Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - M25 Gantry cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

M25 Gantry cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: M25 Gantry cameras Reply with quote

Browsing through some previous posts here, the consensus seems to be that the M25 cameras only come into action when the variable speed limit is in force (although no-one seems ABSOLUTELY sure Smile )

Is there a reason then, why they are all marked as 70mph cameras in the speed-zoned database?

Wouldn't they be better off put in the "tbc" category? (My icon has a "?" in a red circle for those).
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a new camera type - for example 'variable speed gatso' etc.

On a lighter side - has anyone ever managed to speed on that stretch of the M25 - or am I just unlucky to have never managed to even get anywhere near the speed limit! The last few times I've been there - I haven't even got out of third gear.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove round there last week, while the limit was 70, and I definitely got bleeps, on my Snooper, from some of the cameras. I know that the cameras may have been switched off, but better to be safe than sorry!

I would suggest that the cameras don't go in the TBC category, but that we assign them a special limit e.g. @?? or @Var, but don't set a speed, so that you will get an alert at any speed.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
jkljkl6
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Lucky Git Reply with quote

I think either I was either very lucky or the Met are slow in sending them out, but I managed a smooth 100+ through there about a month or 2 ago with no restrictions in place.
Obviously no GPS or nuffink attached!
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know from experience that getting a blip on the radar detector just means that the emitter is working, not that there is necessarily a working camera attached :P Exclamation .

Can anyone with local knowledge tell us if the cameras are used at 70mph when the variable limit is off Question

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that the M25 Variable Speed limit gantry cameras are only operational when a variable speed limit is in force.

However, which group to put them in presents a quandary, we don't want to create more and more categories and whilst I agree that listing them as 70 is incorrect you'd have to be pretty dim not to know the speed limit when a variable lower limit is in force as every gantry displays the speed limit! These are compulsory rather than advisory speeds when lit.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

I agree with you Laughing , but I was thinking about it from 2 points of view:

1) my software only reminds me if I'm going faster than what it thinks is the limit. So if I'm doing 60 while the signs are flashing 40 then a) I won't get a warning & b) I deserve a ticket Exclamation . But if I'm only doing a few miles over, I'll still get the ticket Sad

2) given the sterling work that everybody at PGPSWorld does, I'd like to reduce the workload. If we leave the cameras without limits, people, thinking they are working for the common good, will keep recording them only for Richard to have to filter them out!

3) (I know I said 2 POV Embarassed )
I think this is a feature of British motoring that is on the increase cf. M42, so the sooner we can come up with a plan the better Exclamation

mjhatcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can confirm that the M25 Variable Speed limit gantry cameras are only operational when a variable speed limit is in force.

That was my understanding, but I was travelling round there at 4am the other night. Definitely no variable speed limits on!! The one car that was on the opposite carriageway was doing a fair lick and I was surprised to see one of the cameras flash 8O . Whether that was a glitch or not, I'm not sure, but ever since, I err on the side of caution....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: