Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN 5.1 slower on VGA mode
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN 5.1 slower on VGA mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrems
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: TTN 5.1 slower on VGA mode Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a HX4700 with tomtom navigator 5.1 and I noticed that when I rotate the screen in TTN to work on landscape mode, the animations and framerate become slower. The 3D map animation looks like it was on TT3, not very smooth. When typing an address I can't write too fast or else it won't catch all the letters and even changing the menu pages it is slower...
But in the portrait mode, everything runs very smoothly.

Is this normal in VGA devices, and is there any workaround to make TTN smoother in landscape mode?

Thanks,

Andre
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is normal. Just imagine, for each frame you have to rotate 480x640x2 bytes and then bitblt them to the screen! this adds considerably to the processor load, since this rotation needs to be done manually (Windows CE doesn't have a built in function for that, and TomTom wouldn't use that anyhow).

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
weatheryoko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Windows CE doesn't support rotations???? Reply with quote

Lutz,
You're over here too.... How funny. Small world. Anyway, I'm confused by your comment. Why doesn't TT just implement the rotating (Portrait or Landscape) functionality of WM 2003 SE or WM 5.0? Other companies have/are doing this. Why can't TomTom? Or were you being sarcastic and I just missed it...

I have a new imate JasJar with the VGA screen and would very much like to use in landscape but right now the refresh rate is so bad, I just leave it in portrait mode. I hope that TT will eventually fix this....
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are thinking too narrow. TomTom support the Pocket PC, the MS Smartphone, Symbian devices, Palm, the GO - all with the same rendering engine. Therefore they do not use the registry, and they do not use the WM2003 SE rotation. They actually don't use any Pocket PC API calls, so TTN can also be run on pure Windows CE devices.

TomTom have no interest in specialization - they want their engine to be as generic as possible even if it means sacrificing performance.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
andrems
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically you mean that my iPaq Hx4700 will never be able to show Tomtom software smoothly on landscape mode?

What a waste, my PDA gets burning hot using all its processor capacity in tomtom and yet this lousy software is making fun of it when I rotate the screen.

Well, thanks for your help Lutz. Despite my frustration, at least now I understand why this happens. Sad
andrems
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came with another doubt.

A friend of mine has a iPAQ hx2750 also with tomtom 5.1.
In his device, rotating the screen doesn't affect the performance of the refresh rate. The 3D view and everything else is as smooth as the portrait mode.

Is this because hx4700 might have more pixels than the hx2750 and has to interpolate some pixels, or might have something to do with the ammount of RAM of each device?
Johnmcl7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the HX2750 has half the resolution, so it's obviously a lot less rendering work.

John
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrems wrote:

Is this because hx4700 might have more pixels than the hx2750 and has to interpolate some pixels?

TomTom is not interpolating. Everything has to be rendered to scale, and then rotated - four times a second.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: