Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT5 or CP6?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT5 or CP6?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lskb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: TT5 or CP6? Reply with quote

With apologies, but I am about to buy sat nav software for use with a bluetooth pda in the UK. I have looked closely at the forums, but can't really decide between Tom Tom 5 and Co-Pilot 6. I note that there seem to be many more TT5 users but am not sure whether this is better marketing or a well informed user base.

Anyhow, my question is simply which one should I get? I appreciate that there will be some things that one does better than the other - but I guess I am really asking is the answer obvious?? [There seems to be a lot of bitterness on the Co-pilot Board about ALK, so maybe the answer is obvious...]

Many thanks

Chris
lskb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - a little short on detail however?
Any other views?
Many thanks
Chris
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately (for you) CoPilot 6 has only just been released. So there aren't that many different users posting here.

Yes there have been a lot of negative comments about CoPilot 5 (the previous version), and from the initial postings it looks as if it is a great improvement.

From what I have read on the forums (and from users I know personally) all is not well with TomTom 5 - it has issues itself.

Also when reading the comments try to read through them, for example one of the problems with CoPilot 5 is the late implementation of the 'Traffic' function, which absolutely infuriated some forum members. But as a user who does not have hardware suitable for that function - it didn't cause me any problems.

Likewise there are other problems (with both TomTom and CoPilot) which you might well decide are not a problem for you. Better to have a product with 10 problems with only 2 having any impact on you, than one with 3, but all affecting you.
lskb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I appreciate that the question is not straightforward. Is anyone able to explain why there appear to be so many more tom tom pocket pc users?
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lskb wrote:
Is anyone able to explain why there appear to be so many more tom tom pocket pc users?

Part of the reason might just be that they have been in the business the longest. I have been using their routefinding software (first on a Psion 3 pre GPS) for a long time as the company and their routefinding software products have gone through several name changes. But, after recent experience with both CoPilot 5 and TomTom Navigator 5 on the same hardware, I personally prefer TTN5.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lskb wrote:
Is anyone able to explain why there appear to be so many more tom tom pocket pc users?

In my opinion it is down to marketing. In many ways, and for the majority of people, they are very similar, users often preferring the product they used first and/or have got used to.

Tom Tom also has a much wider range of own brand products and dedicated SatNav equipment.

Having used products from both ALK (CoPilot 5) and TomTom (Navigator v3) I can certainly say that the TomTom product impressed me the most initially - it just looks so much better; but it was CoPilot which I ended up buying, and will now stay with unless there is a very good reason for me to change.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: