Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman 4400 Bluetooth Shipping Shortly
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman 4400 Bluetooth Shipping Shortly
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iliamel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navman 4400 Bluetooth Shipping Shortly Reply with quote

To make things clear to me:

Does it mean if I buy the GPS 4400 and SmartST Voice Navigation Software (covering 16 European countries), I can connect this to my ipac and I can navigate ?

Then this price looks more interesting then the one of TomTom, isn't it ?
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navman 4400 Bluetooth Shipping Shortly Reply with quote

As far as I can assertain, the GPS 4400 won't be locked to the Smart ST software, but as far as obtaining it separately, not sure.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I suspect because they're using AAA batteries, that up to 30 hours was probably achieved with NiMh batteries. Usually manufacturer specs can normally be a little higher than what the average user finds due to optimum test lab conditions, so you may only see 20-25, but still, compare this to the current 5-6 hours usage from the current range of Bluetooth GPS Receivers (excluding the GlobalSat), it's sounds like it's going to be more of what people are going to want in terms of battery life.

One thing also to bear in mind although putting AAA batteries in could be a little bit of a pain, especially with charging unless it has a built in charger circuit, but compare this to the current range of Li-Ion batteries in say the Emtac and the new TomTom BT GPS, these have a complete battery lifetime expectancy of charges of around 450. So if you charge your GPS on a daily basis, just over a year you'll start to see the battery tail off and start getting less duration from it, but with the AAA batteries, your Bluetooth GPS won't effective be dead in a year and a half.
Scholasticus
Occasional Visitor

Sorry Dave, but I was looking at this old link:

Navman.com

MA
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Navman themselves.

In talks I've had with Navman over previous months they were looking at around 10-15 hours usage, but thought they could better that.

The Navman websites now says "With an impressive operation time of 30 continuous hours, a data transmission range of up to 10 meters and a GPS position accuracy of 5 meters, the GPS4400 delivers unprecedented performance."

I think Expansys are going on old information (as always!).
Scholasticus
Occasional Visitor

This is what Navman say about how long the unit operates with 3 AAA batteries:

"The unit operates for a minimum of 10 hours on 3 AAA Alkaline batteries (included)"

Where does the figure for 30 hours come from?

MA

Dave
Frequent Visitor

I think Lee is probably right. If you look at the Navman 3000/3400 sleeve, it's been very difficult to buy these seperately. I suspect Navman will sell the 4400 seperately to Navman customers to allow upgrading to the 4400, but I don't know if this will be at release.
Leenig
Regular Visitor

I presume the new Bluetooth GPS receiver will be locked to new software which will mean purchasing the Navman ST software again at full retail prices. Those of us will the lastest version will have to pay out again, this appears unfair to me -am i correct?

Lee
FishSlice
Occasional Visitor

Any ideas on pricing for the standalone receiver, without the SmartST software ?

Cheers

Si.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: