Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom5 forgeting things
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom5 forgeting things
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DriveBy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
The ability to run Checkpoint or POIWarner is not available in TTG. We do have warnings, but they are distance related, not time.

There is an app that does a POI location in 2 taps of the screen (very useful).

It's also easier, I think, to load POI's on to a TTG (don't need ActivSynch).

The Maps are the same.

So which POI (camera) system would you guys use on the Go then, the warning system from TomTom themselves?

Given the fact that the distance can be varied on higher speed limit roads - that should not post a problem.

The only reason I feel I need to run two systems on TTN5.1 is because it has a nasty habit of "forgetting" the POI warnings loaded in memory.

I do hope that does not happen on GO.

I am just on the cusp of going out and buying one this weekend if I can be sure that they are more efficient or reliable than TTN 5.1 seems to be.

Now, do I GO get a GO 300 or a GO 500 ?............... Laughing
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DriveBy wrote:
So which POI (camera) system would you guys use on the Go then, the warning system from TomTom themselves?

The same as TTN5. I don't use TT's own, but those from this site, as does most users.
DriveBy wrote:
The only reason I feel I need to run two systems on TTN5.1 is because it has a nasty habit of "forgetting" the POI warnings loaded in memory.

I do hope that does not happen on GO.

That doesn't seem to be a problem generally with TTG's.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Skids
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed TomTom about losing favourites and speed camera settings and they suggested it could be the speed of the SD card. They recommend at least a 10Mb a sec one.

I have to say though that I don't think the supplied sd card is a high speed one!
gb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, I am experiencing the same problem.

However the recommended fix in post 2 is not viable.

I have a Great_Britain_Plus-Map.cfg file which is not set to 'Read Only'.

Anyone come across any other fixes?

Why is my config file different to others?

lee
Skids
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After constantly nagging TomTom about their lack of support I managed to get this information:

I have consulted our PDA expert and he has suggested that you copy all the files on your sd card to your computer, and delete from this back-up the 2 files ending in .cfg and .mac from the mapfolder of this backup. Delete (format) all the items on your card (this will be easier if you have a card reader), and place all the files without these 2 files back onto the sd card. This does mean that you will lose your favourites once more, except that when you set them back up, you will not lose them again. We hope this solves your problem satisfactorily.

I am trying it now and will let you know the results.

Skids
phinea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Variant on the losr Home and Last Visited Reply with quote

Hi,

Just got hit by this one! But also TT thinks I am in Holland somewhere (admittedly when in the cradle with no GPS). Lost all entries in Last Visited and Home location (I don't use favourites)

I've tried the rename of the cfg file - to no avail. Attributes are not read-only.

This product has caused me nothing but grief since I installed it only about 2 weeks ago and I am getting pretty fed up with it.

What the hell can we - the good and patient folk that frequent and support this excellent forum - do to get Tomtom to bring their product up to serviceable quality?? I'm thinking of an official complaint to the Trading Standards office. Any other ideas? What about we just pressure them to release updates to the maps so that we can revert to TTN3 which was a pretty stable product with a much preferrable user interface?

AAArrgh!
rogbear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got hit with this on my i-Mate Jamin when planning a return journey home, everything was gone. Luckily I know my home address and postcode so that was easy.

The fix at the start of this thread didn't work, but, I have a backup of the relevant file doen about a week ago when I upgraded from an iPAQ 2210 to my JAMin.

I moved the "Great_Britain_Plus-Map.cfg" file across from my backup and all the favourited were restored.

I have now made a folder on my SD card called TT Config and placed a copy of the Great_Britain_Plus-Map.cfg in the folder, now if I lose my favourites it will just be a simple matter of using File Explorer to copy the file from the TT Config folder to the maps folder. Of course if I add new Favourites or Speed Camera stuff then I'll have to renew the file in TT Config but that's easy.

All this means that if I lose my Favourites ans Camera settings whilst out on the road I can easily get them back.

Hope this helps others with similar issues. Simply backup the Great_Britain_Plus-Map.cfg to another folder and I suggest don't put "TomTom" in the folder name as it seems that TpmTom will look in all folders with its name. Laughing
rogbear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way I'm using TomTom 5.21 so it look like all versions of TomTom 5.xx are affected.
iansmyles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Problems Saving Favs etc in TT5 Reply with quote

Hi All,

I too had problems losing favourites in TT5. A search of the TT5 CD provided a 'Read Me' which contained the following.

"Once you have installed tomtom 5 on your pocket pc, open the Great-Britain-Map folder, in this folder there is a file called Great-Britain-map.cfg

Rename this file to Great-Britain-map-2.cfg

The Great-Britain-Map folder is located here... Mobile Device\My Pocket PC\Storage Card\

(renaming this file will ensure that you can save your favourite addresses and your home address)"

It certainly worked for me.

Kind Regards

Ian M

Ian M

Mitac Mio168
Destnator PN
Tom Tom Navigator 5

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: