Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to charge iCN510
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to charge iCN510
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you bought it on Ebay, then! Has it ever worked? If so, we can resurrect the procedure before it failed to work. If it has never worked, do you have recourse to the seller?
scrivomcdivo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee pee, I have spoken to the seller and he has informed me that it worked without mains. The problem is not that severe, as I run it on the in-car mains and so, it isn't that much of a problem. It's just, if possible, I'd prefer to charge it at home and then run it without any leads in the car.

The seller on Ebay has offered me a refund for it, however as I only paid £120 for the item, I think I got a bargain anyway to be honest.

I don't know whether to open up the inside and see if any parts have come loose that possibly need soldering back on?????
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrivomcdivo wrote:
[color=red]
I don't know whether to open up the inside and see if any parts have come loose that possibly need soldering back on?????
[color]

Unless you are an expert, I would not try.

First check DRP's advice.

OK, so now we know that the unit will charge (ie from the 12v car charger). Also the power cable both for the 12v car lead and for the 240v Mains transformer lead are the same size and connect through the same connection - Right? Therefore, it seems likely that the transformer/lead/connecter may be at fault and not the iCN510.. If you have an Avo meter, you can check if the transformer is outputting the correct charging voltage. If you cannot do it go to a car spares shop and I am sure they will check it for you.

When you have the unit connected in the car, can you go to the Power Status? (Main Menu >Settings>More Settings>Hardware>Power Status) and check the state of the battery? If the unit has been charging in the car, it should show a full charge. Does it?
Dilemma
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not even contemplate a repair of the wall charger, they are switch mode units and are more than likely manufactured using surface mount technology, and you will struggle to repair.

If you are looking for a replacement charger, leave the overpriced Navman £28 one alone, and go for one of these instead:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/motorola-v220-c650-c550-350-original-100-mains-charger_W0QQitemZ5817883812QQcategoryZ20352QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It costs £6 including P&P and does the same job, as has the same connector and outputs 5.0v at 1 amp. Better still get two, and keep one at work.
Dilemma
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilemma wrote:
I would not even contemplate a repair of the wall charger, they are switch mode units and are more than likely manufactured using surface mount technology, and you will struggle to repair.

If you are looking for a replacement charger, leave the overpriced Navman £28 one alone, and go for one of these instead:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/motorola-v220-c650-c550-350-original-100-mains-charger_W0QQitemZ5817883812QQcategoryZ20352QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It costs £6 including P&P and does the same job, as has the same connector and outputs 5.0v at 1 amp. Better still get two, and keep one at work.

I am sorry but I have found out that this unit outputs 6.2v at 350ma, I regret this mis-information.
scrivomcdivo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mains charger is from the Navman website.

When I go to Options>Power Status, it says that the battery is "charging." Nonetheless, it does not state any sort of percentage etc.....just the fact that the battery is charging. 24 hours later and it still says the same thing with no percentage etc....
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrivomcdivo wrote:
My mains charger is from the Navman website.

When I go to Options>Power Status, it says that the battery is "charging." Nonetheless, it does not state any sort of percentage etc.....just the fact that the battery is charging. 24 hours later and it still says the same thing with no percentage etc....

Look on page 7 of your iCN510 Manual - if you don't have one you can download it from Navman site.

On your Navman, on the Power Satus screen you should see a progress bar showing the state of charge of the unit. When the battery is charging, the bar is Amber and when fully charged it is Green. It also shows two other Status indicators - one says External Power Status and the other Internal Backup Battery charge.

Do you have a Halfords near to you?? They say they are 'experts' in SatNav and sell this unit. Why not give them a visit and see what their opinion is?
scrivomcdivo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the info Gee-Pee.

For some bizarre reason, I don't have the progress bar on the 'Power Status' page. All I have is 'External Power Status = On' and 'Internal Backup Battery Charge = Charging.' However, there is no progress bar below this.

Halfords were unwilling to help as I was unable to produce any receipt.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sorry, but I'm stumped! Silly question, but this really is a Navman iCN510, isn't it? And does the software version agree with mine (below) - and finally, have you got the Service Patch 1 installed?

Go to http://www.navman-pcn.com/index.php?lmenu=Free+Downloads&PHPSESSID=05a1c7e038c2711364adbaa0efdb0526 and check.
scrivomcdivo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's a Navman icn510 (or so the case of the product says).

I'm thinking that I may be missing some patch of some sort and so I am going to look into that
filgreen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one thought for you, you only need to press the on/power button momentarily. If you press and hold or press for more than a split second it does not turn on.
larkshall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get the same symptoms using the car charger?, If you do this points do a duff lithium battery fitted to your device. If however it wprks as per spec on the car charger, then you have a duff mains charger.

You can buy one of these from Mitac Europe for 18.90 euros, (The actual satnav unit you have is a mitac digiwalker 168).

But I have a nasty feeling its the lithium cell itself.

As your device has no warranty etc, it should be possible for any service shop to supply and fit s new cell. (Not DIY job unless competent with soldering iron, and some knowledge of electronics)
scrivomcdivo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the info Larkshall.

From your advice, it does indeed sound like a duff battery

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: