Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CWSN-1000 as sold on Amazon?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CWSN-1000 as sold on Amazon?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emsef
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took it for a test drive tonight and the postcode handling (5 digit) got me lost.

I wanted to enter N1 8(NX) but it interpreted it as N18 and drive me towards Tottenham rather than Islington. I'm also starting to notice slight annoyances in the software - basic user interface rules that are not adhered to such as buttons that do the same thing moving from screen to screen.

How/why is TomTom rated so highly when it only has this Teleatlas data to work with?

As for me: we'll see what happens.
matt
cider22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get maps of America for this GPS? and if so where from?
Hoover
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just ordered mine from Amazon - does anyone know if you can use the safety camera database with this system? Thanks
emsef
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cider22 wrote:
Can you get maps of America for this GPS? and if so where from?

Not as far as I am aware, that is my main problem with the unit - lack of support.

Here's my Amazon review. I've booked mine in to be collected for return tomorrow.

For Amazon.co.uk, I wrote:
I placed an order for this a couple of weeks ago, and finally received it at the a few days ago. I expect there are a lot of customers in the same position as myself - owners of a fantastic new type of gadget, but wondering what all the fuss is about. Similar units are being sold in Argos and at Sainsbury's but they are lower spec and higher price than this one, so this is a bargain. But what exactly do you get for your money...?

First some bad points about this unit Sad

1. The TeleAtlas map coverage is NOT of the complete UK. It could possibly be described as covering Great Britain, but even then there are places in GB it does not cover. Treen, in Cornwall, is on the map but not in the database and Northern Ireland is woefully empty whilst the rest of Ireland is non-existant. The map data used is the same as that used by the TomTom GO, whatever that should mean. Regardless, this is false advertising by Amazon, C&W and TeleAtlas - I expect the later. Maps are also not provided on CD as backup. I'd like to buy "full" European maps but there is no way for me to even know where to begin looking for leads on that.

2. The POI date (points of interest) are displayed over the map, even in areas such as N. Ireland that are not covered. The AA Guide data is integrated, but only from guide to map. So to find out what an AA item is from the map means lengthy manual searching through the guide screens.

3. Post code entry is broken. In my instance, this means that N1 8?? (as the device does not allow full post code entry) is found to be Tottenham (N18) rather than Islington (N1 space 8). That one got me lost for 45 minutes. N1 is not found in the database, to sort of get it you have to enter N1 space 0 which is also confused with N10 (Muswell Hill). There is a one sheet addendum to the manual stating that you should "enter the town and street name instead". If only I knew them. House numbers are not available for all roads.

4. In my experience, in London, the external aerial is required at all times.

5. The software has an inconsistent user interface, meaning buttons that do the same thing appear at different places on screen from one section to another. Examples: backspace, alphanumeric switching. The software also has no way of entering apostrophes. The unit slows down slightly when displaying the map in 3D mode. Female voice is not switchable to male and is not available in any other language than English.

6. The CF card with the map data on it is only removable using the supplied "tool" (read: a peice of metal) which is very bad product design. Build quality is average.

7. The enclosed USB lead is noted - in the badly written manual - as being for "future applications". The device does not mount when connected to a computer, which makes me wonder how on earth the device will be capable of any future applications if there is no way to copy data onto it.

8. Customer Service and telephone help is almost non existent. I was passed from Alba Plc (manufacturers of the unit) who were quite helpful but not responsible to a company called Key Electronics (the official designated helpline) whose policy seems to be: answer the phone after fifteen minutes and then offer to call back but then never actually do so.

Which brings me to my main concern about this unit: after sales support. I expect the post code and software quirks could be fixed in a firmware update. The maps can perhaps be updated, too. But from my experience of several phone calls to everybody concerned this does not seem anywhere close to happening. The people I spoke to are not even aware of such procedures, not is there a support website. The unit is less expensive than competitors but I do not expect to have to give up my rights to adequate support because of that.

Now, the good points Smile

1. Software features are generally quite good, apart from the issues raised above. They've obviously tried to mimic the functionality of a TomTom GO and succeeded in all the obvious ways. It has touch screen and diversion capability. The ability to ignore next command and create a diversion could help in circumstances of road works/traffic jam etc. Simulation mode is also useful for planning a route without GPS signal. 3D/2D map display may help some users. It gives warning of a turn and then reminds you of the turn again as you should do it. Multiple stop over works well.

Shame about the finer details of interface usability, really.

2. Touch screen. For this price, getting a touch screen is great. It works well and it's 3.5" so very large compared to the units from Garmin. Visibility and clarity of image and colour are good.

3. Speaker volume is good, voice is spoken clearly.

So, it's up to you whether you buy one of these. I am pretty sure I shall be returning mine. For this amount of money I expect a product with good customer support and a future in terms of software and map updates.
emsef
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoover wrote:
I've just ordered mine from Amazon - does anyone know if you can use the safety camera database with this system? Thanks

Not as far as I am aware. It uses a different POI file format.

matt
rolfd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought this wee device, and have used it for about 5 days now.

I'm in Northern Ireland, and I have to say that the maps are really poor. I used it to navigate me from my home in Lisburn to Armagh, it was going to try and take me via Belfast, which is a different direction completely! Map for lisburn doesnt even have my home address in it. And some big local towns such as Portrush, Newcastle, Keady aren't even in the search menu.

So Now I've got all that off my chest, can anyone tell me what software I need to upload new maps to this device, and where I can find maps?

I'd return it, but bought it from argos and was told it can't be returned unless faulty, so short of ebaying it, im stuck!

Thanks for any help,

Rolf
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rolfd wrote:
I've just bought this wee device, and have used it for about 5 days now.

I'm in Northern Ireland, and I have to say that the maps are really poor. I used it to navigate me from my home in Lisburn to Armagh, it was going to try and take me via Belfast, which is a different direction completely! Map for lisburn doesnt even have my home address in it. And some big local towns such as Portrush, Newcastle, Keady aren't even in the search menu.

So Now I've got all that off my chest, can anyone tell me what software I need to upload new maps to this device, and where I can find maps?

I'd return it, but bought it from argos and was told it can't be returned unless faulty, so short of ebaying it, im stuck!

Thanks for any help,

Rolf

I would expect that Argos would in fact allow you to return it if the product isn't as advertised. (i.e. FULL COVERAGE OF IRELAND). Particularly as you presumably purchased in N. Ireland and could therefore reasonably expect it to work there!

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
emsef
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way to upgrade the maps or software, so I deem that as "faulty"

Return it. I returned mine via Amazon - right hassle!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest navteqs arent that good either i havent used them in ireland but looking a my cp6 desktop once you get out of the citys them its farly sparse ie drogheda the coverage is only main road and some unnamed roads 2 kells show 11 roads and thats it not sure if thats right but thats all i can see

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
rolfd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
to be honest navteqs arent that good either i havent used them in ireland but looking a my cp6 desktop once you get out of the citys them its farly sparse ie drogheda the coverage is only main road and some unnamed roads 2 kells show 11 roads and thats it not sure if thats right but thats all i can see

It seems that Northern Ireland is really an afterthought for GPS devices, and mapping. I was able to return the CW device to argos, and then bought a navman iCN 520. The maps in it were teleatlas and worse than the first device I bought.

I've settled for a TomTom GO 300. Again its got teleatlas mapping, and poor coverage of NI, but its a nice device to use, and customisable.

Pity that the mapping for here is so poor, I'm sure they would sell more GPS devices if they actually worked well!!
olden231
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this up from the past, does anyone know if any of the up to date tele atlas maps are compatable with this unit.
thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: