Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New - needing advice
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New - needing advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alanmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: New - needing advice Reply with quote

Hello

I want a GPS for use for navigation in car and transfer to motorhome when needed. Also should be usable when hiking using Memory-map.

Is the Mio 168 the best option? Are the look-a-likes as good? Is there another option?

I see a lot of Mios are sold with pirated Tom Tom - do these work and what are the disadvantages - not being able to access upgarades I suppose?

Sorry to ask so much but I am a sucket where these sort of things are concerned!!!!

Best wishes

Alan
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest disadvantage with pirated software is that you breaking the law by stealing - no other way to put it really.
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup you are physically stealing someone’s work and I have heard people saying if they made the software cheaper everyone could buy it (I don’t belive this as you will always get people that want something for nothing.) If you do go down that road I would not expect much support from the person you buy it from or the place you download it from.
Alanmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - just about 9/10 items on ebay have pirated TT and doubt I will but one that has.

What about the other issues re best solution for transferable navigation plus hand held for walking? Is there an alternative to Mio and are the clones as good?

Alan

Alan
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah there are a lot on ebay and tomtom, i remember hearing something about tomtom having a small team that was designated to get these removed.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan, Both the IPAQ-4700 and my XDA units work great with both TomTom and Memory map, although I prefer the IPAQ for the Memory map the VGA screen makes a far beter picture - on anything not equiped with a VGA the Memory map pixelates at the fully zoomed in setting, not too bad but it just looks beter on VGA.
In the car I use a wired GPS unit that charges the PDA and powers the GPS, for walking I use a Bluetooth unit, the BT will work for both but I just prefer the hard wired option in the car. There are loads of different PDAs to choose from but as you are already awary most of them on e-bay come with pirate software, You can still buy just the PDA and make a saving in this way then purchase the software you need -
One final point don't forget the issue of storage space the maps need to go onto SD card and large areas on Memory Map can consume alot of space - go for the largest you can get, also some PDA's will accept SD and CF so you can use both for added space - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: