Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Unreliable message but showing satalites ???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Unreliable message but showing satalites ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
droflas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Unreliable message but showing satalites ??? Reply with quote

Hi all and thanks in advance.

I have read simular messages about this but nothing is like my problem.

I have been using my Ipaq and tomtom3 for ages but now I am having a problem.

I have an Ipaq 3970 256Mb memory card
tomtom3
Holux 210 Mouse (stuck outside on the car roof and plugged into the lighter socket and also into my Ipaq)
(the red light is on so it is getting power, and the orange light on my Ipaq is blinking so that is getting power as well)

I use tomtom quite a lot and most times it logs on, and other times it might take 10 mins to log on (but it did log on).

Just recently I have had it on for about 2 or so hours and all I get is the UNRELIABLE message.

If I go into the " Configure GPS " on my Ipaq, I can see six or seven satalites with numbers and with a good strong signal so the mouse and my Ipaq must be talking to each other.

It is set to COM 1

What can I do to sort it out ?? it is very frustrating as I am using it for work to make deliveries.

I just seem to be going around in circles.

BIG HELP PLEASE........
droflas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Satalites greyed out not coloured ??? Reply with quote

Just thought of something...

When I said that there are satalites showing, they are showing but they are greyed out and I think that they are red ??? when they are actually talking to the Ipaq properly ???

Not sure but I think I am write ???

Regards.

Droflas
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greyed out bars in the GPS screen suggests that the GPS receiver is not getting a proper fix. However, if it's stuck outside the car then it should easily obtain a 3D fix (where you should see red bars in the GPS status screen).

It sounds like a faulty receiver. Try borrowing another receiver and attach to your set up and see if you get the same results.
padpad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does mounting outside the car fix inaccurate map plotting ? My GPS reciver is out by about 50 ft .... only ever had it inside the car though.,..
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the supplied external antenna with my Mio168 & Memory Map improved the accuracy (used to use it in my shirt breast pocked so fold down antenna was facing forward rather that toward the sky). In the car it is normally used with Tomtom which locks to nearest road so most errors don't affect display.

Have used Memory Map with the road map and errors were only slight (track on wrong side of road or just off road) but again the flip up antenna was facing forward and not to the sky.

Provided the antenna is aimed towards the sky then (unless you are down in the valley or in town [high buildings!]) and singnal is not reduced due to car windscreen there should be no major problems with accuracy.
notorious19
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same kind of problem with my toshiba e350 and tomtom3, used to take quite a while to get a fix,sometimes turning my pocket pc off and back on or turning car off then on sometimes solved it dunno if that will help,but i got fed up of it taking to long so got a tomtom one this week,

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: