Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom testing completed!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom testing completed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Sanders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: TomTom testing completed! Reply with quote

TomTom having completed their “Beta” testing on TT5, released it and followed it with upgrade 5.1 to the UK market. Members of this forum have all been working on “Gamma” testing TT5 and find that it falls short in many respects.

I have changed from my reliable Emtac to a more sensitive GlobalSat 338, I have changed my SD card from 512 Mb to 1 Gb - but still TT5 behaves unacceptably.

The fault must lie in this software. TT3 worked very well with my Axim X5.

My chief complaint is that after the GPS has indicated that it has found satellites, it takes an inordinate amount of time before TT5 is usable as intended i.e. to Navigate to …

This is closely followed by locking up which occurs more frequently than is reasonable and mostly at inconvenient parts of the journey, I do not recall that either of these issues were significant problems with TT3.

So TomTom, we have completed the “Gamma” testing. Hopefully you will have been kept informed with the comments on this forum.

Please tell us that you are aware of the problems and that an upgrade will be forthcoming. Basingstoke might be a suitable opportunity for you to start to regain our satisfaction with the product!
Rolling Eyes
Alan Sanders
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if its your hardware?

doesn't the axim x5 have issues with 1gb sd cards? I thought I'd read this on aximsite.com and does you axim have built in bt or are you using a cf bt card - I think there are issues with these in lots of devices.

For me on a dell x50v 1gb sd card 1 gb cf card tomtom 5 is very reliable - far more stable than early versions of ttn3 were.

Hopefully, like others, you can secure a refund and try something else - I would love to try destinator but can't justify buying another gps system at the moment.

Ian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom testing completed! Reply with quote

Alan Sanders wrote:

I have changed from my reliable Emtac to a more sensitive GlobalSat 338, I have changed my SD card from 512 Mb to 1 Gb - but still TT5 behaves unacceptably.

Which type of car are you using it all in? does it have a heat reflective windscreen, try the gps in another location try the rear shelf, side window, or directly in front of the rear view mirror, it should work better than you are experiancing - mike
Alan Sanders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian & Mike,

I don't think the windscreen is a problem in the Peugeot 306 as I always get loads of satellites showing in the car using TT5, MemoryMap, Cruxview & GPSinfo programs. BT for the Axim X5 is via a Socket BT CF card which never gives a problem in MemoryMap or when using GPS with a Nokia 6310i

I was not aware of an SD 1Gb problem with the Axim, as I said TT5 is slow to become usable whichever card was in the Axim. The PDA works amazingly well with MM and (TT5 once it moves off the grey screen & until it locks up).

The main point of my note was to see if I am alone in wanting to have a fix for the problems in TT5. I was a great fan of TT3 when I used it.
Rolling Eyes
Alan
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan
I turn on my BT338 and then the Ipaq 2210 and by the time TT5 is up and running all the satellites are there and we are ready to go. As for locking up I can honestly say that mine has never locked even once. I think that TT5 runs better than TT3 and although I could go back to TT3 I wouldn’t dream of ever doing so. TT5 obviously suits certain PDAs and GPS receivers better than others but that doesn’t help a person that happens to have a piece of hardware that fails to work satisfactory with TT5. Can you imagine the uproar there would be if certain software only worked on Dell or Evesham desktop computers?
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Alan Sanders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Trevor,
I am pleased that you are having success with TT5, I think you must be right about some hardware being more suitable than others. It would be interesting to know which current pda's give as good a performance as yours does. Perhaps having one with BT built in is one of the factors.
Rolling Eyes Alan
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To use a BT GPS Receiver I would strongly reccomend you use a PDA that is natively equipped with BT. Solutions using CF Card BT adapters appear to be frequently problematic. Are you using a BT adapter?

Of all the combinations that are possible, annecdotal evidence suggests that some Dell and Toshiba models are the most troublesome.

The now discontinued h2210 was probably the most popular but if used with a BT receiver you needed to use CF for map storage to ensure stability.
sland
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a HP iPAQ 2210 which has native BT support and I get lock ups unless I disable "Show POIs". I am using the fastest SD card I could find (60x Corsair 1Gb SD) and it still locks up with Show POIs enabled.

I also agree that TT5 on my equipment (TT BT Mk1) is much slower to get a lock than TT3 on the same equipment. TT3 .07 would lock very fast whereas TT5 can take up to 1 minute to get a loack if it has not been on for a day or so. TT3 didnt exhibit that behaviour.

Mike
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren
You have mentioned using Compact Flash for map storage on the Ipaq 2210 for stability and yes, you are right. When I first brought the 2210 it came with a SD card and TT3 would lock up whenever it felt in the mood. It was on these forums that I read about the possible conflict between the 2210 and SD cards and I followed the advice that was given from other users. The advice was simple, change to a CF card – and it worked. TT3 worked perfectly from that day and TT5 works perfectly now.
To get back to certain hardware running better than others with TT5 I have noticed on these forums that the 2210/BT338 users have far less problems than some of the other users with different hardware. I know how I would feel if I was in their position, P----d off .
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
treborvfr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Sanders wrote:
Thanks Ian & Mike,

I don't think the windscreen is a problem in the Peugeot 306 as I always get loads of satellites showing in the car using TT5, MemoryMap

Alan,

Not sure about the 306, but last year I had a Peugot 307 as a hire car in Spain and the windscreen glass definately reduced the number of satellites I could pick up, such that I couldn't get a fix in Barcelona with the tall buildings/trees thrown in to the equation as well. Fortunately I had taken an external aerial with me and that worked fine.

Bob
Targaid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Sanders wrote:
or when using GPS with a Nokia 6310i

How do you do that, then?

Forgive the probably dumb question, but I'm totally new to GPS and was not aware I could use it with my 6310i. Confused

Hope this still reaches you after such a long delay between your post & mine!
Alan Sanders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the typo, when I mentioned GPS on a Nokia 6310i It should have been GPRS.
I hope it did not confuse to many people.
Rolling Eyes Alan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: