Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Purchase Advice Needed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Purchase Advice Needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epoch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Purchase Advice Needed Reply with quote

Hi all

I've been using a Navman GPS sleeve for several years now. I first used it with Smart Path, then Smart ST.

Later on, I purchased Tom Tom 2 ... and now I'm on Tom Tom 5.

My Pocket PC is currently an iPaq 3970.

I'm getting a bit fed up with the slooooow start up times on the Navman jacket, so I'm after something new.

I assume I'll need a bluetooth receiver, but which one? Also, if I'm using a bluetooth GPS, does that mean Tom Tom can't dial out using bluetooth GPRS ?

Also, I use different cars frequently, so I need to be sure that the device will get thru whatever bizarre windscreen is in the car.

Any suggestions on an ideal mount would be appreciated too. Again, has to be fully portable, and I'd like to avoid windscreen mounts if i can.

I'll carry on trawling through the forums and reviews, but any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Andrew
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchase Advice Needed Reply with quote

epoch wrote:

I assume I'll need a bluetooth receiver, but which one? Also, if I'm using a bluetooth GPS, does that mean Tom Tom can't dial out using bluetooth GPRS ?

PPC devices such as Ipaq support multiple BT connections (unlike Palm devices) so should be OK. TT will need a BT phone paired with your Ipaq before it can dial out. Mine is easy because I have an Ipaq 6340 which has built in phone.
epoch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Thanks for that - good to know.

I think I've settled on the Holux 236 (unless anyone would care to dissuade me). I'm led to believe it can somehow get a signal even from a glove box 8O .

Is it worth getting an external antenna too ? I use hire cars a lot and I can quite often be found in a Laguna or Mondeo with their new fangled fancy windscreens. (My currently solution at the moment involves a 3-way lighter socket, external re-rad antenna and a mile of cables!! I live in constant fear of being found hanged by the neck in the driving seat of a Ford !).

I need a new mount too. My own car is a 2001 Accord, and the dashboard where the vents are slope back slightly (a real annoyance with perfume air fresheners!). Will this pose a problem with vent mounts? If so, can anyone suggest a good (and portable) model.

Thanks in advance.

This site is just so damned useful !
roon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epoch wrote:
Hi. Thanks for that - good to know.

I think I've settled on the Holux 236 (unless anyone would care to dissuade me). I'm led to believe it can somehow get a signal even from a glove box 8O .

Aye, tis true. Got 6 bars inside the glove box. Got 8 bars inside the house once it had got the lock.

You wont believe how small this reciever is until you open the box. It is minute. You gotta see it to believe it.

Works from inside my thick demin jeans and jacket over the pocket. Have never had it loose a signal yet.

Amazing reciever.
epoch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just clarify - will TomTom Nav 5 work fine with the Holux 236 ..... ?

Also, I assume I'll need to remove the Navman serial driver which I'd been using with my Navman jacket.

Any advice on a good mount (not windscreen), which i can use between several cars would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: