Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - To Tom 5 and Tungsten E
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

To Tom 5 and Tungsten E

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Batchpad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: To Tom 5 and Tungsten E Reply with quote

Help required please.

Does anybody know if TomTom 5 for the palm will work on a Tungsten E with a wired GPS? The software states that it works on the T/E2 but as this has bluetooth it may be different.

I am wanting to buy the product for my pda but also want to ensure compatibility first.

Thanks
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

this rather depends on what kit you have all ready. The only way to get a gps mouse to work on a tungsten E is to buy the Kirrio kit with cradle and gps mouse - this is because the tungsten e doesn't have a serial port - the only conventional coms port it has is the infa red one - this sin't particulalry useful for sat nav use!

Kirrio also sell a cable to connect a 3rd party gps mouse too but it is a to get hold of!. I think kirrio have now been purchased by via-michelin so have a look in the forum and on www.viamichelin.com

I did manage to get tomtom 3 running on a tungsten e but had real problems and tomtom woundn't halp as they said it couldn't be done!

I don't think there is any chance of tomtom 5 running on a tungsten e any I truthfully wouldn't waste time looking for a sloution.

The kirrio / michelin kits come with erverything you need including viamichelin navigation 3 - this is pretty similar to tomtom 3 and when the limited hardware in the tungsten is taken into account the package ir pretty good - the mouse is based on the ssII chipset and works well.

One thing is certain you cannot just buy a gps mouse and hope to get it working with the e - it won't.

Hope this helps

Ian
Batchpad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

I have just purchased a GPS mouse from the States and am awaiting its arrival. It apparently comes with leads to connect it to the Tungsten E.

I currently have the Viamichelin software on the Palm so will probably upgrade that instead of trying Tom Tom. Lets hope it all works when connected together..!!
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This cable should work - if you look through some old post in the mapsonic forum another user got this and it worked ok - I managed to get ttn3 running ok but only with a 16mb map section and had to reset after every route (this was on a 256mb sd card).

You have to install the TTN3 update specifically for the tungsten t5 (from tomtom us support) to get it running on the E - just wasn't worth the effort in the end.

Viamichelin 3 maps are very similar in age to those supplied with ttn5 - new ones are due out soon hopefully - viamicheline support is a little lacking but better in my experience than tomtom (I've actually talked to michelin's techical support twice without a wait on the phone)

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: