Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Postcode search looping back to last Find !!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Postcode search looping back to last Find !!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pendoggett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ps73uk,
It makes sense but 95 % of the postcodes I search for have no house No so it is of little help to me.

But yes I'm sure it works with that input and thanks for pointing it out.

The main thing is other people have the same problem as me so the proof is
there.
Many thanks
Pendoggett....
ps73uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will drop another email to Garmin support when i get a chance in the morning and explain to them exactly what the problem is now. Fingers crossed they might be able to do something about it.

I'm 100% positive it's when you are using 0 as the house number, i have tried it in simulation mode now as well and had exactly the same results, input postcode with house number works fine, input postcode with the number 0 and it's a no go.
Paul
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not what I wanted to hear :x (with obvious appreciation for your own problem)

I bought mine to navigate from site to site for my job - that is to say - factory to factory - all with postcodes, never with a house number. 0 house code gets me close, a 1-9 is no use. Now I find that a zero will screw the machine and require a reset.

Come on Garmin - update please!!

How can Autoroute, and every map site on the web I try get the postcodes of these sites correct, but the i3 requires a house number?
ps73uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New email just sent to Garmin this morning:

ps73uk wrote:
Hello,
Just an update for you of the postcode problem on the i3 that i previously emailed you about, the problem is occuring when you enter a postcode and enter the house number as 0, after you have entered 3 or 4 different postcodes using this method it will constantly just keep going back to the 3rd or 4th postcode entered until the unit is hard reset, and then the whole process is repeated again, i have tried this in both simulated and real time navigation modes and it has the same problem in both, the postcode find will however work fine if you know the house number as well for example if i enter my postcode (DY2 7N*) and my house number (1) it will navigate to my house no problems, if i enter my postcode (DY2 7N*) and enter my house number as 0 then it will not navigate to my house but will only navigate to whatever postcode with the house number of 0 i entered 3rd.
Hope that helps clarify the problem for you a bit?, looking forward to hearing from you!
Best reagrds
Paul.

Paul
paul1808
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent a message off to Garmin as well, anyone had a reply off them about it yet?
ps73uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Result!
Had an email back from Garmin today to inform me that they are aware of the problem and their engineers are working on a software update that they hope to release shortly.

Well done Garmin, excellent customer services 10/10, a very happy customer here! :D
Paul
pendoggett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: i3 postcode prob's Reply with quote

Hi Folk's
I have finally taken my 3rd i3 back for a full refund, could not put
up with the sticking scroll wheel any longer and the postcode problem !

Saying that when it works properly it is a little gem so I have decided to purchase the larger brother more money but I was impressed with what the Garmin can do Smile

Now Garmin would like as much info on the problem with the postcode search ie "navigating to last find" so if all the people can send as much info to regards this problem so the engineers can replicate to upgrade the software.

Many thanks
Pendoggett...
ps73uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already given them a full rundown of the problem i'm having with the postcodes, Greg did email me back to say they were aware of the problem and a software upgrade would be released soon, i must admit though, if soon is going to turn into weeks then mine might have to go back as well. Sad At the moment i'm using tomtom 5 on my pda for the postcode facility and hoping that Garmin sort the postcode problem out.

I'm seeing a lot of people mention this sticking middle button problem as well, i've already returned 1 because of this problem, wonder if this is going to be a future problem on the i3's?
Paul
pendoggett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: i3 postcode prob's Reply with quote

Hi ps73uk,

The engineers for some reason cannot replicate what is happening
to the unit's we have, or have formally owned !! so they are stuck thats why any bit of info they are desperate to gain for the software upgrade.

Thanks for the quick responce.

Regards
Pendoggett....
ps73uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can see the 2 messages i sent them above, dont know what else i can add to what i have already told them really?, i will give it another week or so and if nothing happens i will reluctantly have to return mine as well because at the moment it's a £200 shelf ornament! Sad
Paul
hucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauljmuk wrote:
Not what I wanted to hear :x (with obvious appreciation for your own problem)

I bought mine to navigate from site to site for my job - that is to say - factory to factory - all with postcodes, never with a house number. 0 house code gets me close, a 1-9 is no use. Now I find that a zero will screw the machine and require a reset.

Come on Garmin - update please!!

How can Autoroute, and every map site on the web I try get the postcodes of these sites correct, but the i3 requires a house number?

I don't understand what you want the i3 to do. If you don't have a house number, how will it possibly be able to know whereabouts in the postcode your destination is? I couldn't do it myself with any resource, I'm not telepathic - all I could do was arrive at the correct street. Unless it had the option to enter the name of a business instead of the house number, I can't see any way forward.
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK try this

ONe of my clients sites is at BS32 4BX. Autoroute, Streetmap.co.uk and Multimap all put the arrow in the right place.

I3 doesnt

Simple as that.

Got loads and loads of other examples

DSL - Don't Say Leonard
JeffG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: i3 postcode prob's Reply with quote

pendoggett wrote:
The engineers for some reason cannot replicate what is happening to the units we have, or have formerly owned !! so they are stuck that's why any bit of info they are desperate to gain for the software upgrade.

It may well be related to the problem discussed in this post (navigating to wrong postcode).
trueno86
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauljmuk wrote:
OK try this

ONe of my clients sites is at BS32 4BX. Autoroute, Streetmap.co.uk and Multimap all put the arrow in the right place.

I3 doesnt

Simple as that.

hmm, i'm still debating whether to take this little unit back for a refund or not, lots of addresses that I will be using it for have ni number, but so far it has taken me to at least the road it is on or off
did it take you far away from where you were looking for when you typed in that postcode above ?
thing is, do ANY sat nav units do what you want them to do
I only went ahead and bought this because of the price, would be looking at 2nd hand items if i wa to get anything else..
hucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauljmuk wrote:
OK try this

I3 doesnt

Simple as that.

Firstly, still not sure what you mean. A postcode is not a particular POINT, but an AREA. There is no right answer. Without the house number it is a vague location.

Secondly, the postcode BS32 4BX actually points to PRECISELY the same point on http://www.streeetmap.co.uk as on my i3!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: