Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Go on Watchdog - 4/10/05
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Go on Watchdog - 4/10/05
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vorix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: TT Go on Watchdog - 4/10/05 Reply with quote

Anyone else see the feature about the woman buying the satnav products (3 Navmans, I think, and a TT Go). She insisted that all of them were useless and kept leading her down dead ends, into Tesco supermarkets etc.
Now, I don't even have the latest maps and my TT Go has very rarely taken me to the wrong location. I usually rely on it totally now when travelling somewhere new.
My impression was that she would have had trouble finding her way out of a paper bag - any one else see it and care to comment?

PS. PC World sold all the products to her and didn't exactly come out of it smelling of roses either.
lettice
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh did not see the point of that really!
Like you I have never had any problems at all with my TomTom Go 300.

No other viewer was shown to have problems or comments, or any comments from TomTom themselves.
Just seemed like a filler for the programme.

Article here, very brief on bbc website
http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/reports/transport/transport_20051004.shtml
MrRusty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Methinks a case of not using the kit properly. I have TTG300 and fairly frequently it will say "take the exit" or similar just as you about to get to an exit, whilst a quick glance at the screen shows it is the first warning for an exit 1.5 miles away or so. I know that on a few occasions I have had to double check which exit the thing is referring to. I can imagine someone just relying on voice commands might get quite confused. I didn't see the prog BTW.
james23_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She sounded like a right stupid mare, didn't she! Laughing Maybe problems with one, but four? Hmmmmm..... She couldnt even change her language from spanish to English FFS!
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Watch Dog Reply with quote

My comments to Watch Dog below - These products need support from satisfied users before being dammed within seconds by the media.

Re Satellite Navigation:-

Satellite Navigation is used all over the world by both Civilian and Military users with perfect results. And yet it doesn’t work for Amanda McKinnie.
Odd that, the same satellites revolving around the globe, serving all but Amanda in Rainham. Aircraft landing in poor weather conditions after hours of flying around the world but Amanda is driving around in circles. And that’s after four different units.
No, I think this could be a user issue. I pick up from addresses all over the South East (including Rainham) with out a hitch, accuracy with in yards on all occasions.
This is the user, for example the Tom Tom unit comes with a number of selected languages including Spanish you just need to change to English. Its not rocket science, just read the instructions.
Before pointing the finger of blame at the product or the retailer look at the user and check they know what they are doing.
witchnut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shops would be well advised to put a minimum intelligence level on their products when there are dumb customers like that around, (just imagine how they can screw up the software if they try to add custom POI's sounds or pictures)

I get as p****d off as anyone when Tom-Tom speaks something different to the picture, or when its maps are clearly 2 years out of date. But this stupid customer did not deserve 10mins of prime-time and the theatricals of pointing to the danger sign on the barrier is unfortunately typical of the production of these programs.

Tom Tom should take heed though because their customer service does leave something to be desired even if they were not completely guilty as charged this time around.
Barsnake
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liked the Bit When She Said It Had Taken Her Down That Dead End And Jane Then Said "TURN AROUND WHEN POSSIBLE " YOU STUPID T*RT

My Colleage Just Listens As Well,
With His Pocket PC Thingy

Hence He Always Turns Early
unclebill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Satellite Navigation Systems From PC World

4th October 2005

Amanda McKinnie bought a satellite navigation system that could not direct her out of her local village, Rainham. She was left driving around in circles for ten months, while PC World refused to refund her the £405 she paid for it.

PC World had previously supplied her with three other satellite navigation systems. One directed her over the Dartford Crossing, regardless of her destination. Another was not loaded with any maps at all and a third spoke only Spanish.

The final system was by Tom Tom and cost more money, but it turned out to be the most problematic of all. Amanda spent 45 minutes following its directions just trying to leave Rainham, in the process it even directed her into someone's back garden!

PC World says it has sold thousands of satellite navigation systems to satisfied customers. It accepts it should have refunded Amanda's money sooner and has now given Amanda all her money back.

For those who don't know what you are talking about
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m afraid that I missed the TV programme. Does anybody know if it’s repeated on Freeview, if so when?

Anybody know which Rainham they’re talking about?

I reckon a lot of TomTom users will have located Rainham on their units to see. What’s the betting that the number SatNav equipped cars in the Rainham area will suddenly increase? Due to the nation playing the latest game of "navigate out of Rainham".

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Anybody know which Rainham they’re talking about?

I believe it was the one in Kent.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
unclebill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point , have often wondered what would happen when most of the driving population have Satnav , and then and a blocked major road causes lots of drivers to look for another route , and then the alternative route gets busy , and then lots of drivers try to find back roads etc , etc , maybe everyone would end up in the same farmers field !
Of course by then satnav routing will be much better , mapping will be bang up to date , and traffic warning will really work for every device .
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PC World says it has sold thousands of satellite navigation systems to satisfied customers. It accepts it should have refunded Amanda's money sooner and has now given Amanda all her money back.

The bit they should add is:

This woman is obviously too thick to follow directions from a Sat Nav system and we now accept that we should have never sold her anything more complicated than an A to Z in the first place.

Rolling Eyes
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like she didn't have any idea what was going on. I've heard far more good things about the 300 than I have bad.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she lives in Rainham, Kent and was putting in destinations in Rainham, Essex by mistake, then all routes would go over the Dartford Crossing.

Obviously not quite bright enough to realise how stupid she is Rolling Eyes
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclebill wrote:
Interesting point , have often wondered what would happen when most of the driving population have Satnav , and then and a blocked major road causes lots of drivers to look for another route , and then the alternative route gets busy , and then lots of drivers try to find back roads etc , etc , maybe everyone would end up in the same farmers field !
Of course by then satnav routing will be much better , mapping will be bang up to date , and traffic warning will really work for every device .

The other roads get blocked anyway - happened to me on the way home the other night, I gave up trying to tell Jane the blocked routes and just hoped my sense of direction was right (which it was) and got onto a less obvious route.

I think Jane needs an option on road blocked to say - avoid whole area around blockage

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: