Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Handheld GPSr's. How do *you* use them?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Handheld GPSr's. How do *you* use them?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbuser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Handheld GPSr's. How do *you* use them? Reply with quote

I'm slowly coming to a usage scenario I'd like to check out with the more
experienced users.
I'm talking about using a handheld GPSr, with limited map capability
as apposed to a topographical map, on foot or a bike, i.e. not
following the roads only. Take the example of a walk over the
more remote areas of Dartmoor.

As a boy scout we stand there, work out our position with sightings
and a map/compass, then pinpoint our position, work out the direction to the next
(way)point, then move on.

GPS takes out the 'work out our position', but (if I'm right) still leaves
the question 'where am I?' on this (now non-existant or minimal) map.

Presumption: Ive traced a track on something like memory-map OS map,
and uploaded the n way points to the GPSr.

I now have a blank screen with a series of dots (the track I want to follow).
Is it a case of following the GPSr 'arrows', headings or compass,
and hoping that the planning was good, and that I'm not about to
walk over the ede of the bog | cliff etc?

Is this how such units are used for geocaching etc?

I guess the advantages of using a PDA are that there are topographical
maps available? The downsides being battery life?

Walkers? Cyclists?

How else are you using these please?

pbuser
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the PDA, if you purchase the Memory Map software for the PC you can deposit the map covering the area of interest, including a track/ route, then using this within the program on the PDA it will follow you chosen route. The resolution is the same as a paper map and so very detailed in comparison to what you describe, for extra life get an external battery pack (you will probably have to make it though, its not too difficult, I get around 10 to 12 hours with the PDA and GPS from my external pack, and it recharges in less than 30 min from the mains - good excuse to find a pub for lunch) - Mike
pbuser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
With the PDA, if you purchase the Memory Map software for the PC you can deposit the map covering the area of interest, including a track/ route, then using this within the program on the PDA it will follow you chosen route. The resolution is the same as a paper map and so very detailed in comparison to what you describe, - Mike

Thanks Mike. Looks like a real alternative.

I was off PDA's (I have a Palm) on two counts.
1. Ruggedness - vibration, rain.
2. The battery - I'm guessing you are using an external battery plugged into
the PDA as your 'long life' supply?

What are the popular models (or is that a permathread here ;-).
For Memory-map, I'd guess I'd need something that took sd or CF cards
to get a reasonably sized map on board. What size cards do you use
(or should that be what space does an average county take up?)

Seems that the Microsoft OS based models are most discussed;
is the soft reset a regular occurrence?

If you use a CF or SD card, how is the GPSr connected? Aren't they
normally connected via that same method? Built in GPSr?

pbuser
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can well understand your concerns with respect to rain, you can get a waterproof case for the PDA but they can be costly, a simple alternate is a sealing see through plastic bag, like the type you carry a traditional map in combined with an elastic bandto seal the cable exit point. For battery power - yes I use an external home made pack, there is another post in this section by a chap who built one for his mountain bike (have a search for it - it contains pictures and can be addopted to be carried in a jacket etc. its not too heavy either - we aren't talking about car batteries but high power rechargable AA size cells >2,500mA/Hr. For the maps it depends which scale you go for, the 1:50,000 scale maps are in 12 regions and each one is around the 300 to 400 MB in size, but you don't need the entire map just the section you are interested in. I have a number of SD and CF cards in various capacity. As for the PDA I far prefer the PPC over and above the palm based units, the reason being far more software that is of use, there are thousands of applications for the Palm, but not many I find of much use for mapping, the XDA is good (and cheap with a mobile phone contract) with both TomTom for car nav and Memory Map for walking. Any PDA with VGA style screen looks better in use (IPAQ-4700, Dell X50V eg.) but they cost more. If you are thinking of a new device, get one with both CF and SD slots, make sure the SD is SDIO compatible - it gives you more options later on. I can't be more specific on manufacturer or model as this is too specific to personal preferances - Also if you want external connectivity bear in mind built in WI-FI and/ or Bluetooth depending what you want - Mike
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Everything you say you want to do can be done with a basic handheld GPS unit without topo mapping. My Garmin Etrex Venture is much more rugged than my Pocket PC, less fuss and easier to power - it typically runs on two AA batteries for as long as I want to go walking, and all I need for "just in case" is a couple of spare AAs in my pocket. Obviously the topo maps on my Pocket PC are a visually richer and more functional option, but a basic GPS paired with a paper map and compass is just fine for hiking and a lot cheaper.
I'd suggest you look through the reviews on this site to get a better idea of what various brands and price brackets of handheld GPS will do. Or try the Garmin website where you can download the user manuals and read about them in detail.
Best wishes
pbuser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I can well understand your concerns with respect to rain,...

For battery power - yes I use an external home made pack,
For the maps it depends which scale you go for, the 1:50,000 scale maps are in 12 regions and each one is around the 300 to 400 MB in size, but you don't need the entire map just the section you are interested in.

... - Mike

Thanks Mike. Very useful info.
I'm guessing a 512 or even 256Mb card would suffice for most
outings.

Points noted about replacing my map case with a pda case :-)

Agree with the PPC vs Palm debate, though the quality of Palm
software is usually rated higher than PPC.
As for Wifi and Bluetooth, I'll leave those as luxuries.

The SD vs SDIO I gather is to enable a GPSr plug-in?
Just how secure are those if the device is in your pocket?

More to chew on Mike!

Appreciated.

pbuser
pbuser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryd wrote:
Hi
Everything you say you want to do can be done with a basic handheld GPS unit without topo mapping. ...
I'd suggest you look through the reviews on this site to get a better idea of what various brands and price brackets of handheld GPS will do. Or try the Garmin website where you can download the user manuals and read about them in detail.
Best wishes

Thanks Barry.

Doing just that and appreciating a little more how I'm likely to use
the device, I've drawn up a spec.

Enough marker points (breadcrumbs?) for a 30 mile bike ride
(say 250?).
Edit point names as a 'nice to have'

Upload capacity - 100 waypoints per route, say 10 routes.

Upload format 'commonly available' though I doubt that will be
a problem unless it has a nasty proprietary format, GPSBabel seems
quite comprehensive!

Min of 8 hours battery life.

Ability to download a 'trace' (of where I've been) to a PC.

Showerproof. E.g. use in the rain for 4 hours.

Enough memory for the above. (No idea).

Compass for static use - Nice to have.

Topo map upload 30x30mls area - nice to have (point noted Barry
Paper is probably still good enough:-)

Autorouting... no.

I know the Garmin 60CS meets those needs.
1. Their policy on maps
2. Crap after-sales reports
3. Non-open USB I/F
4. Proprietary maps
all combine to put me off them as a supplier.

Despite which their actual products seem
to get the best reports.

Suggestions please!

pbuser.
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again
As I said my eTrex Venture is relatively low end spec, but it hits or gets close to many of your requirements. Main qualifications/answers for my model are:
- Up to 20 routes, each with up to 50 waypoints, on my unit - use the table on the Garmin website to compare with other better models
- Waypoint names, positions and symbols are editable on the unit
- You would drive yourself mad trying to set up this many waypoints and routes on the unit (unless masochistic), so do all that on a PC application then easily upload them and then use the unit just for tweaks or to add the odd extra waypoint when travelling
- Many Garmins including mine have a serial port interface - only a few models (so far?) use USB
- Yes to track saving and download to PC, waterproof, battery life etc.
- Compass and topo maps not on my model, but on some of them
- Not sure about your concerns re maps, as most companies use proprietary formats
- Have to take issue with the "crap after-sales" comment - I've seen nothing but glowing praise for their support service on many threads on the Groundspeak (geocaching) forums. I've not had to use it myself yet, mind you ...
Best wishes
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd add that I only use the Garmin on foot normally. When cycling I use a Pocket PC with topo mapping as I prefer the scrolling map and voice commands I can get from it.
Sorry if this knocks you back to square one!
piedwagtail91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to use a garmin summit on the bike clipped into a bar mount. i've just got a vista c with the rip off city select europe( had to buy a car kit but don't have a car) and it's great.it'll record rides of 200+ miles easily( up to 10000 points). i usually plan rides on tracklogs and can send a 100 mile ride as a saved tracklog easily.for walking i've just tried doing all the gisburn forest paths as an overlay. it's a bit messy but using tracklogs/ mem. map i just went over every path in the forest and sent it to the gps. you need to be accurate when going over a track for a second time but it works and saves taking paper maps.
i've just dowloaded the contour map from the smc site and put that on the gps. i can see where all the hills are now.high capacity rechargeable batteries last for about 24 hours, and i always take a couple of spares.
this set up gives me all i need to know. there is no tourist info as on paper maps but i keep all the cyclist cafes, bike shops or other stuff as waypoints so i have all the relevant info on screen.
the city select provides the base map and i store several different areas of map and contours together to load as necessary. all the rides /walks come as an overlay from tracklogs/ mem map.
i use it to plan rides out to areas for geocaching and haven't had any problems so far except for deleteing a cache waypoint instead of selecting goto!
pbuser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryd wrote:
Just thought I'd add that I only use the Garmin on foot normally. When cycling I use a Pocket PC with topo mapping as I prefer the scrolling map and voice commands I can get from it.
Sorry if this knocks you back to square one!

<cry class='anguished'> Yes, that's what I meant when I said
next year :-)</cry>

That's what I'd like.
Memory-map product, on a hand held (ignoring ppc :-)

Grrr. When Barry, when!

Thanks for previous post btw.

pbuser.
pbuser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortform quotes. Great info p.

piedwagtail91 wrote:
i used to use a garmin summit on the bike

a 100 mile ride as a saved tracklog easily.

i've just dowloaded the contour map from the smc site

high capacity rechargeable batteries last for about 24 hours, and i always take a couple of spares.

i keep all the cyclist cafes, bike shops or other stuff as waypoints so i have all the relevant info on screen.
the city select provides the base map and i store several different areas of map and contours together to load as necessary.

Phew. Real usage data. Many thanks.
Questions please.

Batteries I'm with you. Spares a real requirement.
Storing n different maps on the GPSr. How much memory, how many maps,
and are you swapping maps in and out all the time? Do they mix nicely with the city select rip-off? I can only think of see-through base map with
the addition over the top? How does it work please?

100 mile rides are fond memories for me - 'nuff said!

I will go take a look at the summit.
Many thanks.

pbuser
piedwagtail91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the summit won't take maps only"overlays which can be a bit hard to follow on roundabouts with lots of exits, this is why i changed to a vista c. which will take the city select maps. i save the mapsets on the pc and only put them in the gps when i go out of my "home "area set. the home set is roughly from liverpool up to the north lakes and about three quarters way across the country.
i have another set made up with contours for scotland , a set for wales and a set for the peak district, download through a usb is only a couple of minutes.
i think the vista c has 24 mb of memory which is plenty for my needs.
the base or the city select map( the garmin built in base map only has main roads and motorways) isn't see through, the contour map goes over the top(i think) and just shows contours and names of hills, all the roads and waypoints are still visible througth it.
the tracks from tracklogs/ mem map then go over that. highlighting the roads from city select.these can on this model be changed to any colour you like on screen which makes them very easy to follow even with navigation off. with navigation of the tracklog on you get a beep before every turn, i use this when on my own but when i'm with the club i leave it off as some don't like the "noise".
using this set up makes geocaching easy, you can just plot a route to the waypoint for the cache. finding teh cache is another story though!
pbuser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piedwagtail91 wrote:
the summit won't take maps only"overlays which can be a bit hard to follow on roundabouts with lots of exits, this is why i changed to a vista c. which will take the city select maps

with navigation of the tracklog on you get a beep before every turn, i use this when on my own but when i'm with the club i leave it off as some don't like the "noise".
using this set up makes geocaching easy, you can just plot a route to the waypoint for the cache. finding teh cache is another story though!

I've basically decided that a handheld is second best for road work, hence
my questions on what I guess is effectively geocaching by any other name,
though I'm going to try and avoid that temptation!

Thanks for the map info, the overlay idea seems sensible.

When you say 'navigation of the tracklog' (I'm not yet familiar with the jargon)
do you mean following a track you've traced out on a map on the pc,
or re-tracing a track you've stored on the GPSr?

You've taken the summit off the list, the uploadable maps (topo I guess)
seems most usable for bike tracks and walking.

I'm guessing SMC means Scottish Mountaineering club?
http://www.smc.org.uk/books/books_contour_maps.htm

I have looked into conversion of other map formats into Garmin
format. A pain but doable seems to be the summary :-)

Thanks again

pbuser
piedwagtail91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes a tracklog can be a walk/ride/drive you've done with the gps and saved or can be traced on the pc and then loaded to the gps as a saved tracklog.
yes it's the scottish moutaineering club.
i would study all your options, download demos of mapping software and read up and ask advice as much as possible because it'e all too easy to make an expensive mistake with this stuff!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: