Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help please Tom Tom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help please Tom Tom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stillo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Help please Tom Tom Reply with quote

Could anyone please help me the problem is on wednesday i tried to plan a route to leek in staffordshire and it took almost 30 mins to do so i had left leeds before it planned the route. On saturday we decided to go to chester zoo and once again it took almost 30 mins did'nt have a clue which direction i was going in planned a route back to leek from chester zoo in less than 1 minute.

Todaty Sunday tried to plan a route back to leeds at approx 9.50 am and actually got the route at 10.45 tom tom kept going back to calculating route i was at manchester before i got my route i dont think sitting waiting for a route for almost an hour is acceptable and following any route if you are going in the wrong direction is not acceptable also so can you plan a route while you are on the move or do you have to be stationary i think if i was stationary i would still be waiting for the route at this time i would be eternally greatful for any assistance
RichDem
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Help please Tom Tom Reply with quote

Are you running an Ipaq, if so what Rom version are you running, if ou are running a 3950 / 3970 with the latest rom then you will have to install the SD driver update posted on Compaq's website.

Hope this helps,

Richard
Stillo
Occasional Visitor

RichDem m8 how do i find out which rom version i am using .

Cheers Stillo
clivers
Regular Visitor

do a soft reset stylus up the bottom and look on the red and white compaq screen. hopefully it should say 2.10 i think on the bottom right
Stillo
Occasional Visitor

Done that it says 110 does that meen i have to update the rom and use sd card fix to get tom tom to work ok.

Cheers Stillo
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

You're using a 3950 or 3955.

I've given a fuller reply to this scenario in this thread, but the suggested upgrade path from ROM 1.10 is this.

Copy all important data to another location - that includes the contents of \My Documents. Do not use backup software to achieve this (or ActiveSync's backup feature).

Upgrade the ROM to 1.11 - including the hard reset suggested.

Download the version of the SD driver update for the non-Bluetooth 3900 series models and apply that.

Put everything else back with a new partnership (you can delete the old one, which is now useless, using File -> Delete Partnership in ActiveSync). Do not restore a backup (though, if using iPAQ Backup / Pocket Backup, you could probably get away with just restoring individual files from My Documents - but restoring the Registry in particular is not recommended).

If you were using the CPU speed patch for 1.10, it's not necessary in 1.11. If you weren't using it, your iPAQ would have been reduced to 300MHz most of the time! (1.11 was re-issue of 1.10 with the CPU speed issue addressed).

For a 3950 running Pocket PC 2002, you can get the ROM upgrade and the SD driver fix from HP's web site here. Read and follow the instructions carefully, particularly for the ROM upgrade.

David
Stillo
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Davidw but i am not all that up on these ppc's iunderstand that i will have to do a hard reset after updating rom but could you please tell me how to do the hard reset i have searched all my documentation and i can find no mention of how to do so thanks for your time and help.

Cheers Stillo
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Just follow the instructions with the ROM upgrade carefully - it walks you through the hard reset at the appropriate point (if I remember rightly, there's even a picture on your PC's screen showing you which buttons to press).

However, for reference, to hard reset a 3900 series iPAQ, you have to remove all external power (which includes expansion packs with batteries), then press and hold the first and fourth buttons (Calendar and iTask) whilst poking the reset hole with the stylus. You will see the screen fade out. Wait a few seconds, then, to wake the iPAQ up again, either poke the reset hole again or apply external power.

This is very different to a soft reset, which is equivalent to rebooting a PC. For that, you just poke the reset hole with the stylus.

David
Stillo
Occasional Visitor

Thanks very much for the help DavidW did as you said and i am well pleased with the results sorry for the late reply but for some reason could not get onto the site.

Cheers Stillo
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

I'm delighted it worked out for you - the improvement in speed (particularly if you weren't using the 1.10 CPU speed patch) should be worth the pain of the hard reset!

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: