Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Routing Problems with a 510 and then a 520
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Routing Problems with a 510 and then a 520

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
themoonismadeofbluecheese
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Routing Problems with a 510 and then a 520 Reply with quote

I bought a 510 in March this year, a month after purchase it kept crashing.
Halfords ( although they tried not to accept responsibility and said I should contact Navman - know your rights as a consumer! ) exchanged it for a 520 as they had none of the original 510 models in stock. Programming appeared to be better except for several anomolies.
The unit had a habit of telling me to turn left at junctions even though the route was straight ahead. This became worse when driving through Liverpool ( There is no significance in this! ) There was also very significant lag on the gps, I'd be past the junction before the map caught up, even with a full signal. I use gps when I am flying and the quality difference between my GARMIN and the NAVMAN was very apparent.
My other bug bear with the unit is that if MILES are selected as the measurement the unit will give distances in FEET. This is odd, I would have expected it to be in yards. Using KM in the UK is a waste of time.
Finally, the display will only show speed, distance etc individually and not in combination. A multiple display would be better.
Anyway, I finally had enough of turning left, took it back and exchanged it for a TOM TOM 700 ( the exchange went without a hitch though there was a little extra to pay. The TOM TOM does not fit in my pocket as well as the Navman BUT:
It has been like trading in a Fiesta for a Bentley!
m62-to-hull
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Exchanging - not Reply with quote

My experience has been different. My 510s my first venture into GPS and I'm well pleased - 12 months and 60k miles down the line. I'm so pleased I'm buying one for flying !
banger9365
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you must have been a lucky one with them took me a day to get my changed for a new one at hal*ords and yes i now my rights ,got a snotty young manager that only now's what he was told and that was not a lot
m62-to-hull
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: One of the places Reply with quote

Mm, perhaps Halfords was a bad move. Halfords & Dixons are two places I wouldn't buy much more than wax and batteries from. I have found them to border on immoral when it comes to after-sales ....the money's in their bank & they're ready to move onto the next customer.
One day all shops might be as easy as M&S !
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Halfords Reply with quote

When I first tried to exchange the 510 for a 520 ( the unit was faulty) the manager at Halfords tried to fob me off and told me it was up to Navman to deal with. They said I had to get an rma number from the manufacturers so that I could return it. When I contacted Navman they gave me the number of the distributor for the UK! The chap I spoke to was very helpful and said that HALFORDS WERE UP TO THEIR OLD TRICKS again. Just take it back and if there were problems he would sort it out with the Head Office. Went back into the store manager and explained what I had been told. He then became very helpful and exchanged the unit. The new 520 caused me headaches. I exchanged that for a TOM TOM 700 and paid a bit extra.
The Tom Tom is far superior, it has better scrolling ( it has a hard drive) on the moving map, is more accurate ( it actually shows my house where it is not 6 doors down ) has smoother and more accurate voice direction and has infinately better software. The only downside to the tom tom is size. The navman was easy to fit in my top pocket.
Although the Navman is a fairly good gps in general terms, if you try out a tt700 in comparison you will be surprised. It also has a complete european database (house to house). I ended up paying £180 extra (the navman cost me £399 in march this year). It was money worth spending. Had the navman been ok I probably would not have changed it and would not have know the differences. Try it and see
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: SPARE cradle and changer for the 520 Reply with quote

Anyone in cheshire wan a spare cradle and charger fo for the navman 520?
A fiver but you will have to collect!
Dilemma
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: SPARE cradle and changer for the 520 Reply with quote

themoonismadeofbluecheese wrote:
Anyone in cheshire wan a spare cradle and charger fo for the navman 520?
A fiver but you will have to collect!

Any chance you could sell beyond Cheshire, as the little clip that stops the 510 falling out the cradle on my wifes car is busted. I would obviously pay all postage costs. And a spare charger would be very useful.
pink
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I have recently brought a Nav 510 it great but I find that it leads me to places that do not exist once it lead me to a house that was ment to be a road stright on then a car park instead of a road . This is my first GPS it does get me about but I regret not getting the 520 looks like I will have to fork out another 99 quid to upgrade the softwhere .
m62-to-hull
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't spend anymore money on something you're not using right. Find out how to use it ...then spend the money ! If you struggle with the 510, you'll struggle with a 520 just as much.
Amsterdave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, i don't have anything to say, but the unusually long nickname of the last poster screwed up the topic list....

Cheerio!
Amsterdave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then of course, I didn't even just fix it because he is the topic starter, so it keeps screwin' up the topc list....

Never mind silly me! Embarassed

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: