Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - copilot 6 first gripes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

copilot 6 first gripes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drudeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: copilot 6 first gripes Reply with quote

hi
1. No qwerty keyboard option on hx4700 (same with all pda's??), how bad is that!

2.Full Postcodes? well mine isnt in, and i live in a 'normal' suburban area'

3.A bit lost in brum today, didn't know exact address, and city centre bus area mapping still out of date, i had to switch to tt5 to study map as i was driving as it works so much better as a Map in these situations

4. rubbish 'alternative route' option

5. wish there was something to change the colour easily and thickness of roads drawn etc, without having to do serious cfg editing, it looks crap compared to tt5 on vga

6. rubbish redrawing as you move

A feature i do like about copilot 5/6 is the different view options in navigation, eg. destination, next turn etc.
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s disappointing your postcode wasn’t in their hopefully they will bring an update out to rectify that
barking_mad_mark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: copilot 6 first gripes Reply with quote

Hi,

Quote:
2.Full Postcodes? well mine isnt in, and i live in a 'normal' suburban area'

Are you sure that you are using postcodes via the postcode button?? as apposed to via the 'address' button. You only seem to get full postcode support if you go specifically via the 'postcode' button.

Mark
GregW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuel cost calculator bugs me. It asks for cost per gallon - when was the last time anyone in the UK got charged by the gallon?
I want it to allow me to select the units, and mix paying in litres with miles per gallon, and let the software work out the numbers.

Yeah, I know it's a minor gripe, but little usability things like this just get my goat.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GregW

GregW wrote:
The fuel cost calculator bugs me. It asks for cost per gallon - when was the last time anyone in the UK got charged by the gallon?
I want it to allow me to select the units, and mix paying in litres with miles per gallon, and let the software work out the numbers.

I've not see CoPilot 6 yet, but out of interest (and because ALK is an American company) does it work in US gallons, Imperial gallons, or both?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
GregW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it matters, as long as you are consistent.

There are just two numbers you enter - price per gallon, and miles per gallon. I assume it just divides the total trip distance by the MPG, and multiplies by the price. So whether US or Imperial will not matter.

On the Options menu, you can change from English to Metric units, but when I did that the cost calculator still worked in miles and gallons. That is really rubbish, when you think about it, and surely will work against European (and Irish?) users.
GregW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cancel that last point - the cost calculate does catch up and go to metric values (litres & km/l), but it is not immediate. Not sure what triggered the change - maybe a new route.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregW wrote:
surely will work against European (and Irish?) users.

Ireland switched over to kilometers in Jan 2005 so the British are now alone in Europe in persisting with miles (bizzarely they require metric measures for most other things).
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
GregW wrote:
surely will work against European (and Irish?) users.

Ireland switched over to kilometers in Jan 2005 so the British are now alone in Europe in persisting with miles (bizzarely they require metric measures for most other things).

I would argue that we've had metric measurements forced upon us, as opposed to our requiring it.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
I would argue that we've had metric measurements forced upon us, as opposed to our requiring it.

Just like decimal currency, eh! Wink
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the gallons is in imperial as so much else has been adapted.

The us Pint is only 16 ounces as opposed to the UK pint of 20 ounces. This of course makes american cars apparently even more uneconomic than they are.
amc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my upgrade to version 6.
I tested it using my contact list (all have valid postcodes streetmap and multimap get them right), however CoPilot 6 only finds 50% and most of these are find the wrong location.
I have noticed that postcodes in major towns seem more accurate. CoPilot still can't tell you which side of the road the address is (Iam told TomTom can)!!!
Very disappointed with it.
GregW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a post code has any reference within it to the side of the road. A full postcode simply groups up to 80 different addresses together, at least according to the Royal Mail website.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes different sides of the street have diferent postcodes (my street for example). In this case TomTom can distinguish which side of the road the address is on. I expect CoPilot will too, but as I haven't got my copy yet, I can't confirm
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to knowing which side of the street, it depends very much on how many postcodes are allocated to a street.

If a street has (for example) 2 postcodes, one is usually allocated to the odd numbers and the other for the even numbers.

Since postcodes are allocated to ease post delivery, they are allocated to assist the postman. On a through street, one side of the street may not be delivered straight after the other side, (based on the most efficient way of walking the whole delivery round), so each side of the street would have differrent postcodes. On recent developments, the use of Cul-de-Sacs is more the norm, so since the postman will usually just walk up the street then down the other side, there is no need to allocate differrent codes.

The comment about a maximum number of properties per postcode still applies, although I can't confirm the actual number. I do know that there is also a 'volume of mail' aspect to it - so where there are businesses involved, the number will be less. in the case of a business receiving mail by the sackload - it is more likely for them to have their own postcode simply because it is more efficient for the Post Office to do so.

Although Post Codes are used in so many ways today, we have to remember that they were 'invented' to help the mail to be sorted for more efficient delivery. And that it is still the Post Office who allocates them.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: