to do with whether we're allowed to disagree - or even to state a fact.

who's allowed to say what
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to stop the freedom of speech and, definitely, not trying to start another argument.

I just wanted to present a concise and meaningful view of users' wishes to ALK, rather than the endless repetition of personal views (mine as well as yours) that frankly, I think ALK gave up reading long ago. Because of the irritation factor, repetition can often weaken an argument, rather than enforce it.

I find that forum users are quite likely to vote anonymously on something, whereas they don't like to post on an emotive thread because of the chance that they get involved in the argument. Therefore, it can be difficult to see which changes would gain the most approval, as opposed to those where the person shouts the loudest. Of course, that isn't to say that they aren't the same. Smile

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb, I share your objectives and hope that, somehow, they can be realised.
lynnk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto

Smile
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I posted above saying, in effect, that I didn't think that there was a great deal of problem with Shortest routing in CP 6, I have done some more work, as a result of which I now have to be less optimistic. The details posted on another thread, whose link is as follows:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=172305#172305
GregW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that ALK are missing a trick by not providing closer coupling between the desktop app and the PDA one. I really should be able to have on set of favourites that is synced between the two automatically, for example, using ActiveSync, or via a download option if using a memory card.

While on the subject of memory cards, I'm really confused about the trip download options when I already have a full pre-install of CP6 via the supplied SDRAM. As far as I am aware, that card has all the UK maps & POI's on already. So when I plan a trip on the desktop, why will iyt not let me simply pass down the .TRP file - instead it forces me to download the shole maps again. I find this confusing for two reasons:-
1) I don't want to risk overwriting the preinstalled data.
2) I don't know what it will do if I have multiple sets of map data.
3) I don't want my preinstalled data that covers all of the UK to be overwritted by a smaller subset.
4) It defaults the download to a make a bootable copy - but I've already got one that came preinstalled.

As as result, I have not used this option. I have manually copied a .TRP file which seemed to work, but seemed to miss favourites.

It is just all so frustrating - the desktop integration should be the *killer* feature of CP6 over the competition. It's a damned site easier to plan your routes on your PC, where playing with alternatives and browsing the map is easy. But it just does not quite join up.

I still like and use the desktop app despite this, but just live with the fact that the integration is somewhat manual.
GregW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - Sorry about the typos above. I was expecting to be able to edit my posts, but it appears I cannot do that with this message board software Sad
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregW wrote:
I agree that ALK are missing a trick by not providing closer coupling between the desktop app and the PDA one. I really should be able to have on set of favourites that is synced between the two automatically, for example, using ActiveSync, or via a download option if using a memory card.

Also on my wishlist, pardon the repetition. Meanwhile, if you want to merge or view PPC favorites yourself you can copy favorite.lst (your spelling may vary) from the PPC to the PC, into D:\Program Files\CoPilot\PocketPC6\NA\Save\favorite.lst (for my NorthAmer case).
Now the PPC favorites will be visible and useable on the PPC. CoPilot must be closed during the copy, since it over-writes favorite.lst on exit.
I think ActiveSync could even in principle merge the PPC and PC versions of this file, but it's not useful functionality because the two copies must be in directories known to ActiveSync, not the CoPilot directories. But ALK could easily enable this for ActiveSync, I think.

As you may know, the PPC adds all your trip stops to favorites, at least the most recent 50. But the PC only adds them to the (separate) favorite list when you select one and press "add to favorites". There has been much gnashing of teeth when CP5 fairly often 'lost' the PPC favorites, your cherished list of discovered places built up over many months. This problem seems to have occurred when the SD card got close to full, by accumulating too many GPSTracks files sometimes. Make a copy of PPC favorite.lst occasionally if you are concerned.

GregW wrote:

While on the subject of memory cards, I'm really confused about the trip download options when I already have a full pre-install of CP6 via the supplied SDRAM. As far as I am aware, that card has all the UK maps & POI's on already. So when I plan a trip on the desktop, why will iyt not let me simply pass down the .TRP file - instead it forces me to download the shole maps again. I find this confusing for two reasons:-
1) I don't want to risk overwriting the preinstalled data.
2) I don't know what it will do if I have multiple sets of map data.
3) I don't want my preinstalled data that covers all of the UK to be overwritted by a smaller subset.
4) It defaults the download to a make a bootable copy - but I've already got one that came preinstalled.

As as result, I have not used this option. I have manually copied a .TRP file which seemed to work, but seemed to miss favourites.

It is just all so frustrating

I'm not an expert on the downloading, but here is my understanding (maybe ALK will confirm):
The download to SD card replaces all the CP data on the card. But it is harmless to include the current card data along with new data. You should include the QuickStart option, to preserve the ability to reload CP after reset, or you will lose this data.
This may seem annoying when you just want to download a trip, and I think I would also consider manually moving the TRP file to the PPC as you did. But it should be harmless to add any additional data, including map or trip data, to the selection of files already on SD.

I believe one of the features of CoPilot is fully integrated mapsets, meaning that all map data, even overlapping, is merged at download. There are no internal boundaries in the data, as reported in some other GPS software that may 'jump' when you cross a county line. This is the reason for rebuilding and replacing the SD contents at download, someone once told me.

I have not seen the 1gig SD card now supplied with preinstalled maps. So I am only guessing that it is similar to other SD cards with downloaded CP map data, guessing that it is writeable, and guessing that you won't lose all your UK data if you believe me and add to the download! In the worst case I think you have CDs from which to replace the original data exactly as it was (more guessing, sorry).

I download only via Card Reader, I gave up on ActiveSync for large downloads back in version 3.7. Most users strongly recommend Card Readers since they are many times faster, and always work. I haven't tried newer ActiveSync.

Oh, as for editing your posts, I use the "preview" button to see how the result is looking. You can press it multiple times and continue to edit in the window below it, before you finally press 'submit'. It's easier to spot mistakes in the preview window.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMWBiker wrote:
...You should include the QuickStart option, to preserve the ability to reload CP after reset, or you will lose this data....

Once you have the 2577 directory (QuickStart) on your SD card, it should only be necessary to create and download another one if the PC program has been updated. The Old (current) 2577 directory will remain.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above discussion of Favourites would not be necessary if Copilot actually had a Favourites list. What is needed is for the existing list to be re-titled Past Stops & Destinations and for a list of Favourites, which the user would maintain, added.

Unless I am mistaken, whatever editing method is used, the existing "Favourites" list, requires constant attention if it is not to become unmanageable because of unnecessary volume.
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
BMWBiker wrote:
...You should include the QuickStart option, to preserve the ability to reload CP after reset, or you will lose this data....

Once you have the 2577 directory (QuickStart) on your SD card, it should only be necessary to create and download another one if the PC program has been updated. The Old (current) 2577 directory will remain.

You are correct, I tried this. The Quick Start data remains on the SD card even if you do not check it as part of the download, as long as it once got loaded in the 2577 directory.

However you must check the "Include Highway Network" on each download to obtain or retain the major highway network of a country on SD. This allows you to see the major roads even outside your other map selections for download.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMWBiker wrote:

...However you must check the "Include Highway Network" on each download to obtain or retain the major highway network of a country on SD. This allows you to see the major roads even outside your other map selections for download...

I case anyone wonders what you are on about - We don't have that problem with the standard UK version - everything fits onto a 256MB SD card with about 40% free. In fact we don't even have that option when we download the UK maps to SD card.

I cant comment sbout what happens when you add additional regions - I haven't seen it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: