Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Plus - GPRS Data volumes?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Plus - GPRS Data volumes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: TomTom Plus - GPRS Data volumes? Reply with quote

I've just bought a TT One and it's great. I'm thinking of trying the free TomTom Plus Traffic/weather service - it uses Bluetooth to connect to your phone, then using GPRS it gets the info from the internet.

I've just checked with Vodafone corporate what the cost for GPRS is, and it is £2.35 per Mb of data downloaded.

So the big question is, does anyone know how much data is downloaded to the device each time you use TT Plus to get a traffic update ? I need to know if this will cost a lot in call charges.

Also - a friend has asked whether he can use his Blackberry as a GPRS device to connect to TT Plus?

Help much appreciated !

Dave.
smytho
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read an article somewhere (can't remeber where) recently about this.

I am sure it said the downloads were only about 20k max so cost wise it is not very expensive.

smytho
DaveB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - can anyone else confirm this ?
DaveB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it ! It is very cheap - 0.9Mb per month will cost about £2 per month - well worth it.

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&query=gprs&FID=1576

Has anyone tried the TomTom Plus Traffic service?

Dave.
PeteD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Traffic for four months. Despite some of the opinion in other threads, I think it's excellent. It's not 100% accurate 100% of the time but during this extended period of use I've found it to be right more times than it's been wrong and it has saved me a lot of time and delay.

I use the M1 south of Leicester (or A43/M40) and M25 west of London a lot and it seems to be in tune with what is going on there most of the time. On average I spend about four hours each working day in the car.

I have an old SE T68i with a Vodafone PAYG SIM that I use solely for linking to the TomTom - no voice calls or text messages ever on this phone - only GPRS to TomTom Plus so any charges relate to TomTom Traffic. I put £35 credit on the SIM at the start of August when I subscribed to Traffic and currently have £26.30 left. So it is costing me approx £2.20 per month in call charges. That's with it set to update automatically every ten minutes.

So along with the subscription to the TomTom Traffic service included, the total cost per month seems to be around £5.50.

YMMV - literally!
DaveB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete. Now you've given me an idea!

I have an old Nokia 6310i (great phone) which is on Vodafone. I could buy a Vodafone Pay as You Go SIM for it and use that purely for TT Traffic.

Can I just buy a SIM off, say, eBay for £0.99 and use it? Do I need to somehow enable the GPRS bit ?

Thanks

Dave
Falkien
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI
if you go over to www.simalert.com and register they'll send you a text message when free PAYG SIM offers are announced - I've got several free PAYG SIMs for various people that way

HTH

Dave
PeteD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I bought my SIM from a Vodafone shop, but I'm sure you can get them much cheaper elsewhere. I then phoned Vodafone help and told them I needed to access the Internet via GPRS on PAYG. They enabled my number to do this. It took a few hours for it to become active.

When you are configuring your TTG internet connection do it manually with the following settings

APN - pp.vodafone.co.uk
Username - user
Password - user

Use automatic DNS, IP address and leave everything else as it is.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: