Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Where are settings and Favourites stored?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are settings and Favourites stored?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Where are settings and Favourites stored? Reply with quote

Hi,

I would like to know where the TomTom settings are stored and also where the favourites are kept so that I can take backup copies.

I have twice managed to lose my favourites and have all the setiings revert back to defaults. If I had a backup copy of the relevent files I'm assuming I could just copy them back whenever they get lost?

As for the reason they get lost in the first place, I suspect it may be when two or more instances of TomTom are running at the same time e.g. you click on TomTom to start it but nothing happens so after a while you click again, then everything comes back to life and you end up with TomTom running twice (or more). It seems to be after this has happened that my settings and favourites go back to defaults.

Nobby
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Where are settings and Favourites stored? Reply with quote

They used to be kept in data files within the country directory on your storage card, but since 2.2x they've been moved to My Documents.
Nobby
Occasional Visitor

Hello Dave,

I take it you mean the files in \My Documents\TomTom Navigator Settings. Within this directory I have two files:-

NavigatorGlobalSettings.cfg

South-EastNavigatorSettings.cfg

(I also have a file called TomTomNavigator.axs in \My Documents)

Do these files store both the favourites and the program settings?

Regards

Nobby
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

I think the names of the two .cfg files are fairly self-explanatory. One is your global settings, the other relates to a particular map. Between them, they contain your favourites and program settings.

Apart from the "Home" favourite, I find myself not using favourites any more. Instead, I have created a "Personal" POI category, which I find is a much more robust and portable solution.

David
thealbs
Occasional Visitor

I found I had the same problem - see seperate thread on this subject. I think the root cause was maybe something to do with ActiveSync getting confused as the My Documents folder fals into that regime. Another member said that, if the files become corrupted in any way (maybe syncing when they're being written to?) then TT2 simply removes them and starts afresh. Not sure how accurate this theory is but it sounds feasible to me.

Anyone know why TT decided to move these for version 2? Was it causing problems previously?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

From http://www.tomtom.com/support/ce/support/download_navigator2.php:

All settings will now be stored in "\My Documents\TomTom Navigator Settings" (unless no "My Documents" folder can be found). In this place they can also be backed up automatically whenever you synchronise.

Unfortunately, file synchronisation in ActiveSync causes problems for some if you have it turned on. It's never caused problems for me - but if you're having problems, they'll manifest in the sort of problems described in this thread.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: