Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TomTom Car Kit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TomTom Car Kit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: New TomTom Car Kit Reply with quote

Hi

There is one massive advantage with the Seidio as far as I am concerned - it has a built-in speaker which should overcome the crap volume on the Ipaq 5400 series. As I'm sure any 5400 users will know up to now it has been necessary to turn down the radio to hear the voice commands It also has a 'spare' power supply which is ideal for powering a remote GPS such as the Socket Bluetooth one.

Cheers

Ted
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: New TomTom Car Kit Reply with quote

Andrew,

If you do buy either the Arkon or the Sedio Multimedia mounts specify that you have a 5450. The jack to connect the amplifier is at the bottom of the 5450 whereas the 36xx/38xx/39xx PDAs it is on the top. You need a longer lead.

The output from the 5450 is somewhat reduced due mainly to the fact that HP installed a much smaller speaker.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by La passione on 15 August 2003

Am i right in assuming that the Arkon PDA holder will power the Tom Tom Blue Tooth Receiver?

Not sure about the Arkon, but the Seidio comes with a seperate cable that can be used for charging other devices that have a similar socket. Seidio also have a

Bluetooth Receiver Charging Cable. Both Arkon and Seidio mounts are the same, just that Seidio I'm led to believe manufacture and also sell the product onto other companies.
Boxbrownie
Lifetime Member

Hi David,

Sorry for the delay in replying have been away in France, the SSeido mount has two small clip/grips that fit into the Dell Axim to hold it in the belt holder, but these are unfortunately slithgy out of align with the Axim's small recesses on the bottom. There seems to be no way to chnage these without destrying them completey, so the belt mount is useless as it is, which is a shame as the service I got from Seido when ordering the mount was outstanding.

Best regards David
La passion
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Dave re Tom Tom car kit. The Arkon PDA holder looks like it is the best option as the speaker on the iPAQ 5450 leaves alot to be desired.

I can't understand why it has dropped in level to that of the 3970.

Am i right in assuming that the Arkon PDA holder will power the Tom Tom Blue Tooth Receiver?

BTW.. Great Site keep up the good work.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

We don't have any more info on the car kit. We're hoping to get one in the near future though.
La passion
Occasional Visitor

Dave,

Tom Tom's Car Kit looks like the answer to ones prayers (to many wires in the car) but i have been told conflicting answers.......does the car kit support the ipaq5450. I've asked Tom Tom direct, but todate they have not answered.
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

I have never felt confident enough to buy a car kit for our iPaq! When we first received our iPaq/TomTom we were due to go on holiday almost the next day, so had no time to decide which of the millions of available bits of kit would fit the dashboard/miss the indicator stalk/not hit the fan etc etc, so I cut a Flora margarine tub down, threaded a knitting needle through it to hold the iPaq in place, and used extra strong velcro to attach it to the dashboard. It works so well that we have now covered it in sticky backed plastic! It has been modified since . . . . I replaced the knitting needle with a bit of dowelling! Total cost: £0.59p. Buffy :0)
Dolo
Occasional Visitor

I Bought an Arkon Muitimedia mount for my Dell Axim, but I had to take it back because it powers the Dell via its sync port, this means I couldnt connect my Garmin GPS.

I then bought a Proclip and Brodit mount, this is now a very neat installation, albiet the fact that the speaker on the Arkom would have been appreciated.
simkna
Regular Visitor

If you want an active mount for a 2210, Brodit do one.

http://www.easytrade.net/brodit_shop/product.dip?item=1188430&fid=1188469

I am thinking about making an active mount for my Tosh using an old cradle. Anybody got any good sources of just the little swivel bits like in the middle of the Brodit mounts?

Si.
David886
Occasional Visitor

Boxbrownie

What do you mean by "Seido belt case has fixing clip that does not line up correctly with Axim" ? which clip do you refer to? I just got a Seidio Dell belt clip. I would like to try what you did.

David886
Boxbrownie
Lifetime Member

Thanks Julie,

I have been working on turning a seido belt clip holder for my Axim into a powered car mound using the TT2 suction mount, but unfortunately the seido belt case has fixing clips that do not line up correctly with the Dell Axim so it does not fit! This is just the kind of mount I have been waiting for and will be ordered as soon as it becomes available, although if its anything like TomTom's other release dates it may not be here until Christmas!

Best regards David
J.D.
Occasional Visitor

David886 thanks for the info. I have just been on to Seidio's website and ordered a swivel mount for my Ipaq 3870. Can't wait for it to arrive!!!!!!
David886
Occasional Visitor

I agreed with Tedkay. Seidio powered swivel mount has massive advantages.

1) Prices

Seidio : 42 Euro

Arkon : 70 Euro

TomTom : 69 Euro

The above prices include VAT.

Effective 7/15, Seidio can ship you order directly from their new facility in Europe.

2) Tom Tom car kit does not have the speaker. Seidio and Arkon one has one. (Seidio and Arkon mount are the same one)

3) Seidio offers swivel adadptor to turn their mount into a swivel one which is good for GPS users. Only Seidio offers the powered swivel mount.

4) Seidio mount offers an extra charging port which can be used to charge an additional PDA, wireless phones ,Digital Camera and remote GPS.

5) Seidio mount is an universal one. You do not have to buy another mount when you upgrade your Ipaq 3800 to Ipaq 2215.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

July 14, 2003, Amsterdam -TomTom BV, the leading provider of personal navigation systems, today announces the availability of the TomTom Car Kit for Pocket PC users. The new product is a neat and convenient cradle that keeps a Pocket PC fully charged and securely in place in the car.

Powered from any standard in-car cigarette lighter socket, the TomTom Car Kit is neat and non-intrusive to the driver. Simply plug it in, slide in your Pocket PC and away you go - the TomTom Car Kit holds the device securely in place whilst powering it at the same time. A range of components are included that let users install the TomTom Car Kit either temporarily or permanently, meaning that it can be moved from car to car easily.

The TomTom Car Kit is an indispensable addition to TomTom Navigator 2, the personal navigation system for Pocket PCs. When using it in combination with TomTom Navigator 2 and the standard TomTom GPS receiver, it offers a discreet all-in-one wiring car kit solution. It is also the ideal cradle for your Pocket PC when using the TomTom Wireless GPS solution.

The TomTom Car Kit is available for the following devices: iPAQ 38xx, 39xx, Fujitsu Siemens Pocket LOOX, O2 xda, T-Mobile MDA, SX56, Qtek and Dell Axim.

The TomTom Car Kit will be available at the beginning of August from leading European retailers for the recommended retail price of £49 including VAT. For more information on TomTom Car Kit or TomTom Navigator 2, please refer to our web site: www.tomtom.com

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: