Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1.91.0044 navman route problems!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1.91.0044 navman route problems!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: 1.91.0044 navman route problems!! Reply with quote

Ok I have now given up on Navman....

Apart from the useless reception on my 3400 the re-routing has been driving me nuts!! Just downloaded the 1.91.0044 build (latest patch)and its still just as bad! example, driving from m25 to m1(heading for m6,the junction to come off the m25 onto the m1 was closed so i went to the next junction turned round came back and joined the m1 from the opposite side, all the time ignoring navman which was telling me to go back to the closed junction to join the m1(which im already on!)10 miles up the m1 its still trying to get me to go back to the m25 just so i can go through the closed junction!! Switched off before I was tempted to throw it out of the window!getting tom tom 2 now...had too many of the strange routes.This really should have been sorted long before now.
gracar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: 1.91.0044 navman route problems!! Reply with quote

I think you will find that if you double tap the screen it recalculates the route from scratch and resolves this issue of constantly suggesting you turn back. I would read through the forum messages for whichever product you decide to buy next and make sure it doesn't have a set of problems that, while they may be different, aren't just as irritating for you. It's fun being at the front end of some of this technology don't you think.
Tekkytyke
Occasional Visitor

I was on journey from The Copthorne Hotel at Merry Hill Dudley to go to South Yorkshire. My Navman 3400 /Ipaq 3850 (SP1) installed soon (10 minutes into journey)got itself into a 'loop' took me to the M5 motorway roundabout where I believe I should have turned left and promptly told me to take Exit 7 re routing back on myself (which I ignored). The map display showed the route going up and down and back up the road (roadworks were causing half mile tail backs.The next 15 miles were a nightmare as I found myself heading towards the North West (I should have been routing towards the M42) but the damn thing again kept trying to route me back on myself and at one point tried to head me towards London towards the M40(the routing arrows were showing in both directions on the screen) I also kept losing the route ETA and next junction info was replaced by a '?' even though the arrow was blue and continued to track my position. The journey South had been OK except that South of Sheffield on the M1 it tried to route me onto the 'Catcliffe' link road towards Sheffield centre and then Halfway down that road come all the way back and rejoin the M1 a detour of about 5 miles. All in all the re-routes cost me around 20-45 minutes 150 min journey.

One thing that is definitely needed for the next release are way points. The route it sometimes chooses is definitely not always the best but can be forgiven if it always gets you there eventually. Today if I had followed it to the letter I would still be near Birmingham 5 hours on and lost!! Yes I did do a soft reset and the wacky route was still there. (It also wanted me to do 360's round one or two roundabouts.)

I am sure the routing was better before the SP1 was installed. Oh yes and the blue bug is STILL present North West of Whitby.

Come on Navman you need to do better than this.   
jasb
Occasional Visitor

Re-gracar

"Tapping the screen twice" is all very well if you know that the navman has cracked up and is taking you possibly miles out of your way for no reason. I knew what it was doing,but someone who didnt know the area could end up wasting a lot of time/money (see the excellent reply from Tekkytyke).

" front end of some of this technology " is no excuse for poor software
gracar
Regular Visitor

I'm sorry I wan't of any help - I thought as you were "tempted to throw it out of the window" that you did know it had cracked up. I think most people do realise when it's going haywire - like that annoying trait of doing runs up and down either side of a stretch of the motorway. I was joking about being at the front end of the technology but its probably true that most of the current GPS software would stand up well in a stability comparison with some of the earlier iterations of Windows. I hope you enjoy it anyway - it is good fun, most of the time.
onbashi
Regular Visitor

what is this double tap, i tried it but it dont seem to work
sfi1
Regular Visitor

I've just spent a couple of weekends using a friends tomtom navigator 2 and have to say that the routing is much better. Two features which navman should incorporate in the next release is a demo & replay (preferably with variable speed playback).

At least with the demo feature you can play the route your proposing and see if there are any detours from that expected or errors with the maps.

I know that navman has a record function but there is no way to play back the route taken. I'm sure navman can play them back so Maybe it might be an idea to start recording journeys and then send navman the logs so that they can see all the routing problems that people are having. This has got to be better than trying to describe the problems just in words. I wonder if they would accept them.

It's a shame that we can't play them back ourselves as we could then be sure that the logs we sent actually demonstrate the problem.

Any comments ?
tcs17_tim
Lifetime Member

Interesting idea, recording the routes and sending them to Navman.

I am also getting p@#sed off with the rerouting on Motorways. Mine is now so unstable on most journeys I am thinking of moving to Tomtom Nav 2.

Is there an email address that you can send problem recordings to? If there is I will record every journey and then send off problems, most decent distance journeys for me.

I am not sure how recording works but does it stay active when it decided to reclaculate a route, I think you will find that when it spots one of these junctions it recalculates. . Also I have noticed the info shown is in 50miles do a left then all of a sudden it sasys something so I look at it has changed to get off at the next junction. I am sure its a recalc during a stable route.

You can look at the start of the journey if you zoom out a bit and move the map around to see where you are going, you have to change the view to the map with no instructions to do this.

On a possibly related subject, you can look at the 'instruction list' after planning a route but I find this is normally not in the proper order. I assume this is another bug in the software.
pann
Occasional Visitor

This vacation I was travelling thru Europe (Sweden, Denmark, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and France). On the motorways especially in Germany around Hamburg and Duisburg I was hit by this odd recalculation at motorway junctions quite often. For me that not knowing the area and with high speed motorways it was VERY IRRITATING!

On the other hand I must say that the Navman was excellent when driving in Paris and other cities. One recommendation when travelling long distances is to split up the route in smaller portions and put them in as favourites. One big benefit by doing this is that the recalculation time, when you have been fouled to take the wrong way in a motorway junction, speeds up a lot. So Navman BEFORE you release new hardware (such as 3450) fix the software first!

I have easier to live with TTFF times around some minutes rather then the routing is misleading me causing me driving to long losing both time and money!

sfi1
Regular Visitor

I too had lots of re-routing on motorway problems in Germany.

In response to tcs17_tim i'm sure that the recording was still going until the end of the journey even with re-routing but obviously can't verify this as there is no play function.

Dave, any chance that you could have words with your contacts at navman to see if they would accept logs as it seems the easiest way to illustrate them and it needs to be sorted soon before users switch to other gps solutions.

I can't believe that they haven't come across this problem themselves.

For users thinking of switching to tomtom my own observations are that the tomtom routing is more logical (better) but the maps aren't as good which can sometimes lead to it's own problems with instructions which are clearly impossible. If they were to use Navtech maps and allow cross-country routing then that would be the point at which i would seriously consider switching.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: