Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS driver 2.08 is out
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS driver 2.08 is out
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pawlo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: GPS driver 2.08 is out Reply with quote

Hi Russ. Ha! I'm the same which probably explains why I'm so finiky when things don't work properly.

The fact that I am a professional electronis systems design engineer doesn't help either. I can't live with a fix that I don't fully understand. Bring back DOS anyday!!!!

There does seem to be a problem with iPAQ devices though reading through the Forum and when you buy a piece of expensive software, it should install without irritations. I suspect that TomTom are not entirely blame free either - but thanks for your advice.
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: GPS driver 2.08 is out Reply with quote

I'm having no probs with 2.07 on my 5450 apart from one time when it seemed to change the com port to a non Bluetooth type by it's own decision. These damn PDA's are getting too clever for their own good in my opinion. Now they're even thinking for me!
Samali
Regular Visitor

Hi Hornist, I had this prob. too. In fact you need to de-install the old verson 2.07 before, then install the new one 2.08. For me it worked fin on my Ipaq 2210.

Cheers
TTN-3
CF 1Gb & SD 1Gb
hornist
Regular Visitor

I've tried installing 2.08 (on an iPAQ 5550) and the installation fails with the error message "The file "\Windows\ttbtdev.dll" is in use or is in ROM. If the file is not in ROM, please close the application using the file." This happens even if I do the install immediately after a soft reboot.

I had previously successfully installed 2.07.

On a quick look the GPS bluetooth link seems to be working OK, though TTN2 seems to be running unusually slowly.

How do I tell what version of the GPS driver it thinks it is using?

Paul
aero
Regular Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by lbendlin on 02 September 2003

Anyone brave enough to test it? You can get 2.08 here

Laughing Out Loud!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

Well spotted bonze. Indeed TomTom have released version 2.08, specifically to fix the iPAQ issues with BlueTooth.

I]GPS version 2.08 fixes an issue in Windows Mobile 2003 running on iPAQ's where the iPAQ cannot be switched on after switching it off whilst a Bluetooth connection is open with Bluetooth GPS receivers.

Anyone brave enough to test it? You can get 2.08 here

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
bonze
Occasional Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 24 August 2003

TomTom seem to be in a state of flux at the moment. The main GPS Version page still shows TomTom Navigator 2.24 and GPS Driver 2.06 but the GPS page shows GPS Driver 2.07.

and now magically 2.07 & 2.08
pawlo
Occasional Visitor

After problems with 2.07 I removed it - leaving what I thought was the previosu version. The funny thing is that my GPD stsus screen still shows that I have 2.07 installed!!!

The querstion is have I or haven't I? Does anyone possibly know how to find out for sure?
Royalty
Regular Visitor

I had the same problem after 2.07 in that the BT GPS didn't work. Then found that it had defaulted back to on the connection dropdown to Serial Port and type something else other than TT Wireless GPS?? Once I changed this to BT Com Port the right GPS type it worked a treat. Since then I have not seen any lock-up at all of my iPAQ2210 which is great!

www.backtheboys.com
ekapco
Occasional Visitor

Check it out !!

http://www.tomtom.com/support/ce/support/gps.php

russgunn
Regular Visitor

If I were you Paul I'd do a hard reset and start again with your old copy. I personally can't stand bits and pieces of old software, drivers and dll's hanging around waiting to mess up my PDA when I least expect it. But then I am a bit anal!
pawlo
Occasional Visitor

2.07 saga update: I unzipped the 2.07 download and installed 2.07 on my hp iPAQ 5550 (running the 2003 OS) only to find that there was no data communication whatsoever between my bluetooth gps receiver and my iPAQ PDA. From previous experiences with thw TomTom navigation software, I tried to reinstall 2.07 again. I got all the usual questions like 'gps is already installed. Do you want to reinstall it? - to which I replied YES.

However, I then got the following error message on my iPAQ:

"\windows\ttbtdev.dll is in use or in ROM. If the file is not in ROM please close the application using the file"

This seems like complete gobbledegook to me! I didn't have any applications whatsoever running and therefore there seemed to be no way out of this mess!!!

As a last resort, I deinstalled 2.07 (which is shown as TomTom ~ GPS) and the whole system is now working perfectly again.

However, even though I have deinstalled the 2.07 update, the gps status screen on my iPAQ still shows v2.07 whereas before the installation and deinstallation it showed v2.06!

Needless to say, TomTom are not exactly my best friend at the moment and in my view this is very poor. I wonder if anyone else has experienced similar problems (and can maybe offer any explanation/remedy!).

By the way, when you unzip the 2.07 download, two seperate folders are created on your PC and they BOTH have (different) setup.exe files within them. The obvious question is which one should you run to install the upgrade? I tried both and neither of them installed an upgrade that worked!

What a mess!!!!
pawlo
Occasional Visitor

Thanks mark. I missed that! I've just installed 2.07 and am now getting no communication between my GPS receiver and my PPC! Curiously though, unlike bonze, I still only have one GPS icon after installing 2.07 over the top and 2.07 shown on the GPS status screen - but no there is no data being received - even though the bluetooth connection (in the status view) is showing good signal strength!

What a mess. I wish I could get rid of 2.07 and go back to 2.06. At least that worked!
nissemus
Occasional Visitor

This is from the Help file on the TomTom CD:

Tap the checkmark to change your GPS receiver model and the communication port of your Pocket PC to which the GPS receiver is connected. Use the slider buttons to keep the Pocket PC powered up as long as it is connected to the GPS receiver (and TomTom Navigator is active) and to get a sound signal when the GPS receiver has proper coverage.

Mark
pawlo
Occasional Visitor

Yes, I noticed the confusion regarding v2.07 of Tomtom's latest GPS software - but can confirm that I have experienced the symptoms described with 2.06 and the hp iPAQ5550.

Does anyone happen to know what the two horizontal sliders are for on the GPS status screen? I can't find any reference to this anywhere? Also, what is the big ticked checkbox for on the same screen? Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: