Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Prob's with C310 & i3's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Prob's with C310 & i3's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pendoggett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Prob's with C310 & i3's Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Just a guick gripe about C310 Street pilot, after getting through
3 yes 3 i3 street pilot's thinking it was a bad batch or somthing!! I decided
to pay a little extra to get the touch screen C310; and I thought well now I can put my troubles behind me and use the C310 to navigate to the desired
postcode Sad
Wrong it does exactly the same as what the i3's do as in enter postcode and
it ask's for house No, then put in 0 and and press done.

This time I did not get the chance to get three correct postcode searches it
would not budge from my original postcode find and merely took me straight
back to my first postcode.

So there you have it, it seems to be a glitch in all the Garmin Sat nav model's
I have emailed Greg at Garmin and he said the engineers could not replicate this problem yet other folk's on this forum have exactly the same problem as me.

Look's like I shall be sending this one back as well
Confused

Regards

Pendoggett.....
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought - If you only get the problem when selecting consecutive post codes with a house number of 0 have you tried interspersing with a post code with a house no 1-9? Do you still get the same problem?
ps73uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Prob's with C310 & i3's Reply with quote

pendoggett wrote:

So there you have it, it seems to be a glitch in all the Garmin Sat nav model's
I have emailed Greg at Garmin and he said the engineers could not replicate this problem yet other folk's on this forum have exactly the same problem as me.

Regards

Pendoggett.....

I have returned mine now as well, i even tried it on a friends i3 and it did exactly the same, to be honest i think Garmin just cant be bothered sorting this one out, not enough people are complaining about it i suppose!
Paul
ps73uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Prob's with C310 & i3's Reply with quote

Thing is they seemed to know all about it a few weeks ago, this is the email i had from Greg at Garmin regarding the postcode problem:

ps73uk wrote:
Hello Paul,

Our engineers are aware of this problem and are currently working on a
software update for the i3. They hope to release it shortly.

Thank you.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

Regards,
Greg V********
Sales Support Associate
Garmin (Europe) Ltd

Paul
pendoggett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Prob's with C310 & i3's Reply with quote

Hi Folk's, thank's for the replie's

Just a quick one on the C310, does anyone know how to do a major reset on
this model as I have tried the standard reset and it will not clear the memory
of last find's etc.

I am looking for the full reset, as in the three button reset required for the i3
any one know the equivalent ?

Many thank's
Pendoggett....
ps73uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right i have tried again and have got another i3 here now and it still has the postcode problem, so i have emailed this off to garmin this morning in the hope that can get an i3 they have there to do exactly the same thing!!

"Hello again Greg,
I have been reading the pocketgps forums and it seems like you are still having problems with the postcode problem on the i3's, here is a rundown step by step of exactly what i'm doing and hopefully you can see the problem there yourself!

1. Reset the garmin (select language as english, select voice as British english, select timezone as europe western and select daylight saving preference as auto)

2. Then select "where to" on the front screen and then select "go home" Enter the home address as City: Dudley (west midlands), House number: 1, Street: ********* road.

3. Turn the GPS off in the options (settings > system > GPS mode > GPS Off), after this the i3 tries to navigate to my home from somewhere in London, when it asks if you want to navigate this route just say no and when you have done that if it's displayed click "stop navigation" on the front screen.

4. Then on the front screen click on "where to?" then select "recent finds", click once on 1 hollyhock road then scroll down and select "select location", the go back to the "where to?" screen.

5. Select "where to?", then select "address", then select "england", then enter the postcode "DY2 7NG", then enter the house number as "0" then click done, on the next screen it should then display Tansley hill avenue. DY2 7NG, click on start navigating, then click yes to simulate driving this route, let it simulate all the way to tansley hill avenue, it should only take about 2-3 mins to arrive there.

6. Go back to the "where to?" screen and select "where to?" then select "address" then select "england" then enter the postcode as "B69 1SW" then enter the house number as "0" then click done, on the next screen it should display "wheatsheaf road. B69 1SW" click on start navigating then click yes to simulate driving this route, let it simulate all the wat to Wheatsheaf road it should only take about 2-3 mins to arrive there.

7. Go back to the "where to?" screen and select "where to?" then select "address" then select "england" then enter the postcode as "DY2 7NA" then enter the house number as "0" then click done, on the next screen it should display "green park road. DY2 7NA" click on start navigating then click yes to simulate driving this route, let it simulate all the way to green park road it should only take about 2-3 mins to arrive there, NOW ON MINE IT HAS AT THIS POINT NAVIGATED BACK TO DY2 7NG INSTEAD OF DY2 7NA

8. So it now has arrived at DY2 7NG instead of DY2 7NA, so i'm going to tell it again to navigate to DY2 7NA, so go to the "where to?" screen then click on "address" then select "england" and enter the postcode of "DY2 7NA" again once again select the house number as "0", it will once again display "green park road. DY2 7NA" , so once again click on "start navigating", it will then straight away say "arriving at destination on left" (even though you are no where near the destination) and the map will start moving/jumping around saying you are doing 20-30mph, infact it will just keep jumping around the map as long as you want to leave it for!

If yours does navigate to DY2 7NA without any problems repeat the step 6 and the navigate to " DY2 7NS" and house number "0", if it gets there ok, then repeat step 6 again and navigate to "DY2 7PN" and enter house number as "0"

If yours hasn't done it by now then i give up and my second i3 with the same problem will have to go back Sad , hope you can sort it out because it's spoiling what ohterwise is a very good little unit! ;-)

Thanks Greg for taking the time to read this email, could you please let me know how you get on with yours if you follow this email step by step??

Best reagrds
Paul."

It's a shame because this postcode problem is really spoiling (for me anyway) what would otherwise be a great little unit, just hope that can sort it out from the details i have given them above!
Paul
ASHERS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Prob's with C310 & i3's Reply with quote

pendoggett wrote:
Hi Folk's, thank's for the replie's

Just a quick one on the C310, does anyone know how to do a major reset on
this model as I have tried the standard reset and it will not clear the memory
of last find's etc.

I am looking for the full reset, as in the three button reset required for the i3
any one know the equivalent ?

Many thank's
Pendoggett....

When you say you have tried the standard reset do you mean using the button under the faceplate?

If so don't know any other way.
pendoggett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Prob's with C310 & i3's Reply with quote

Hi Folk's
Sorry I do not know about the button! as within the menu there is
a reset to choose which I did use,problem was it never wiped the memory
of the last input of two postcodes ,so unable to navgate to my next code.
I turned it off untill I was in a comletely different postal area to try again
and this time it took me there but only the once, after inputing a similar
code same applied it would not take me to the next code telling me I had already arrived !!

I have given up now on the C310 and have had it returned for a refund
Sad its a shame really as I was well impressed with the Garmin units when
they worked....
thanks for your replies
Pendoggett.....
JeffG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: User error Reply with quote

It seems pretty obvious to me that if it's a software problem (which it is), then trying loads of different hardware units (all running the same software) isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference!

I tried the experiment trying to navigate to DY2 7NA, house number 0, then clicked on Review Turns and the final destination was shown as DY2 7NG. It doesn't make any difference where you start from - this was from my home location in Newbury.

If instead I enter the house number as 1, it navigates correctly to Green Park Road (number 2, in fact).

So why not just enter a proper house number, and forgive the software this little glitch?

Jeff.
ps73uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because there isn't always a house number when the postcode just happens to be on an industrial estate or similar, putting any old number dosent always work either, sometimes it will take you quite far away from where you want to be using that approach.

Heres an example for you: try and navigate to postcode DY2 8BB and enter the house number as 1, see the problem?, it gives you 2 possible roads, Uplands road and Uplands Close (the correct one is uplands road), now start again and enter the postcode DY2 8BB again, this time enter the house number as 0, it will correctly this time display uplands road only.

Anyway thanks to the step by step email i sent to garmin they have now been able to recreate the problem themselves and are hopefully going to be able to cure the problem out. Smile
Paul
pendoggett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Prob's with C310 & i3's Reply with quote

Hi Folk's,

Halllelujah !!! Smile

And about time aswell, such a shame a software glitch like that can
cause so many problems !!

lets hope the update comes out soon to help folk's who have hung
on to their i3's..

Regards Pendoggett....
JeffG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops! I withdraw my previous comment implying this was an acceptable glitch. As an experiment, instead of ps73uk's example (going to DY2 7NG instead of DY2 7NA), I tried a local route to RG14 6DA and it ended up at RG16 6DG, i.e. same problem, different place.

Jeff.
arkright
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: c310 Reply with quote

I have a c310 and have found the if you leave the house number blank and just press "DONE" it finds the property purely on the postcode, as a particular postcode is only for a few properties. This works well when trying to find units on industrial estates. It's not ideal but does get you within a few metres.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: c310 Reply with quote

arkright wrote:
I have a c310 and have found the if you leave the house number blank and just press "DONE" it finds the property purely on the postcode

from memory, on the i3 you can't leave the house number blank... i may be wrong though
gottai3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 2.7 of the software for i3's is now available (today), does that fix this problem?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: