Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 5 PocketPC v5.21 and PalmPC v5.201 Updates Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 5 PocketPC v5.21 and PalmPC v5.201 Updates Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, why do so many people prefer the "landscape" mode? Sat nav is one of the very few applications that screams to me that it needs portrait. The map is "track up" in Garmin speak and therefore in portrait you get to see more of where you're going and receive more visual "notice" of turns junctions, roundabouts, cameras etc, if the device is in portrait mode. For instance, as I drive up to a roundabout, I like to visually see which exit i'm going to need as often tomtom's voice directions are confusing or simply incorrect (there's a roundabout near me where the screen is correct but the voice guide says "take the 4th exit, when there are only 4 exits - meaning I would make a U-turn if I actually took notice of the voice instructions!).

In landscape, most of the detail is to the sides - which I would have thought is irrelevant for the 99% of the time you're not turning.
joni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If windscreen mounted, landscape obscures less vision. The route details are also much easier to read.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually there has been some research on this subject. Whilst 'Portrait' is technically a superior format allowing more of the route ahead to be displayed, the reason we prefer 'Landscape' is because that is how our eyes work with more vision laterally i.e. the human eyes operate in Landscape format and hence we tend to prefer that layout.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutley great i wasn't expecting this till i came back from holiday next year
gpssparky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Customised warning sounds, will they still work ? Reply with quote

Willr2d2 wrote:
Will the customised POI warning sounds still work if I install the Navigator 5.2 update on my PPC ?

If they don't should I use the same data.chk file after the update ?

Just installed and custom poi warnings were overwriteen. Back to bells and whistles!
Confused

-----------
Tomtom Go 540 Live - That's it.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to use portrait mode. As NickG says, you are running an application with track/head up and thus get more advanced warning with portrait than landscape. In fact I can’t stand landscape mode. I obviously don’t comply with the research findings.

I can understand joni’s statement about landscape mode obscuring less vision if you have a windscreen mount. However I use Brodit Pro Clip mounts, so that my PDA is level with the dashboard. I have recently tried a new (to me) windscreen mount for my iPAQ hx4700, which I always had in portrait mode, however I have a Land Rover which has a large front windscreen hence I have no loss of forward vision.

To throw even more things into the mix, I now always run TomTom Navigator 5 in 2D mode as opposed to 3D mode. I find it much easier to accurately check the position of cameras in our database.

I think that it’s a fair assumption that everybody’s requirements are different and that as long as their set-up works for them, then that is all that matters! Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody noticed that Tom Tom no longer support the PalmOne Treo 650 with this latest release?

I have installed the latest update 5.201 & it seems to be working so far.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Actually there has been some research on this subject. Whilst 'Portrait' is technically a superior format allowing more of the route ahead to be displayed, the reason we prefer 'Landscape' is because that is how our eyes work with more vision laterally i.e. the human eyes operate in Landscape format and hence we tend to prefer that layout.

I think that theory is only really true when the display you are looking at is quite big (eg a TV or a cinema screen) so that you're using your peripheral vision. When the screen is tiny, you would think that the only thing that matters is seeing more of the information you need to see, which in the case of sat-nav, is the road ahead and upcoming junctions or POIs. Imagine if you exaggerated it so that the display was cinema format - it would be useless.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
I prefer to use portrait mode. I obviously don’t comply with the research findings.

I'm pretty sure the "research findings" were not testing tiny screens when used with sat-nav. For watching TV or films, 16:9 widescreen or even cinema format is ideal.

Don't forget that the bit of your eye which is actually capable of seeing high-detail (such as text or a map) is CIRCULAR and is a tiny fraction of the total area of your retina. Therefore the optimal screen shape for high detail is be circular or square... This is according to my HCI lecturer that is - I'm not just making it up Smile
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *REALLY* wish they would merge Tomtom Navigator 5 and Tomtom Mobile 5. They are becoming more and more alike and TTN5 now works on several "phones".

It's really annoying that you have to have two licenses if you want to use both products. I'm pretty sure there is no longer a technical or marketing reason to seperate the two.

Perhaps some of the PGPSW crew who have more influence could try to pursuade TT to merge the two products so that it simply installs the correct version when it detects your device. (obviously more than one activation would be required, but I don't see why that should be a problem as if I've paid for a product, it should be up to me how many devices I install it on within reason).

Nick....
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
I *REALLY* wish they would merge Tomtom Navigator 5 and Tomtom Mobile 5. They are becoming more and more alike and TTN5 now works on several "phones".

It's really annoying that you have to have two licenses if you want to use both products. I'm pretty sure there is no longer a technical or marketing reason to seperate the two.

Perhaps some of the PGPSW crew who have more influence could try to pursuade TT to merge the two products so that it simply installs the correct version when it detects your device. (obviously more than one activation would be required, but I don't see why that should be a problem as if I've paid for a product, it should be up to me how many devices I install it on within reason).

Nick....

You can currently have more than one device activated - I have ttn 5.xx on both my Treo 650 & T3 Palms', as I had problems with my Treo when I first started using it, so they activated my T3 for me. Now they don't support the Treo anymore Crying or Very sad

You can change every 6 months & within the first 7 or 14 days I believe.
RobT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think you can see as far ahead in landscape, it seems to zoom out slightly more. Could be my imagination though ;)

Horses for courses though!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Customised warning sounds, will they still work ? Reply with quote

gpssparky wrote:
Willr2d2 wrote:
Will the customised POI warning sounds still work if I install the Navigator 5.2 update on my PPC ?

If they don't should I use the same data.chk file after the update ?

Just installed and custom poi warnings were overwriteen. Back to bells and whistles!
Confused

We have an updated data.chk available on the www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-poi-alerts.php page

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobT wrote:
I actually think you can see as far ahead in landscape, it seems to zoom out slightly more. Could be my imagination though ;)

Horses for courses though!

I can see no more information or map on the Palm T3 in landscape or portrait mode, or even when it isn't extended. My Treo 650 shows the same information, but an a smaller screen.

The landscape screen just makes everything wider, portrait taller & the Treo, smaller!
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to zoom out to accommodate it... but as it's zooming out, you are seeing less information. The resolution of the bit you need to see is lower because it is showing you more stuff at the sides that you don't need to see.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: