Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM PERM DOCKING KIT AUDIO PROBLEM
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM PERM DOCKING KIT AUDIO PROBLEM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildatheart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
If anyone experiencing this problem can get close to their VIB can you check if the relays are being activated for both Navigation instructions and voice calls. This may help get to the bottom of this problem.

Thanks fo the informative update Mike.

As the speakers do cut for both Phone and Navigation, I would have thought this means that the relays are indeed working for both? Or have I misunderstood the question?

As regards TomTom having future plans for routing the phone through the speakers, do you mean this would be through a software update alone, or would it involve new hardware, too?
will562
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could it possibly work with an older version of software? and they haven't thought about the phone calls when building the new software?
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since TomTom does not know in advance where the car speakers are placed, and of what kind (determines the level of the sound), playing phone sound over the car speakers could cause a lot of echo interference, high pitch beeping.
This should be finetuned with echo cancellation, but that is different for each setup.
But with the built-in mic and GO speaker it 's a fixed distance and controlable volume, so relatively easy to configure ideal sound level and echo cancellation parameters.
wildatheart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great except the problem is that a distorted version of the phone sound can be heard through the speakers, rather than nothing at all...
countduckula55
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to buy a docking kit but I after looking at the unit, I am going to get problems with the wiring connections on it.
I own a Vauxhall Astra (H) which now uses a Quadlok connector for the stereo not the older 'iso' one which the Docking Kit uses.
I have heard that Audioleads are going to work a solution but I think I will wait to see if all of these problems get ironed out!!
wildatheart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onezone, how are you getting on with the car kit now? Has anything improved? I am still suffering the same phone/audio problem. (and haven't got the headlights link to work).
f1rb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd sign up to add a bit to this topic....

I've just installed the Permanent Docking Kit in my Merc CLK. It went in simply enough. The headlight link works fine. The announcements only come out of the LHS speaker (both work fine for the radio). I think there is a broken joint or wire somewhere since I can get the RHS speaker to work if I prod the connector from the docking shoe where it goes into the box.

There is an annoying hiss/buzz in the background of all the announcements, I might see if I can filter this out somehow.

I haven't used the hands-free so can't comment on this.

LJW
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

countduckula55 wrote:
I wanted to buy a docking kit but I after looking at the unit, I am going to get problems with the wiring connections on it.
I own a Vauxhall Astra (H) which now uses a Quadlok connector for the stereo not the older 'iso' one which the Docking Kit uses.
I have heard that Audioleads are going to work a solution but I think I will wait to see if all of these problems get ironed out!!

Wee if youi know enougth about the wiring there should be two wires to go to the left speaker and two wires to thr right and one for the telephone muting.

You dont need to connect the ISO you *could* cut it off an duse some bade connectors and just tap off the wires. The telephone muting cable is normally labelled.
countduckula55
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the advice.

I have just seen that audioleads have released an adapter,

http://www.siocommunications.co.uk/Shopping/view_product.php?product=SOT-122

I am not too sure if this will do the trick, if not I will 'tap' in to the wires like you said.

Are all of the docking kits 'not up to scratch' as there seems to be a lot of unhappy people who have purchased it and not so many happy ones!!

Thanks again.[/code][/url]
Ramon959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would add my 5c worth here. TTG500

I purchased 2 of these kits to be installed in a friends and my cars. I was looking for an Adaptor to Suit an '05 SAAB 93 and an '05 CLK, I asked Tomtom support, got a reply 8 days later of no help at all and 6 days after I had found that Autoleads sell the SOT-076 to suit these cars (BMW Fitment, but SAAB and Merc use the Quadlock now too.)

Anyway, I have fitted the unit in the SAAB So far:
Headlights change did not work until I tapped out a 12v source (Cig Lighter light)
Voice commands appear to come from only the front Right speaker with the crackle when the relay kicks in ( I opened the box and yes it does cut in)
No voice for phone either through speakers or TT - and nodoby can hear me.
I have the external mike, no difference, it works when not connected to the TT however ( Paired to Phone no problems/Mike works)
I checked inside and it had 2 relays, I would assume for phone and voice but it does have 4 speaker pairs marked on the PCB.
From someone that looks at electronics all day, it looks like a child made it, all the components are large, not surface mount, soldering leaves a little to be desired.

Have yet to attempt to fit the kit in the CLK, but will let you know.
wildatheart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your experiences Ramon; let us know how you get on. I am also still very keen to read Mike's full review of the Permanent Docking Kit on this site, which has been a good few weeks coming now...
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The review is still coming. I need to get a few things sorted before I can do my write up.

We will have the PocketGPSWorld.com car at the Basingstoke GPS Event so you will be able to see how the system works. Lets hope my girlfriend doesnt phone in the middle of the event whilst in carphone mode!!!
Ramon959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems, here is an update.

I have a new S.E. W800i phone I was using, this appeared to be the phone problem. I have reverted back to my older z1010 (also S.E.), and this appears to work relatively well (amazing since it has been in a Pint of beer)

It only comes through the TomTom speaker, a little quiet but reasonably clear. Mic works OK too - may need to be relocated closer.

The instructions still clip and crackle, but this is only realy noticable when stationary and at high TT volume/low speaker volume. Driving it seems OK.

I guess thats it, I will just leave it alone now and hope it stays that way!
wildatheart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd revive this thread of old & ask if any users of the docking kit can report their experiences, good or bad.

I have been reasonably happy with it, and haven't had the crackled noise. However after updating to 5.420 the speakers no longer mute during telephone calls, so I have reverted back to the previous system software. Has anyone else had the same experience?

An I am still very keen on Mike's review of the kit. Do you have an ETA Mike?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working hard at getting the Basingstoke GPS Event up and running at the moment. Plus some interesting stuff which will be revealed on Saturday.Soon

After that I will be back to doing some reviews. Hopefully my day job boss will understand... (Hang on I am the day job boss as well!! Laughing )

That means that I have a whole raft of reviews queued up just waiting to come out.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: