Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Navigator 2 Activation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Navigator 2 Activation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
planetc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TomTom Navigator 2 Activation Reply with quote

I'm waiting for a new battery to arrive for my 'new' toy, but in the meantime tomtom mailed with the activation code to get me running. This, I figured, I could test on mains power.

I held my breath because after the previous pigs ear I was convinced it would fail and request a fresh code because the machine has 'effectively' had several hard resets due to the battery failure. To my surprise it installed and ran without any further request, even for the current id? The only thing I did differently to the previous time was install as a guest machine from ActiveSync because I wanted to create an isolated backup, I set up a fresh partnership afterwards to create a further backup complete with applications installed.

The difference here from previous was that last time it reset, I deleted the original partnership and created a new one with the same name. Maybe this was what deleted the recognition of device somehow?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TomTom Navigator 2 Activation Reply with quote

Re backups, I tend to use StarTap+ (Tubu). Always used it back in the early days, backs up to \storage card the whole of the Pocket PC and puts it into a zip file. You can copy this onto your PC and open the zip and expand it, so I like it that it doesn't require a proprietry format, and when it backs up first time, it puts a standalone exe file on the \storage card, so if your battery goes flat and you lose everything, just goto \storage card in explorer and run the exe and it starts restoring everything back, soft reset it, and voila.

Clean and simple!
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

planetc,

Didn't mean to suggest you were seeing things, just that TT have got it wrong if a hard reset alters the device ID that they use. The fact is that the actual device ID that's part of the PPC does not change, but you could be right and TT may be creating their own. If they are they have missed the point of activation!
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

My problem is that Nav2 starts and crashes after the initial grey screen on a 3870. Here's TomTom's repsonse. Are they suggesting that it's an activation problem? Any one care to speculate?

Thanks

Thank your for your email

Please do the following :

Email to activation@tomtom.com includeling the following details;

Discribe the problem

Name:

Adress:

Phone:

Selling Point:

Product code :

Device id :

Navigator Country:

Our activation team will activate your productcode asap.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused in this matter

Regards,

TomTom Customer Services

planetc
Occasional Visitor

I'm no expert on activation Mark, but it definately gave a new machine id after hard reset, otherwise I would have been running with no problems. Maybe it is ttn's own generated id?
Bluecan
Occasional Visitor

Having read posts on possible problems with TTN2 I wonder what will happen if they have to distribute updates as they did with TTN1. Remember we are up to version 1.5.

Will they distribute it as a download on their website or will we have to send the CD back to them as before to cure the "Wales Problem".

If it is a download, how will that affect the activation?
Peter
Occasional Visitor

Activation problems seem to go from bad to worse. Having had no reply again from TT Support I tried reinstalling the software on my PDA again. Success. Then after about 10-12 applications of the software it asked me for an activation code. I cannot get one for another 4-days so I clicked on exit and the program opened up in Map mode and worked OK. Has happened again since with the same 'work around' appearing to work.

Anyone any idea what is happening please?

Peter
Peter
Occasional Visitor

I installed V2 over the original on my PDA and all went well for the first 24 hours or so and then the program refused to open (fatal error).

I ended up doing a hard reset of the PDA and re-installing TT Nav, Voices and GPS. Everything fired up and worked fine for about an hour when the software suddenly asked for an activation code!

ttcode.com says I have to wait another 5 days and so far - no response from TT Support.

Cannot really understand why this has arisen in the first place.

Finally - is it normal for the Device Code on the PDA screen to change every time it is switched on and waiting for an activation code?

Peter
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reassurance Mark R. I did type in the product code on the desktop. I was losing sleep over whether it was me being an idiot!

So back to TomTom then......
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

Which activation screen did you enter it in? If it was on the desktop during installation, then you did the right thing - it goes off and gets the activation code for you.

The purpose of ttcode is to provide codes if you installed without activating (eg if you had no internet connection at the time), or if you need to reinstal the software and the desktop/ppc does not remember the code (perhaps you could be installing from a different PC).

Frankly I have no problem with activation as a concept, but why on earth they have to make it so damn confusing I just don't know.

And planetc, there is no way a hard reset should change your device ID. Swapping the motherboard maybe, but not a hard reset. For that reason the process should be relatively easy - armed with the product code and device ID you should be able to retrieve the code at ttcode. If that's not working, then there is deffinately something wrong with their system.
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

Oh hells bells. I just realised that I entered the product code in the activation screen. I don't remember any part of the istallation process pointing me in the direction of ttcode.com. Maybe that's why Nav2 won't fire up?
planetc
Occasional Visitor

I tested it without wanting to, it doesn't work.

The code is no great pain, you can get it from www.ttcode.com but if the machine has had a hard reset it changes the hardware id and it is useless anyway.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

If it has been 7 days since your first activation, then you should then be able to reactivate. Also TomTom do suggest the code is stored locally on the PC you install from, so in theory if you try to reinstall from the same PC, it will transfer the activation code over providing you haven't wiped your ActiveSync directory (or changed the name of your ActiveSync connection after a hard reset). I'm not sure if this is the case as I haven't been able to test this yet (and not sure that I really want to).
planetc
Occasional Visitor

If you have a big problem and have to do a hard reset then this wipes out the activation code. Reactivation within seven days appears not to be possible so I contacted tomtom, first via their support form on the website, then by phone when I was told to email the details to them and they would activate my copy. This was some 3 hours ago and I have heard nothing.

Ironically my problem came about whilst trying to back up the entire machine using activesync, which corrupted everything so I could not run a single program.

My only hope is that they look upon this sort of problem sympathetically because if not then I have another 4 days before I can use the software, and will be seriously concerned if I have any more problems and have to reset again!!

PS ignore the signature for the time being......

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: