Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sapphire hardwired to Car 12V socket
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sapphire hardwired to Car 12V socket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peteoheat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Sapphire hardwired to Car 12V socket Reply with quote

I'm interested in doing this to keep my setup really neat and tidy.

I've positioned the GPS mouse behind the tax disc on the passenger side of the car and run the cable poked into the trim to line up nicely with my brodit mount.

But then I have the cigar lighter adapter and coiled wire hanging down in front of the stero messing up the setup.

I'm interested in wiring in the GPS mouse into the back of the socket. But to do this I would need one of those funny connectors that Royaltek use now (not the PS/2 type), a connector that plugs into the iPAQ and to know which pin connects to which.

Any the connectors available to purchase from Maplin / RS or anywhere? Any clues on the pinouts required?

Mark
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Sapphire hardwired to Car 12V socket Reply with quote

My hardwired Brodit mount connects to a cigar lighter female socket I installed behind the dashboard. Maplin sell those.

Is that solution practical - or is there not enough room?

David
peteoheat
Occasional Visitor

David,

Just been away for a week to Cornwall where TTN proved very useful. Hence the late reply. Unfortunately there is just not enough room for me to do what you suggest in my car.

Mark
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Mark,

Ah well - another good idea bites the dust! There's loads of room behind the glove box in my Zafira - enough to shove in the wiring loom for my phone car kit (from which the cigar lighter socket is wired), the car kit control box itself, and the Brodit mount's power adapter. I could probably get a few more bits and pieces in there as well if I was careful.

David
deeveedee
Occasional Visitor

Hi Petoehad,

I just noticed that you had dismantled the Y-connector of the sapphire.

Mine had a loose contact and with opening the connector it seemed that quite a number of cables were loose.

Are you able to provide me with the colourscheme of the cables

Sapphire->12Volt->Ipaq3850

Thanks
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PetroHeat,

I have found with a number of installations that I have done that it is almost always possible to remove the stereo and squeeze the cable through, or tuck it round the trim.

I have done this on many cars and have suceeded in hiding the wiring pretty well. Once you can get behind the dash you can normally find pleanty of space. The trick is getting back there.

What car do you have?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: