Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sony NVX P1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sony NVX P1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPSinC3
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Sony NVX P1 Reply with quote

Sorry if this is wrong place but no Sony forum and as far as I can tell this new unit is a Navman 650 in disguise.

I have just bought one and tried it out going down to SW France, if anyone is interested I could post a longer review.

Main issue over 650 is the SONY is that I got one £140 cheaper over best Navman price I could find
stealeydan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would be interested in your coments on the sony
GPSinC3
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: More on Sony Reply with quote

Having had my old system IPAQ 2210, Seidio Mount, Globalsat etc with D3 stolen, I had to re look at the market. I was moving towards the Navman 650, I wanted all Europe Maps when I came across the Sony.

Interestingly not sold via GPS dealers but Sony Car radio dealer/installers. I have tried this out over 2000 miles last week and am very pleased. If you know the Navman then the features seem the same, but to check there is a PDF manual available from the Sony Europe site and also a demo.

It has all the 16 country maps on the Hard drive, but you can speed things loading but unselecting the ones you don’t need as it load all to memory when switched on.

It has usual features re address, five digit postcodes, favourites and recent history, one interesting feature is that is seems to record a location if you switch off when there and this then appears under RECENT

You can also pan and zoom the entire map database and manually select down to the street you want and then navigate to that.

Mapping is Teleatlas and seems very accurate, some very minor tracks in the Landes appear as roads ! Routing options with slider controls for fast, short, motorways, urban, tick on/off tolls, ferries………….as its pan Europe it can recognise the ferries and has the maps. I still found it better to set routes one at a time but multi routing is there. Note if you calculate and then change route options, it doesn’t change unless you delete route and restart, but remember it will be in Recent so easy.

Has avoids but haven’t tried that yet.

Instructions come in many languages and male and female for each, I stuck to Male UK, clearer than the girl, but does sound a little like William Hague !

Various screen options and the birds eye view is tiltable from flat to the horizon dependant on what you like. Also next four instructions available.

Screen is bright even is sun and mount is solid, dependant on vehicle you may find the supplied remote very useful. I mounted that with hi tech blutack near the wheel whilst the main unit was on the screen in the middle, very little vibration up to 140k/h and still readable. NB this is not a touch screen, entry is by dedicated keys and arrow keys for names etc I found this nicer than my old IPAQ.

Minor gripe is that in France it list the roads under the E Euroroute numbers so doesn’t actually tell you take the A10 or whatever, but seems to work, recalculate is fast, it does a back on track if you miss and unless it needs to make you U turn, it is seamless you could actually not even notice the route changing and the routes work, missed one junction of the Autoroute and was sent via Periperfique and along the Seine bank to reconnect.

The final point is its badged Sony but apart from the case plastic, but heavy duty, and the controls being a bit different it seems to be a 650, best price I could find a 650 was £580, this I got for £450…………enough said.

I will try the loading of speed cameras next. The PC software Sony desktop looks rather the same as Navman as well.

Recommended.
GPSinC3
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Links re Sony Reply with quote

Links to info and demo

http://www.sonydigital-link.com/manuals/manuals.asp?l=en&searchModelName=nvx%20p1

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=NVX-P1&site=odw_en_GB&pageType=TechnicalSpecs&category=ICM+Navigation
stealeydan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice post mine comes tomorrow £450 can't wait to try it out
i was a bit worried about getting it sony being sony thought they would put lot of protection on to stop third party POI but if you sorted them out thats only big bonus let you know my thoughts in a couple of days
thanks
stealeydan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

received mine not very please with it the first thing i did was to try it out on route to my work as a test a road i use has been in use now for 7 years not as i stated in my other post and its there only as a greyed out road i persume mean ins not built yet i am very new to this but would of thought a 7 year old road should be on map the garmin i3
i bought for my has it on and that omly cost £199 i say only still alot of money garmin has city select maps on it i think but not quite sure what the sony has on?
anyway i have emailed sony about its maps being out of date and asked the place i ordered it from for an returns number witch i have just received.
i do feel that these sat nav things should be up dated for free for the first year at least.
i am very disapointed in sony all thowe its probally not they fault completly if at all. out of the box 1 trip to work back in box to be returned £450 cost of the return 10% £45 down i wait and see the response from sony first.............. :x Sad
GPSinC3
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your routing settings, the nrouting may be vbiased to major roads so doesn't use the side roads, check without routing if it shows the car on it, if its not a real road according to Teleatlas it will tell you to go to nearest road.
GPSinC3
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: POIs Reply with quote

Update ...............Navman POIs from this site, ie speed cameras work fine on the Sony, just follow the direcions as Navman
lapinjatka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Map view don't update speed, bug or "feature" Reply with quote

I have used many navigation programs, and currently use TomTom 5 with Ipaq 4700. For curiosity I bought Sony nvxp1 aka navman 6500.
I like it, software is a little bit clumsy and operating without touch display difficult, but I used to it easily. Maps are quite good and display is very good. Even in the direct sunlight one can see the display.
The routing directions are occasionally cumbersome, if you come some road and you are going to an other road left using right side round, there is never word exit or similar in the directions, only keep right lane.
I have one question of software: If you are using map-mode, moving map is shoing and your place there, but speed keep same. Only when you change display type, speed changes, and afterwards keep static.
TomTom Navigator 5, TeleType Navigator
Genimap Navigator, Destinator (old v. 2)
Fugawi 3.x
GPSinC3
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that as well, but when you have a route active the speed etc updates all the time, can check speedo against GPS on motorway/autoroute !
Dilemma
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have noticed that the speed stays the same.

Does youe remote also lag behind, I press one of the buttons and then it actions the command about half a second or a second later. By which time you think it did not recognise the command the first time and have already pressed the button again, so now use the buttons and keep the remote in the glove box maybe the battery needs changing.

Other than that I think it is a good product, although now need to speak to Sony as I have also seem to have lost the install disk and have bought a new PC, so can only update it on my old one for the moment.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: